Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Prison Phones
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Phones Discuss problems, solutions and other issues relating to institutional phone systems here

Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 AM

Thanked 1,383 Times in 609 Posts
Default Google Voice

I've been using Google voice for my calls now, it gives you a local number that rings to your phone, you can also set it to ring both your cell and your house phone if you want. The calls are "ported" over so according to Google it is not forwarding calls. That being said, you have to get an invite, but you just apply, best part is at least for now it's free. Except for a little bit of echo (at least I have it) the quality is great.

joe
The Following User Says Thank You to joetnymedic For This Useful Post:
keizhan1 (06-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 AM

They have to say their name, and then it transfers, but what if they're making a collect call? Does it work then? I'm dealing with GTL and have Google Voice. Does the recording just start going and then you get to hear the end of it and push 0 to accept?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanked 1,383 Times in 609 Posts

You can't get collect calls on it but prepaid works great
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Pro reform
Donation Award 

Which number needs to be registered with GTL on the prepaid account? Your real number? The Google Voice number? Both? Either one?
Let's get this straight... eliminate rehab program funding and move more inmates into society so that more inmates can be a greater threat? Where's the "Corrections and Rehabilitation" in "California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation"?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 PM

What number needs to be approved for this to work??
Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM

i just started using google voice and im not too sure how well it works, my inmate is so used to the phone being blocked from when i tried magic jack that she keeps on hanging up before i get a chance to find out how much the darned call is ha ha. but my phone calls without it are 25 bucks for 30 minutes through ics. yes you hear right thats counting taxes at the rip off rate of 5 bucks on 20 so 25% tax can you believe that? theyd put me in jail if i ripped someone off like that, but since its the government doing it its okay. anyway she calls tomorrow so ill let you all know how it goes over. and you have to put money towards the google number with whatever pre paid service youre using cuz otherwise you get the same expensive phone call you were getting before that. the avvantage of getting the local number is so you pay local rates yes? also you have to go into settings and turn call screening off, otherwise you have to press 1 to even hear the call when it goes through cuz it asks you if you want to accept press 1. which will be heard by the prisons automated system and could mess you up. oh and to top it off if you have a gmail account you just go to the google voice site and sign up. which is cool cuz ive heard of people waiting awhile to get the invite. i am a long time gmail user cuz its the best email service anyway and all i did was sign up took me like 5 minutes to get a new number and most of that was picking the number ha ha.

Last edited by atesorrow; 07-31-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
God gave me you

i have google voice it works great- but i dont know how you put money on it through gtl. i called and put advance pay money on my number- and it does not work- the calls only come through using gtl prepaid on his end- meaning that he pays for the calls but there is no way for me to set it up that i can pay for them. our calls are .90 cents a call

[/url]

Want to make God Laugh? Tell him your plans.

Always
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanked 1,558 Times in 800 Posts

He finally just got my Google Voice number added...the calls get forwarded to my cell phone....he's in the county and we get ten free minutes a day (YES I KNOW HOW LUCKY I AM!!!) but if we need to talk more, we can only due pre-paid calls (thru GTL).

I'm gonna try in a few days to set GTL up on the Google Voice number....from what I'm hearing, pre-paid will probably work on the line....I hope so. If not, I'm gonna have to keep the other phone I have to talk to him....so inconvenient to have to carry two phones, I hate it!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Exclamation how to use google voice

first let me tell you my calls have went from 25 bucks for 30 minutes to a mere 1.25 yes you heard right 1.25 my girl can call me whenever she wants. the price of the phone calls was literally killing me financially now they are nothing heres how i did it
1: have a gmail account, everyone talks about having to be invited, i have gmail which is by far the best email anyway, as soon as i signed up for google voice i got a number
2: pick a number that is local to the prison do some research of prefixes and area codes to get as close as possible
3: put your pre paid money on the google voice number, i go through ics and they dont bat an eye at the area code being different than the zip code of your billing address so there was no problem there.
4: go into your settings on the webpage you have for your google voice number, turn off the call screening option you cant miss it it its in the first dialog box, if you dont do that youll have to push 1 to accept the call and that will mess up the prisons auto machine.

thats all there is to it, from there enjoy dirt cheap phone calls that can be forwarded to any number you want it to be forwarded to. my connection sometimes broke up a little but small price to pay for the reduction in phone cost to say the least. instead of paying 100 of my hard earned dollars to talk one time a week to my girl. i now put 15 bucks on my account and talk to her whenever she wants to call. hope this helps everybody and let others who get victimized by prison phone companies know

GOOGLE VOICE IS THE SHIT ! ! ! ! ! ! !
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to atesorrow For This Useful Post:
dirtyjerzy (08-12-2010), HiS BiiBii 2123 (06-13-2011), Jadey70 (09-14-2013), Jen Turner (11-29-2010), jerryyvonne (09-03-2013), Just Jen (07-29-2012), missinhim2028 (03-08-2013), missMBC (08-10-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro reform
Donation Award 

GTL seems a bit more touchy on this than ICS; I'd interested in hearing from someone who has set up GTL with google voice .
Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprisonnews View Post
GTL seems a bit more touchy on this than ICS; I'd interested in hearing from someone who has set up GTL with google voice .
theres several people further up saying the exact same thing but theyre using gtl. honestly it boils down to this,
A: give it a try with a 5 spot and see how it works which is how i started out

or

B: pay the extremely exorbitant prices these monopolies charge for long distance phone calls.

this forum already has all the information you need to get google voice with several people saying it worked great for them through both ics and gtl, so what exactly is the fear? i put 5 dollars up first and it worked if it hadnt idve lost a 5 spot no big deal i pay that in taxes through ics for one call

sit on the fence and be a victim, or make your move and reap the rewards i choose not be a victim myself, good luck man
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
BANNED

Thanked 1,239 Times in 581 Posts

I just worry about it being talked about so much here because too much talk can mess up a good thing. You never know the vulture phone co's may have a spy here collecting all this and making a plan to stop it.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM

How much does it charge you? If I was normally getting collect calls will it charge anything to my phone bill when he calls the number?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Which number needs to be registered with GTL on the prepaid account? Your real number? The Google Voice number? Both? Either one?
Your Google number
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atesorrow View Post
i just started using google voice and im not too sure how well it works, my inmate is so used to the phone being blocked from when i tried magic jack that she keeps on hanging up before i get a chance to find out how much the darned call is ha ha. but my phone calls without it are 25 bucks for 30 minutes through ics. yes you hear right thats counting taxes at the rip off rate of 5 bucks on 20 so 25% tax can you believe that? theyd put me in jail if i ripped someone off like that, but since its the government doing it its okay. anyway she calls tomorrow so ill let you all know how it goes over. and you have to put money towards the google number with whatever pre paid service youre using cuz otherwise you get the same expensive phone call you were getting before that. the avvantage of getting the local number is so you pay local rates yes? also you have to go into settings and turn call screening off, otherwise you have to press 1 to even hear the call when it goes through cuz it asks you if you want to accept press 1. which will be heard by the prisons automated system and could mess you up. oh and to top it off if you have a gmail account you just go to the google voice site and sign up. which is cool cuz ive heard of people waiting awhile to get the invite. i am a long time gmail user cuz its the best email service anyway and all i did was sign up took me like 5 minutes to get a new number and most of that was picking the number ha ha.
I did not have to get an invite I signed up and got my number at the same time.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
forever & one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney13 View Post
i have google voice it works great- but i dont know how you put money on it through gtl. i called and put advance pay money on my number- and it does not work- the calls only come through using gtl prepaid on his end- meaning that he pays for the calls but there is no way for me to set it up that i can pay for them. our calls are .90 cents a call
I put money on my phone via western union. I have to pay a fee of 10.45 but it's worth it. A friend of mine uses a pre-paid credit card to pay for her calls.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM

@ATESORROW: i already know gmail is the best around....for one im with you on that:-D and thank you sooo much because i was completely unaware of this voice thingy...my phone service is through time warner and i've been trying to set up collect calling since i got the service august 7th....they keep giving me the run around...hopefully now i might get this resolved....this is great...do you know if they work with globaltellink...im assumin thats what gtl is....

xoox
missMBC

I learned love is like a brick; you can build a house or sink a dead body.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Patiently waiting

Does this work for vconnect? My inmate is calling from a federal prison

JULY 2014 IS OUR FBOP END
Old 08-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Ah-mazing! Went from paying $10 a call with a 10 call a month limit, to unlimited number of calls for just under $4 a call.

LOVE! Thanks everyone for passing this information along.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Best is yet to come! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atesorrow View Post
first let me tell you my calls have went from 25 bucks for 30 minutes to a mere 1.25 yes you heard right 1.25 my girl can call me whenever she wants. the price of the phone calls was literally killing me financially now they are nothing heres how i did it
1: have a gmail account, everyone talks about having to be invited, i have gmail which is by far the best email anyway, as soon as i signed up for google voice i got a number
2: pick a number that is local to the prison do some research of prefixes and area codes to get as close as possible
3: put your pre paid money on the google voice number, i go through ics and they dont bat an eye at the area code being different than the zip code of your billing address so there was no problem there.
4: go into your settings on the webpage you have for your google voice number, turn off the call screening option you cant miss it it its in the first dialog box, if you dont do that youll have to push 1 to accept the call and that will mess up the prisons auto machine.

thats all there is to it, from there enjoy dirt cheap phone calls that can be forwarded to any number you want it to be forwarded to. my connection sometimes broke up a little but small price to pay for the reduction in phone cost to say the least. instead of paying 100 of my hard earned dollars to talk one time a week to my girl. i now put 15 bucks on my account and talk to her whenever she wants to call. hope this helps everybody and let others who get victimized by prison phone companies know

GOOGLE VOICE IS THE SHIT ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This sounds really amazing but i need help. I already have gmail i just dont understand the prepaid stuff how or who do i pay?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
GTL will only let you use Google Voice with Jail account ( Advance Pay) in California.
With prison accounts you cant use it.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbutterfly View Post
Ah-mazing! Went from paying $10 a call with a 10 call a month limit, to unlimited number of calls for just under $4 a call.

LOVE! Thanks everyone for passing this information along.

I see your in Cali. This will only work with Advance pay. Once he goes to prison ( if he goes) it wont work.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM

Yeah, we're using a prepay CBS account. He's in county, not going to prison (thank goodness).

As a side note, don't try to add your number to more than one account. I set up a Google Voice account for his Mom and used my number as a placeholder, not realizing it would take it off my original account. Oops!

So, big mixup on my call tonight, he tried a few times before I got an e-mail that I was missing my calls. Luckily, I figured out what was wrong before he called a fourth time.

The end of this chapter of our lives CANNOT come soon enough....
Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Account Closed

There is a guy at NCRJ in my mans pod (WV) that lost phone calls to the number he was calling because she was using call forwarding... GTL .... beware
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM

How about cbs, anyone try this using them? So how do we forward the google voice number to my cell number? How is it cheaper if cbs charges a flat rate per minute?