Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,803 Times in 4,325 Posts
Default Second Chances

Who says ex-felons can't find work? Check this out:

Michael Vick is back in the NFL.
The disgraced quarterback, who has not played in the league since 2006, reached a deal Thursday night with the Philadelphia Eagles.
The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback was convicted two years ago this month of conspiracy and running a dogfighting operation, and was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison. He also was suspended indefinitely by the NFL.
Commissioner Roger Goodell conditionally lifted Vick's suspension on July 27, allowing him to sign with a team, but there had appeared to be few interested clubs.
Earlier Thursday, CBS released details of its interview with Vick that will air on "60 Minutes" Sunday night. In his sit-down with James Brown, the newest Eagle pours out remorse for his prominent role in a grisly dogfighting ring, reflects on his time in prison and says that he deserved every bit of his stunning fall from grace.
"I was wrong, man," Vick tells Brown. "I feel, you know, some tremendous hurt behind what happened. And, you know, I should have took the initiative to stop it all. . . . I didn't. I didn't step up. I wasn't a leader."
Vick goes on to say that his time in Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary in Kansas was spent stewing over his actions and often crying at night in his cell.

Link to rest of story:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...gles_nest.html
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Loving Wife

Default hes full of crap

if he wouldnt of gotten caught he'd still be fighting dogs. prob still does hes just going to be more careful who he fights them with this time. did his court records say he could still have dogs?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Cell? Wasn't he in a camp and not the USP?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail05 View Post
if he wouldnt of gotten caught he'd still be fighting dogs.
Same sentiment could be said for alot of PTO members or their loved ones. If they hadnt got caught they would still be out there doing what they were doing. I dont see why he doesnt deserve a second chance to prove himself just like anyone else thats been to prison.

Last edited by PTO-97580; 08-14-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outraged View Post
Same sentiment could be said for alot of PTO members or their loved ones. If they hadnt got caught they would still be out there doing what they were doing. I dont see why he doesnt deserve a second chance to prove himself just like anyone else thats been to prison.
Good point!!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajap View Post
Cell? Wasn't he in a camp and not the USP?
I believe he was in the Leavenworth USP, which is now medium custody.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by outraged View Post
I agree,

There are alot of people that want their love ones to have a second chance, but will deny it for others. If they deny it for others, how can they expect the LORD to bless their love one.
Even if they are an unbeleiver, how can they expect doors to be open for them, when they don't want this for someone else. It can boomarang and shut doors in their life. HOW SAD
Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM

I am glad to see Vick get his second chance. Probably most of the inmates in the
BOP would still be doing what they did to get there if they weren't caught. Hats off to the Philadelphia Eagles for giving Vick a chance to prove himself and to Tony Dungy for mentoring him. I know this whole experience has taught me to not be so judgemental of others.
The Following User Says Thank You to cappuccino For This Useful Post:
only1love (08-19-2009)
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Love in Friendship

I believe in second chances too. I have made so many friends who really, desperately need one. But now that I think about it, I guess we all have needed second chances.

But I did have to laugh when I opened the thread and found out who it was about. I hope he has learned his lesson and won't be doing anything like that again.

People do learn. Sometimes. I sure try to!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Donation Award 

So now all those released inmates should begin their job interviews with "You know, the NFL gave Michael Vick a second chance - and I'm hoping you'll give me one." Just don't apply at the dog pound!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
HisAngel2 (08-19-2009), only1love (08-19-2009)
Old 08-14-2009, 06:06 PM
LBI, NJ lovin user

This is great news for him and also for the Eagles. There is no reason not to give this man a second chance in his profession. He also can do alot of good in the communities. Philadelphia could use his help with the dog fighting and he plans to do just that. I say right on !!!

Last edited by cinderella2004; 08-14-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Rise Above It

You know...I have pondered for a while about my feelings on Vick, what he did, how he tried to put it off (his crime) on others to protect himself and I keep coming back to the same thing...everyone is remorseful when they get caught. I just don't have the crystal ball to know whether he would still be involved in dog fighting if he hadn't got caught. Second chance? Sure, everyone deserves a second chance. I just think his opportunities will be far more than mine were and I'm not sure that is right. But, who am I to judge??
only1love (08-19-2009)
Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphsmom View Post
Second chance? Sure, everyone deserves a second chance. I just think his opportunities will be far more than mine were and I'm not sure that is right. But, who am I to judge??
Can you throw a football? LOL
Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Rise Above It

Point made...
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
So now all those released inmates should begin their job interviews with "You know, the NFL gave Michael Vick a second chance - and I'm hoping you'll give me one." Just don't apply at the dog pound!
Good one!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Thumbs up Important second chance story

I attended a re-entry workshop last week at Goodwill Industries. I don't have a record, but I wanted to know what he does and what part I can play in helping others

The man that gives the work shops was convicted of murder and sentenced to life . He served only sixteen years. He is now an ordained minister and is a chaplian at the same prison he served time. He gives work shops at prisons and for organizations.

His life story is an example of how people can turn their lives around with hard work. He turned his life around in prison after years of self hate and denial. His life story is very impressive. His name is Hazan Zarif. He told every one to do a googe search on him. He also has a web-site (HKZarif.com. ) He isn't Muslim, but changed his name in the 60's when young people were questioning where they got their names.

He can vote, serve on juries , has a notary license , along with other impressive titles.

Ex convicts listen to him, because he has walked in their shoes, and is willing to reach back and help them. After the workshop I helped those that wanted help on the pc getting a resume

Last edited by NaNa7; 08-15-2009 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: sp/
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I believe he was in the Leavenworth USP, which is now medium custody.

He was at the camp, I know my husband is at the camp as well, and I saw him before my very own eyes!! He was in no cell
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Donation Award 

Just heard on TV that Michael Vick allegedly was caught in an airport bar, drinking alcohol!! Can he say "Third chances??" Agggghhhhh!!! Must have left his brain in his football helmet!!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM

Default Excessive alcohol

Quote:
Just heard on TV that Michael Vick allegedly was caught in an airport bar, drinking alcohol!! Can he say "Third chances??" Agggghhhhh!!! Must have left his brain in his football helmet!!
His court order said no "excessive alcohol." Coach Reid said he didn't break any rules. . The bartender has most likely gotten a lot of visits from the media and all other interested parties. Only he and Vick know how many shots of vodka was in the pineapple juice. The bartenter might get his 15 min. of fame on ESPN

Stay tune We will know if he did, because the Feds will pay him a visit at camp.

I agree with coach Dungy. That was not very smart of Vick. He should realize he is going to be watched for the rest of his life.
His brother just got 20 days in jail.

Poor mom

Last edited by NaNa7; 08-24-2009 at 11:37 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Donation Award 

According to the report I heard, the court order says no excessive alcohol but they said his "special conditions" of supervised release relate to his RDAP treatment, which may include no drugs or alcohol. Yes, we'll stay tuned...for reports after the P.O. visit.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,436 Times in 800 Posts

i'm originally from philly so i can relate to the average philly fan's mentality regarding michael vick. they just want a super bowl so bad they can taste it, especially because the phillie's just won the world series. but sports are not the topic here so i ask my fellow readers....

1) as per 2nd chances...is michael vick remorseful for what he did or that he got caught and lost the most lucrative (at the time) contract for a quarterback in the nfl? or perhaps his remorse is rooted in the fact that he disgraced his name and reputation but is that what's important? should his remorse be rooted in what he did to those dogs for him to be worthy of forgiveness and/or a 2nd chance?

2) do you think I can get tony dungy to come sit next to me at my sentencing? he may be well intentioned but it's still somewhat self-serving that michael vick, andy reid, and tony dungy are on the podium announcing michael's new 1.6 million dollar opportunity with a 6 million option and tony dungy's presence there is for what purpose? to legitimize it?

ask all the people who have posted in the employment forum how hard it is for a felon to get a job that at the very least pays the minimum needed to survive. if i was post-incarceration and going for a job on wall street would i get the job if a superbowl winning coach who tragically lost his son was there vouching for my rehabilitation? and if he wasn't would i just get thrown out the door like countless others have experienced? just my take on the michael vick thing because although i'm not the example and am dealing with the consequences of my own actions i can tell you that i was always proud of the example donovan mcnabb set as the face of the philadelphia eagles. but i'm happy vick has another chance and hope he does the city proud. but isn't it ironic that his redemption (or lack thereof) will come in the form of wins and losses?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Tony Dungy

I have no way of reading Vick's mind, he said he is sorry. I have to take him at his word. My son and others behide bars say they are sorry. There are going to be those that want believe them either.

Dungy started a prison ministry after he retired from the NFL. He turned down lucrative positions, in order to help prisoners. It wasn't surprizing that he reached out to Vick, a fellow football player.

I don't know people like Dungy, but it hasn't stopped me from contacting people that can help my son when he is free. He is doing what he has to do while incarcerated in order for this to work. Its important that he does his part or it want work in his favor. I don't know Dungy but I know the LORD, he has more power than man.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...gy-cover_N.htm

Prison ministry now Dungy's priority
PHOTOS: Tony Dungy steps behind bars

EXCERPT

The audience at the optional meeting made up about one-third of the inmates at Hardee, a prison southeast of Tampa where the population ranges in age from 19 to 77. The average sentence here is 29 years; the population includes inmates convicted of first-degree murder, kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon and child abuse. Nearly 600 of the inmates are serving life terms.
"He could have absolutely been doing anything else, but decided to spend time with us," said Traveguz Butler, 34, serving a 30-year sentence that extends to December 2028 for carjacking, robbery and false imprisonment. "It's uplifting. I'm glad that he was able to lower himself down to our level."
At a place where there are seven formal head counts each day — and as nearly two dozen armed guards kept close watch — Dungy did not merely lecture from an arm's length. After a 20-minute speech, he was swarmed by prisoners and spent a half-hour in face-to-face conversations.
The Following User Says Thank You to NaNa7 For This Useful Post:
aba (08-25-2009)
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,436 Times in 800 Posts

I do believe that Tony Dungy's intentions are good and genuine. And I appreciate everyone who contributed their opinion to this thread. Almost everyone here on PTO participates in the spirit of hoping for a fruitful second chance in life.

And NaNa I wish you and your family, especially your son, all the best as we all move forward in life. God bless.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,227 Times in 608 Posts

just like we want our loved ones to get second chances and great paying jobs.... Vick is someones family too.... lets not forget that,,, as we have compassion for our sisters and brothers who have loved ones who are incarcerated we should also have love for vick,,, he did what he did, he got caught, he paid the price, and thats the end of it... do you want the world to keep bringing up the faults of your loved one? I think not......
We have all done something that if we got caught we could have done time... and we have all done something that we are not proud of,. and even though you think its your little secret,,, God knows... Lets not judge Vick,,,, as we would not want anyone judging our men and women behind bars.... just my two cents.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aba_in_elpaso View Post
I do believe that Tony Dungy's intentions are good and genuine. And I appreciate everyone who contributed their opinion to this thread. Almost everyone here on PTO participates in the spirit of hoping for a fruitful second chance in life.

And NaNa I wish you and your family, especially your son, all the best as we all move forward in life. God bless.
Thanks a million. It means so much when you get positive feed back. Lord knows, we need it.

I do all I can to help those I come into contact with , that are trying to re-enter society. I believe when you help others, you will be rewarded. It has a boomerang affect.

God bless you and all those who believe people deserve a 2nd chance. We are forgiven every day for our missteps.