Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

North Carolina Prison Visitation All information & questions related to visitation in all North Carolina facilities should be posted here.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Post Visiting for the first time at NCCIW, Raleigh, NC

I'm recently new to PTO.. I have a very sweet daughter who chose some very hard paths to take during this time in her life... this the first time she has been in any trouble...she has 3 beautiful children and a huge family support group who wants to help her stay on a straight and narrow path... we haven't seen her since july 13,09 we are excited for friday to get here.. I have so many question I need answered over time...
oh! she is still in recession but has been moved "down the hill"...Can any one give some advise for the first visit that will help us all? The family writes her, send pictures and cards... She is having a hard time being away fron the children and family.. She calls but the call cost alot more than they did when she was in the county jail..Phone service thur GTL.. She has a sentence of 25-30 months. Please, keep us all in your prayer!! Sorry for being long winded! Thank-you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's-Mom! For This Useful Post:
faithmom (08-13-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Hubby is home!! (: <3

Just try to be as positive as you can. Encourage her to get into any kind of program she can get into to keep her mind occupied. That's really all the advice I can offer. Hope things go well for you and your family during this process.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Thumbs up Thank-you

Thank-you for your advise.. You are so right about education! She is so excited to sign up for cosmetology class and other's..It has given her another chance for a better future!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,420 Times in 703 Posts

She is VERY lucky to have such a strong and supportive MOM!!! How old are the children??
Sunshine's-Mom! (08-16-2009)
Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Smile Thank-you

Thanks Lisa for your kind words! She has 1 Son age 8, 2 daughters age 5 and 12. I'm trying to document their life while she is gone. We recently told the 2 youngest children were she is at. After, her arrest she had major back surgery to elimnate one of her problems before entering NCCIW. I see you have now 1 day before a long awaited deep breath, congradulations on your 1st day of a new beginning!! Wishing you both "THE BEST OF LUCK".....
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Default You'll keep her strong!

I myself am new to the site here. I joined because after doing six months in NCCIW I wanted to find some way to help people whose loved ones were incarcerated there. Like your daughter, I was very sweet and had an amazing family who always stood by me, I just made some wrong decisions and chose to run with the wrong group of people. When you are admitted to NCCIW you spend time in reception while they do all your testing for IQ, placement and such, it isn't the nicest place but every morning after breakfast it's chore time and everyone pulls together to keep it clean. When I was there the women I was dormed with and myself didn't like doing chores but since we were living there, well we would rather have it clean than dirty. Since she has moved down the hill, which is what everyone at NCCIW wants because while on reception you cannot walk outside of the small area you are housed in. When you move down the hill you can walk the grounds and even that small piece of freedom seems like so much. You can go to the canteen when you want, you can visit the library and check out books. The garden is at the top of the hill near the dining room and is actually really nice, lots of trees, benches and tables. Just being able to walk around helps a lot. As far as your first visit, follow all the rules on the website, if you dont you'll be turned away or the visit will be cut short. Keep the mail coming, everything helps, letters, notes, cards, pictures. When your on the inside, mail call is the best part of the day. Right before they would close the grounds women would line up at the desk to ask if they had mail to see if they could get it early. You are all in my prayers and if you have any questions about the facility or anything else please dont hesitate to ask, I'm here for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Assaul For This Useful Post:
Sunshine's-Mom! (08-20-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Hi,

Next month will be a year since my release from serving 25 months on my 25-39 month sentence. I spent about half of that at NCCIW before being transferred to honor grade.

As far as tips for you, during the visitation, make sure you get all of your hugs in at the start of the visit, before she sits down, and then again at the end. She can't get up after she sits down in the beginning, or that will terminate the visit.

That is great that she is taking the initiative for cosmetology class! If she doesn't make it in the next enrollment phase, I would recommend trying to get a job at the tag plant or duplicating plant. They are the highest paying jobs ($12-$13 a week) for someone with her sentence. They are ALSO one of the few places that are air conditioned. If she is interested, she can also sign up with Shaw University to work on an associates or bachelors degree, she could do this in addition to cosmetology or a job, because Shaw holds their classes at night in the academic school. She MUST be enrolled in some sort of class (like cosmetology) or working in order to make it out on her minimum of 25 months. If she works and she stays out of trouble, she should have the opportunity to get to an honor grade within a reasonable amount of time, which is about 500% better than NCCIW. If she makes it to an honor grade, she would be eligible for community jobs, passes out into the public to the mall, or movies, etc, with a sponsor, and then later for home passes, to begin reincorporating her into her childrens lives.

I hope that you have a wonderful visit with her on Friday. If there is anything else I can help with, feel free to pm me. It sounds like we have/had similar sentences.

By the way, I always asked for my visits on Friday as well, it was much less crowded than on the weekends, which meant less waiting! Oh, and if she does make it to an honor grade, she can take photos with the children during the visits for them to take home and herself to keep. And they have girl scouts for mothers with daughters ages 5 and up at honor grade, where they get to meet every month.

She is lucky to have such a wonderful support system! Take care!
The Following User Says Thank You to kather0440 For This Useful Post:
Sunshine's-Mom! (08-20-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Default Thank-you Tatical Assaul

Thank-you so much for details on the ground of NCCIW, this morning has been a bad one I miss her so! It gives me some relief to know there is an area that is peaceful, not only for her but all the girl! Reading your post sounds like you have taken alot from this experience! I'm glad you have join PTO to give other's some insight. I wish you a happy future! What is you goal for the future?

Last edited by Sunshine's-Mom!; 08-20-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Default Thank-you Kather 0440

Reading your post has given me so much information that will be so helpful for both her and the children! Yes, both of you do have a similiar story. I pray for an outcome for her as you had (honor grade) which I will have to find out more about that. She wants to stay busy during her time at NCCIW. The information you've given on education there is most helpful. Thank-you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. You are a very sweet person, I wish you the very best of luck!! What are your goals for the future?

Last edited by Sunshine's-Mom!; 08-20-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Thank you for the warm welcome

I know you have to be looking forward to Friday this morning and I'm excited for you, you'll have to let us know how the visit went after you get back! I used my time at NCCIW to better myself and get my head together, realize the path that I was on was leading nowhere and decided where I did want the path to lead. After being released last September I spent a year working with my father at his business which is a commercial garage, two months ago he made me his partner. I have the greatest job in the world, I get to work with my father every day. I know it seems like a long time that she will be away for but this is also time that she can use to better herself, at least that's the way I looked at it. I know this sounds strange but try keeping busy with lots of projects, thats how my mother and father passed the time. When I came home every room in the house had been painted a different color and redecorated, they put all thier time that they had into keeping themselves busy and looking forward to my phone calls and letters, I can only imagine how hard it was for them and how hard it must be for you. My heart goes out to you . If you need anything dont hesitate to ask.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Greetings Kath,

Been a while since we've seen you post.
What's new in Raleigh?
Hot I'm sure:O)
Its even hot (more humid) here in Jersy

They got new uniforms there I understand,
skirts too!

Have you written to any of your friends since you left?
Jan put in for a xfer to Troy.

I'm still keeping the mail room busy!

-Rob
Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Tactical Assaul;

Hello Ms Assaul!
Can I call you Tacky for short:O)
I've never been to NCCIW,but sure would like to,Not being all that rich,and a 14 hour drive makes it pretty hard.Got letters going every week though.Sometimes a 3 stamper letter

So glad to hear your got it all together,and have turned things around.I see your hometown is Salvo,so your pretty lucky living out there.I visit Frisco at least once every summer and went thru Salvo about a month ago.Those little towns aren't so little anymore.Tons and tons of group rentals.

Pleased to "meet" you,and enjoy the waves!

Sincerely,

Rob
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 AM

Smile On the right track!!

Hi, you have came along way in a short time, I know your family is very proud of their "little girl"!! Yes, I truly believe family support helps in so many ways. I feel so deeply for the ones who have none. I pray for the lord to be with them all during this diffcult time in their life.!! Yes, you are on the "Right Track" I'm sure your family will help you stay on it!

Oh, by the way I saw my daughter last friday!! She looked good but was very nervous now I know why! She talked and laughed with us but she kept looking at the co's. It was like she didn't what to make a wrong move. We, the family didn't know she could not get up after she sat down. Luckly, we must have not did anything wrong during the visit b/c the co never came over. In county jail she never new if it was day or night or knew the time of day. They were not allowed outside and stayed inside 24/7 it was taking a toll on her. Her skin was clearer and she looked more like my little girl. Also, with it being a 2 hour visit it was hard for her to sit for that long. She had back surgery in April.

I hope she will meet girls like you and kather0440 every one needs a friend. She to is a type person that will help anyone in need if she can. I guess sometimes that can be bad in a new place that you haven't learned all the rules!

Thank-you again for being a sweet person and having compassion for others!!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 PM

I'm glad I found this page, I have a loved one at ncciw. This is all new to me, and I will be going for my first visit soon. This has been so hard for me, I see I'm not alone. Please write, and let me no if your loved one is still inside ncciw. Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Info PLz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Assaul View Post
I myself am new to the site here. I joined because after doing six months in NCCIW I wanted to find some way to help people whose loved ones were incarcerated there. Like your daughter, I was very sweet and had an amazing family who always stood by me, I just made some wrong decisions and chose to run with the wrong group of people. When you are admitted to NCCIW you spend time in reception while they do all your testing for IQ, placement and such, it isn't the nicest place but every morning after breakfast it's chore time and everyone pulls together to keep it clean. When I was there the women I was dormed with and myself didn't like doing chores but since we were living there, well we would rather have it clean than dirty. Since she has moved down the hill, which is what everyone at NCCIW wants because while on reception you cannot walk outside of the small area you are housed in. When you move down the hill you can walk the grounds and even that small piece of freedom seems like so much. You can go to the canteen when you want, you can visit the library and check out books. The garden is at the top of the hill near the dining room and is actually really nice, lots of trees, benches and tables. Just being able to walk around helps a lot. As far as your first visit, follow all the rules on the website, if you dont you'll be turned away or the visit will be cut short. Keep the mail coming, everything helps, letters, notes, cards, pictures. When your on the inside, mail call is the best part of the day. Right before they would close the grounds women would line up at the desk to ask if they had mail to see if they could get it early. You are all in my prayers and if you have any questions about the facility or anything else please dont hesitate to ask, I'm here for you.
Hi I am new to all this. I am a friend of a pregnant inmate. I am awaiting approval for visitation so I can visit her. Can you plz tell me what the website is to find out what I can and can't do. She's wanting someo books and I don't know what else I can send I'd like to know these things. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Why? When? Who? Where?

Default Welcome!

1st - Welcome to PTO

2nd - The best place to start learning about 'the inside' is the Family & Friends Handbook; http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...10Handbook.pdf
Yes, it's a 2010 edition but still has very useful information. The DPS is working on an updated version.

3rd - The next place to go is the facility website; for NCCIW - http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/prisons/ncciw.htm

4th - Check out the visitation website for DPS: http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/visitation/index.htm
You need to get an application to visit from the Inmate, return the application (fully completed, signed, and with a photocopy of your chosen ID (State Drivers License, State (DMV) ID Card, Passport, or Active Duty US Military ID Card). Do NOT return the application to the Inmate but to the Facility where the Inmate is (put ATTN: Visitation). You will need to be Approved before being allowed to visit.

4th - You can check the status of the Inmate (Location, Infractions, Projected Release Date, Photo) http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...do?method=view

5th - Good Luck to the both of you; any questions, comments, fears, experiences, or excitement everyone (I'm sure I speak for all in PTO) would be happy to share with you. Welcome again to PTO
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Letter from Inmate

I am an inmate at NCCIW, and behind these razor-wire fences egregious medical neglect has been a concern for decades. The health care inside this prison is grossly inadequate, unconstitutional, and has been ignored for far too long. The quality of the health care here has been questioned since as early as the 1990′s, and it continues to get worse.

Most of us women who are behind these fences will return to the outside communities, and the lack of health care while we are incarcerated therefore has a huge impact on society as well, whether it be financially or otherwise.

Women here at this facility have died because medical neglect. For some women, coming to NCCIW is truly a death sentence. Irene Baity had been here for years, with only five left before her release. She was over-medicated on a mental health drug that resulted in her hanging herself. Rosa Moody, from Avery County, came in here on a Friday sick with pneumonia; she was dead three days later. Teresa Jones had Crohn’s disease; inmate Kathy Thompson found her bleeding uncontrollably. The Corrections Officer left her, did not even try to help her. I stood watching helpless, unable to do anything. The second shift CO came in two hours later and got her to the infirmary, where she died.

These are just a few that lost their lives due to medical neglect. I came in here 2010 healthy with two working legs and feet; I now am permanently disabled in my right leg and foot. I walk on crutches now because of medical neglect. I now have a lymphoma tumor on the left side of my neck, and was told by Dr. Lyle Park that I only had six months left to seek a doctor when I got out. We are mothers, grandmothers, sisters, and children, and we deserve health care equal to that of the outside communities. The need for medical treatment has been ignored for too long, far too many women have died here and their plea for help has been ignored. We deserve justice! The state needs to be held accountable for this.

A prisoner at NCCIW

2/7/12
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy6njesus View Post
Hi I am new to all this. I am a friend of a pregnant inmate. I am awaiting approval for visitation so I can visit her. Can you plz tell me what the website is to find out what I can and can't do. She's wanting someo books and I don't know what else I can send I'd like to know these things. I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks!!
go to any book store and have them send the books you cant send them, or you can go online and do it they will send the books for you. let me know if I can be of more help to you.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
I am an inmate at NCCIW, and behind these razor-wire fences egregious medical neglect has been a concern for decades. The health care inside this prison is grossly inadequate, unconstitutional, and has been ignored for far too long. The quality of the health care here has been questioned since as early as the 1990′s, and it continues to get worse.

Most of us women who are behind these fences will return to the outside communities, and the lack of health care while we are incarcerated therefore has a huge impact on society as well, whether it be financially or otherwise.

Women here at this facility have died because medical neglect. For some women, coming to NCCIW is truly a death sentence. Irene Baity had been here for years, with only five left before her release. She was over-medicated on a mental health drug that resulted in her hanging herself. Rosa Moody, from Avery County, came in here on a Friday sick with pneumonia; she was dead three days later. Teresa Jones had Crohn’s disease; inmate Kathy Thompson found her bleeding uncontrollably. The Corrections Officer left her, did not even try to help her. I stood watching helpless, unable to do anything. The second shift CO came in two hours later and got her to the infirmary, where she died.

These are just a few that lost their lives due to medical neglect. I came in here 2010 healthy with two working legs and feet; I now am permanently disabled in my right leg and foot. I walk on crutches now because of medical neglect. I now have a lymphoma tumor on the left side of my neck, and was told by Dr. Lyle Park that I only had six months left to seek a doctor when I got out. We are mothers, grandmothers, sisters, and children, and we deserve health care equal to that of the outside communities. The need for medical treatment has been ignored for too long, far too many women have died here and their plea for help has been ignored. We deserve justice! The state needs to be held accountable for this.

A prisoner at NCCIW

2/7/12
I was there when Theresa Jones died...she was bleeding from her rectum so bad...Ms Brown totally ignored the severity of her illness...the Captain came the next morning and told all of us in the Phoenix unit she had died
Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandiggie View Post
I was there when Theresa Jones died...she was bleeding from her rectum so bad...Ms Brown totally ignored the severity of her illness...the Captain came the next morning and told all of us in the Phoenix unit she had died
Shan,

The Post/Letter needs to be on the front page of the News and Observer,not the back pages of PT:O(
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM

You are so right...Ms Brown kept complaining of her smell...augh so so so sad