Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Morgantown FCI
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Morgantown FCI Topics and discussion specific to FCI Morgantown in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Default Menu - what is a typical day's menu?

I know its probably not that great but are there any positive stories?

"Can anyone give me a sample menu from a typical day in the fed camp? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? ie; breakfast = cereal? lunch = hotdogs? etc;"
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatEva View Post
I know its probably not that great but are there any positive stories?

"Can anyone give me a sample menu from a typical day in the fed camp? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? ie; breakfast = cereal? lunch = hotdogs? etc;"
only thing my hubby has told me is that they have rice and beans with their diner every night. he's been there 2 weeks today.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 AM

my husband was there and he still talks about how horrible the food was two years later. he was transferred to bennetsville and the food was alot better. he to said they had rice and beans with everything. the fish even had not for human consumption on the boxes when he worked in the kitchen.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:28 AM

not for human consumption! that is terrible!........god i wish there was something we could do about the food etc!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Everytime I go to see my husband we eat a meal (if you can call it that) together from the vending machines. It is very sad that everyone that I have met there at Morgantown says that the food from the vending machines is the best food that they have had there! What can we do to change this?
The comment on the "Not for Human Consumption" was also told to me by my husband and others. These men may have done something wrong but they are still people and at least deserve to have real food to eat!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Donation Award 

Hello again Sabb, I see you stay busy on the bulletin boards. Here is the truth about the food at Morgantown. Saturday and Sunday is dry cereal for breakfast. Saturday Brunch is usually eggs and turkey sausage, and on alternating weeks it is pancakes or waffles. Sunday Brunch is Texas hash and eggs, and on alternating weeks it can be omelets. (the omelets look amazingly like scrambled eggs). During the week breakfast alternates between grits, farina, and oatmeal. breakfast pastries such as strawberry poptarts, or kellogs strawberry breakfast bars (special K) are also served. Breakfast during the week always has a fresh fruit. Banana, orange, apple, or grapefruit. Lunch and dinner during the month cycles every two weeks. Wednesday is always hamburgers and fries for lunch, and these are not bad. The rest of the menu items are for dinner and lunch, ...fried chicken, baked chicken, BBQ chicken, beef tacos, beef and bean burritos, beef fajitas, chicken fahitas, meat loaf, chicken ala King, roast beef, BBQ pork, Pork Odobo, fried fish, baked fish. Sides of corn, green beans, rice, carrots or mixed vegetables are alternated in according to the menu. Rice and beans used to be served on the hot bar for every meal, but that has been discontinued as of November. Coffee is served for breakfast on weekends only. Tea, punch, lemonade are served during the other meals during the week.

The food is not bad....it is just that you have no choice. Having a locker full of commissary helps a lot because you can choose what you want if you don't like the menu item, or if you simply don't want to walk down to the chow hall....and from most of the units it is a pretty good walk.

The "not for human consumption label" story is a nice story....but that is all it is. That story has been going around there at Morgantown for years. It is not that the guys who are passing this story on to family members are lying, or being deceitful, they truly believe the story because someone from the kitchen told them....and the fish looks like it could live up to that kind of reputation.

The truth is that the food is not bad.....but after living through the cycle a few months you get bored with it. Then when you go up for a visit and can have wings... or a bacon cheese burger....from a vending machine....you think you are in heaven. You don't get cheese on your burger on Wednesdays....so when you get a cheese burger from a vending machine it is pretty special.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head regarding food....if you have any questions fire them this way and I will give you the straight skinny on the food to the best of my ability.

The Baker Man
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBakerMan For This Useful Post:
sabb266 (11-17-2009)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,437 Times in 800 Posts

Hello Baker Man,

I have an interesting question for you. Obviously I assume you're a baker. I myself am a trained chef who went to culinary school. If I end up in a federal prison and am looking to try and utilize my time as productively as possible....is it possible that if I devoted myself to it I could make prison food better. As a chef I know the quality of the ingredients is the main factor, but as far as preparation, seasoning, and attempting to give the food an appetizing appearance.....if I dedicated myself to that goal, do you think it would be possible to achieve? Thanks for any advice and/or opinion you can offer.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aba_in_elpaso View Post
Hello Baker Man,

I have an interesting question for you. Obviously I assume you're a baker. I myself am a trained chef who went to culinary school. If I end up in a federal prison and am looking to try and utilize my time as productively as possible....is it possible that if I devoted myself to it I could make prison food better. As a chef I know the quality of the ingredients is the main factor, but as far as preparation, seasoning, and attempting to give the food an appetizing appearance.....if I dedicated myself to that goal, do you think it would be possible to achieve? Thanks for any advice and/or opinion you can offer.

Hello Aba,

It is an interesting question, and a good one. I was a baker at an FCI. When I arrived they allowed me to replace their departing inmate baker since I owned a restaurant on the outside, and there for knew how to bake. Their idea of letting me bake was to warm up frozen biscuits and hand out prepackaged breakfast pastries. This went on for a couple of months until one day the breakfast biscuits were crushed in the warehouse, so they didn't have any to warm up. The kitchen CO asked me if I could really bake, I told him that I could, so he broke open the baking powder and flour and let me make butter milk biscuits. (had to create the butter milk since they don't bring that in).

From that one warehouse accident we went on to bake everything at that FCI. Donuts, breads, cookies, pizzas, all from scratch. The secret to being allowed to do that, was to ensure that the product that was needed actually made it in to the baked goods. There is a problem of theft you know....and often was the time when the chocolate chips didn't look like they were going to make it to the cookies....but I managed to prevail.

Cooks are in a more difficult position, there are usually 4 or 5 cooks, whereas there is usually only one baker and maybe an assistant. As a cook if you want to make a really nice chicken entree you are going to have to fight the other four cooks for the chicken. If you don't, then they will take it and sell it in the units, or to the orderlies for distribution. They will leave you the gristle to work with. It is not easy to make anything tasty with bones and connective tissue.

The chances of a really good cook improving on the food in an FCI of any level is pretty slim. You would have to have a really good group chosen to work with you. They would have to be willing to stand up to the demands of others asking for some of the product to be skimmed off the cooking line, and then on top of that you would have to have a good CO who trusted and believed in you. The last part is the easiest.....the other cooks are going to be a problem.

So to answer your question.....you might be given a shot....but to be successful you are going to have to put your own cooking team together, and those already in the jobs are going to fight you tooth and nail.

The Baker Man
Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,437 Times in 800 Posts

Thanks for responding. I'm glad you were successful. If I end up in that environment, I will not be fighting anyone, for any reason, literally or figuratively. So I guess if I have the opportunity to do something, I'll try and go for it, if not, well obviously it would be beyond my control. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.