Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions Post all legal information and questions here about laws in Michigan.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicalovesevan View Post
Sorry, new to PTO, what is "a flop"? It doesnt sound good.
A denial of parole.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Well, we're all in for a bumpy ride now.
Get this from the freep.
Gov.-elect Rick Snyder said this morning that he has tapped three veterans of the administration of former Gov. John Engler to lead his transition team.

Read more: Snyder names transition team picks | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010110...#ixzz14EjJyNhX

Engler is the nutcase that got rid of good time, got the legislature to change the parole guidelines so inmates cannot appeal a decision, etc., etc...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Reading all this makes me sick to my stomach. I wish my son wasn't in this tangled garbage. I would love to hear some good news.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Hi jlzkmm,
I'm not sure if its retroactive or not either. I assumed that it was because when Granholm proposed it as part of the budget they said that it would cause the release of around 5,000 prisoners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzkmm View Post
ash12388...I may be incorrect, but I believe the Good Time Bill is not retroactive and therefore would not help anyone who has already been convicted and sentenced. Unless this has changed since the last time I read the bill, which has been quite some time... Sorry...
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM

ash, you have to consider that there are about 15,000 inmates still locked up that are past their Early Release Date. Once they let most of them out then they can worry about the retroactive thing. I'm quite sure that the 5,000 would be mostly the ones that are already way past their ERD's. IMO the good time bills are down the tubes for the time being anyways with the way the vote just turned out. I could be wrong but I think you have got your hopes way too high and are very new to all of this prison stuff. This has been dragging on for years for many of us and just when we thought it had a good shot at getting passed the tables have all turned. Hopefully this new Governor doesn't follow in Engler's footsteps. The only good thing is that Michigan's economy is so bad and the budget is such a mess that he can't really continue on as it has been in previous years because we can't afford it.

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 11-03-2010 at 09:39 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post
ash, you have to consider that there are about 15,000 inmates still locked up that are past their Early Release Date. Once they let most of them out then they can worry about the retroactive thing. I'm quite sure that the 5,000 would be mostly the ones that are already way past their ERD's. IMO the good time bills are down the tubes for the time being anyways with the way the vote just turned out. I could be wrong but I think you have got your hopes way too high and are very new to all of this prison stuff. This has been dragging on for years for many of us and just when we thought it had a good shot at getting passed the tables have all turned. Hopefully this new Governor doesn't follow in Engler's footsteps. The only good thing is that Michigan's economy is so bad and the budget is such a mess that he can't really continue on as it has been in previous years because we can't afford it.
At time i wish we were like other states. where they have good times and conjul visit. I wish we could changes the laws our self
Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermom View Post
Well, we're all in for a bumpy ride now.
Get this from the freep.
Gov.-elect Rick Snyder said this morning that he has tapped three veterans of the administration of former Gov. John Engler to lead his transition team.

Engler is the nutcase that got rid of good time, got the legislature to change the parole guidelines so inmates cannot appeal a decision, etc., etc...
I just dont get it how hard is it to let inmate go
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post

Hi hope4future,
I think you misunderstood my post. I know that there are many inmates that are being held past their ERD and obviously they should be the first ones released. But in order for that to happen the Good Time bill would have to be retroactive because these people were sentenced years ago. If it wasn't retroactive it wouldn't be any help in reducing cost and the prison population for at least a year after its passing because it would only apply to people sentenced after it was passed.

I agree that these bills are likely dead now because they haven't made any progress in the last year and the new governor's counsel is against them.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM

Default Michigan Laws good time in Mich

Hell,

is this petition still generating votes to have the good time brought back to Michigan prisoner? If so could I get the address to sign this petition and have others do so also.

Thank you,

Vicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsho325 View Post
I have been sending a weekly e-mail to the House of Representatives to show support for House Bills 4497, 4498 and 4499 which would bring back 'good time' by repealing the Truth in Sentencing bill. I finally got a response but it was only to direct me to another place to contact. This is what I got back...

Hello,

Representative Meadows is the chair of the Judiciary Committee. His office phone number is 517/373-1786. He decides which bills will go on the agenda.

Malika Abdur-Rashid
Judiciary Committee Clerk
517/373-7256
mabdur@house.mi.gov

That is good information! I plan to call that office and also to find the e-mail address for Rep. Meadows so he can be blessed with my weekly e-mailings!

The set of bills is currently active in the legislature and the more support they get the faster they will move.