Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > 911 > Prison Petitions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Petitions Post all petitions here.

View Poll Results: Have you signed the Federal Prison Work Incentive Act?
Yes, I support it 100% 138 60.00%
No, don't care to 2 0.87%
Not sure what it is (please read below) 49 21.30%
I will now that I know it exist. Thank you 41 17.83%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default Have you signed the Federal Prison Work Incentive Act?

Ok guys, check this out. I have found Prison Talk to be a source of comfort because it's socially fullfilling to me. Although I love chatting with you all, my main focus is my man. I see that most of you talk about how much you love your man. I want to know if you have taken the time out to sign the petition that can potentially bring your man home before his actual release date. My man has been in prison for ten years and if they pass that law, his time will be served. So, I tell everyone that I know that has a loved one in federal prison to sign this thing so that we can all be reunited with our loved ones. I may be in the chatroom, and I may even talk witha few of you over the phone, but I can bet YOU my two front teeth, that I read up on the situation with my man. I educate myself on stuff, I share with others, I attend town hall meetings, I called President Obama's office (I got the secretary to pass it on), I emailed a State Representative of my local House of Rep ( he emailed me back saying that he supports my petititon), and I track this law. What have you done to help your loved one? If you can say that you have done nothing, then you must don't want him home with you. I'm not bashing anyone, but I speak my mind in a respectful way. I want my man home and trust me that he knows how lucky he is to have a woman that loves him as much as I do. I am the luckiest one and that's why I do all that I do for him. I don't want a trophy or cookie for it; I just want my man. If you haven't yet signed this act, then get up on your act and do something instead of crying about how much you love him, but do nothing to help him.

To any of you that don't know about this act...... (HR 1475) (You can also Google this to readup on it)

It is a work release program that will allow federal inmates to earn "good time" credits and will reduce his sentence. There is a forum in here that shows you how to calculate his good time. I used the calculator and if the law is passed, they have to release him. Go to http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1475/show and show your support to make this happen.
"together we can bring our loved ones home for good"

Last edited by khansgirl; 08-28-2009 at 01:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Mrs.Delgadillo!!!!

WOW i think what you are doing is a great thing!!!!! My husband is a short timmer! So I wont be needing the services but I do want to tell you that ur man is a very lucky man!!!
GOOD JOB GIRL!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotti's Wifey View Post
WOW i think what you are doing is a great thing!!!!! My husband is a short timmer! So I wont be needing the services but I do want to tell you that ur man is a very lucky man!!!
GOOD JOB GIRL!!!
Thank you. Although you won't be needing the services, you can still support the law for other's. We should support each other regardless if there is a gain for us or not. You never know who you know or love will be in the system again and if this law is not in affect due to your lack of vote, then what? I'm not being nasty or anything, but we don't need to just think of ourselves.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

3/12/2009--Introduced.
Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to allow reductions in the prison term of a federal prisoner whose record of conduct shows that such prisoner has substantially observed all prison regulations and has not been subjected to punishment.
Allows the Director of the Bureau of Prisons to grant a reduction in a prisoner's term for actual employment in an industry or camp or for exceptionally meritorious service or for performing duties of outstanding importance in connection with institutional operations.

Last edited by khansgirl; 08-28-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I LOVE MY DARIO

Talking

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN MENTIONING IT TO ME BUT NEVER WITH ANY DETAILS...AS SOON AS I READ YOUR THREAD I E-MAILED MY REPRESENTATIVE TO FIND OUT MORE AND WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP...THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to THINGY For This Useful Post:
khansgirl (08-28-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINGY View Post
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN MENTIONING IT TO ME BUT NEVER WITH ANY DETAILS...AS SOON AS I READ YOUR THREAD I E-MAILED MY REPRESENTATIVE TO FIND OUT MORE AND WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP...THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!
You're welcome. I pray that you hubby comes home soon to you and your family. You can go to that website via the link in my forum to learn more.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Probably a lot of people have signed already. This bill has been around for a while.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 PM

Awesome!!! I just signed in and voted for it. I do anything I can to try and get my man home as soon as I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisGirl6575 For This Useful Post:
khansgirl (08-28-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poni'swoman View Post
Probably a lot of people have signed already. This bill has been around for a while.
I know that it has, but if you'll look at the poll above; it show's that most knew nothing about it. It was introduced in March 2009, so no it haven't been around long. It was in affect back in the 80's, but they are looking to bring it back. Have you signed it since it's been around a loooooooooong time?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Honestly, I'd never heard of it until just now. But I support it 100%. My fiance got 5 years and has another 4 years left after his time served. I get really confused on the good time and HWH stuff; but none the less I think this is a great idea and I am so for it!!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Wow! Hope it passes.........
Old 08-29-2009, 01:36 AM

Default done.

Thanks for posting.
It got my vote.

" I support!"
Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

We got a hater yall. Someone saying that they don't care to sign it. I just don't hope that you don't ever need anything or anyone. Karma is something else. The same one that don't support it, might the one that will pray for it later. It's sad that people need to be in a situation in order for them to symphasize with other's. I'm glad that I'm not a cold-hearted person. I thank God everyday that my heart is filled with love. It just shows what some have gone through in their life. For those of you that know how to pray, please pray for the bitter. Thanks

Last edited by khansgirl; 08-29-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Donation Award 

I am involved in a veterans and military families organization that works to advocate on issues involving our community and encouraging our members to stay in contact with our respective Representatives and Senators with regard to their stand on various issues. It is a great model for getting our elected officials to be aware of this legislation (HR1475) and to influence them to vote for its passage.

I suggest we all do the same. Nothing beats a lobbying call or email that begins with the statement.... "I am your constituent and I vote. I support passage of HR 1475....etc." Just check their positions on the their official webpages....

HERE'S HOW...

1. Go to :
www.senate.gov
www.house.gov

2. select your specific representatives and senators.

3. Look over their website to familiarize yourself with their positions

4. Click contact and let your voice be heard via email.

5. Follow up with a phone call. They have staffers who handle various issues. Ask to speak to the staffer who handles this issue and let your voice be heard. It's just that easy and they track the number of emails and phone calls for each issue/bill.

They work for us.... tell them what you want!

I am going to the webpages of our WA Congressperson right now to do just that. Please join me.

-Julie
-Matthew 25:36
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seattle118 For This Useful Post:
1and1makes2 (09-04-2009), acarter34 (11-30-2010), arugula (11-30-2010), boflipflops36 (09-04-2009), CHINA BABY (10-08-2009), khansgirl (08-29-2009), Mom of 1 in 15 (09-04-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle118 View Post
I am involved in a veterans and military families organization that works to advocate on issues involving our community and encouraging our members to stay in contact with our respective Representatives and Senators with regard to their stand on various issues. It is a great model for getting our elected officials to be aware of this legislation (HR1475) and to influence them to vote for its passage.

I suggest we all do the same. Nothing beats a lobbying call or email that begins with the statement.... "I am your constituent and I vote. I support passage of HR 1475....etc." Just check their positions on the their official webpages....

HERE'S HOW...

1. Go to :
www.senate.gov
www.house.gov

5. Follow up with a phone call. They have staffers who handle various issues. Ask to speak to the staffer who handles this issue and let your voice be heard. It's just that easy and they track the number of emails and phone calls for each issue/bill.

I am going to the webpages of our WA Congressperson right now to do just that. Please join me.

-Julie
Hi, thanks for the information. I must admit that you're my kind of gal, lol. I'm not one to just sit there and not get things done. I'll definitely into it and please let me know of anything else that you're doing because I will support you, ok? Be blessed and I'm going to send you a friends request.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks Khansgirl, I looking forward to being friends....

Also, here is a site where we can track the status of this bill (any bill):

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1475

As a note, this bill is sponsored by:Rep. Danny Davis [D-IL7]

And co-sponsored by:
Cosponsors:
Donna Christensen [D-VI]
Robert Brady [D-PA1]
Corrine Brown [D-FL3]
William Clay [D-MO1]
Elijah Cummings [D-MD7]
Chaka Fattah [D-PA2]
Al Green [D-TX9]
Jesse Jackson [D-IL2]
Eddie Johnson [D-TX30]
John Lewis [D-GA5]
Zoe Lofgren [D-CA16]
Bobby Rush [D-IL1]
Edolphus Towns [D-NY10]
Maxine Waters [D-CA35]
Henry Waxman [D-CA30]

Ask your Representatives to co-sponsor HR 1475. It is a public way they can show their support and that they are planning to vote for this legislation.

by the way... HR before the bill number means that it is a bill proposed in the House of Representatives, so contact your Representative about passage. There may be parallel legislation in the Senate. I'll check.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seattle118 For This Useful Post:
CHINA BABY (10-08-2009), sorrynsad (10-22-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 05:40 PM

Is this just for ones in a federal prison? Or does it work with state prisons. Sorry Im new to all this and not sure of a lot of things.

I Love Your Love The Most!!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Donation Award 

Last year, this bill was introduced as HR7089 and it got stuck in committee. This is a small group of Reps who preview and preapprove of bills to be referred to the full House of Reps.

HR1475 has been referred to the following committees/subcommittees:

The bill has been referred to the following committees:
House Judiciary
House Judiciary, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security

The trick is to determine the members of these committees (just click on the link) and target them to support the bill. Only if they pass it on for full review of the House of Reps does HR1475 have a chance. And last year it died in committee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle118 For This Useful Post:
khansgirl (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle118 View Post

HERE'S HOW...

1. Go to :
www.senate.gov
www.house.gov

-Julie

I just wrote my representative for the second time and I won't let up. I'm not giving up until they pass this law. Thanks for the support.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Donation Award 

"Is this just for ones in a federal prison? Or does it work with state prisons. Sorry Im new to all this and not sure of a lot of things."

Per the overview on http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1475 :

To amend title 18, United States Code, to restore the former system of good time allowances toward service of Federal prison terms, and for other purposes.

You could always ask your state representative to introduce similar state legislation in your state.

Don't worry about just starting out. We are a democracy and there are certain procedures for making things happen. They aren't difficult to understand, and once a person knows how the system works, it is much easier to advocate for change!
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle118 For This Useful Post:
khansgirl (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 PM

KG - YOU ROCK! Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I signed and THANK YOU for all you do!
The Following User Says Thank You to totallyclueless For This Useful Post:
khansgirl (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM

I will pass along to family and friends!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to totallyclueless For This Useful Post:
khansgirl (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thumbs down A few days until Congress meet again to discuss this law

Hey Guys, Congress meet again on September 8, 2009. We need to get as many people to go to the site to sign the petition. You can also email your local state representative.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thumbs up Call president obama and tell him what you think.

Estimates are that a personal phone call has 1000 times the impact of a petition and 10 times a personal letter. Call to follow-up on your email, let them know it is coming, and to give the personal touch that only voice can.
  • Barack Obama (202) 224-2854
I called and it took only 1 minute. They have someone just to count the number of calls. Tell them.... " I support the HR 1475 (Federal Prison Work Incentive Act)" As simple as that!!!!!!!:thumbsup :
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Not sure if I support it. I would have 2 months ago, but now. Maybe behind bars the entire time is best for some. However, I need to read the Bill. I would much rather a counseling, live change type work on ones self for discounted time as opposed to just labor work. People need to come out of prison a changed person with different thought processes, values and priorities if they went there quilty. Not a hater, just don't know where I stand on this issue yet, like I said, I need to read the Bill.