Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California County Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California County Jails Topics & Discussions relating to County & City Jails in California.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM

Thumbs down Current Release Percentages LA County Jail

I currently served time at Pitchess Detention Center / MCJ for a second offense DUI charge. Without the long story, I HAD money to fight my case and still went to jail. I was sentenced to 110 days and did 39--that equals 42% of time served.

Regardless of all rumors of early release, cutbacks, overcrowding, etc. most inmates with non-violent low level misdemeanors will do between 32 and 50% of their time--no joke. All the "10-20%" rumors are INCORRECT and basically, hopeful jail dreams.

For me, jail was rough because it was my maiden voyage. I work in the film industry and have never been incarcerated prior to this experience.

If your situation is similar to mine--and headed into LA County Jail--here's what you can expect:

You will be moved around from barracks and dorms like warehouse stock: DON"T GET COMFORTABLE--I was moved 5 times.

Expect verbal and physical abuse from Sheriff Deputies-KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN

Expect horrible food, extreme noise, and restless sleep.

If you can, (and are eligible) consider the Work Release Program and get out!

If you qualify, you will transfer into a WORK DORM (wearing YELLOW attire) and will be assigned a job based mostly upon your initial inmate screening when you book into jail. You will work 6-8 hours a day, 5-7 days a week without breaks. Some say working in the Officer Dining Room (ODR) is the best job available because you get to eat Officer food--trust me, it's a terrible job (the food still sucks) and you work 7 days a week, 6 hours straight without breaks, with 3-7 Sheriff Deputies SCREAMING in your face. Personally, I would have preferred the Bike Shop.

If you can avoid it, DO NOT REGISTER FOR MEDICAL ATTENTION. If you have a small cold, or spider bite, try to tough it out. The facility nurses are disrespectful, arrogant, and poorly trained. If you register with a spider bite or similar, incidental condition you will be treated for STAPH infection and possibly quarantined in a STAPH DORM--no joke!

I hope some of this insight is beneficial to you or someone you know.
Remember: ANYONE CAN GO TO JAIL THESE DAYS. Try not to beat yourself up over your mistake. It's going to be tough, but you WILL get through it!

One more thing: Booking into MCJ will take at least 10-12 hours and when you're released it may take as little as 2.5 hours (it did with me) or as long as 8 hours.

Good luck and DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to HMannix For This Useful Post:
bradyp823 (04-28-2013), cherry2013 (06-13-2012), danandmarlin13 (01-19-2011), foreverlost78 (09-30-2012), loveylove (07-01-2014), MissingHim21 (06-20-2011), Mrs E (08-05-2011), prettichococat (02-23-2010), roxy03 (05-13-2011), snook72 (10-09-2009), Sofiemissesdale (03-23-2014), TerryLee (12-20-2010), YulyDGonzalez (01-12-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
(f/k/a ARoman)

Thanked 1,391 Times in 812 Posts

Was your experience at Pitchess better than MCJ?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoman View Post
Was your experience at Pitchess better than MCJ?
Better yes, but not much--the upside is you will get to walk outside for yard and phones, but it's still jail.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Experience at "Pitchess" depends on which jail you're stuck in. It sounds like HMannix was at South--that's the easiest jail at Pitchess. The others are East, North, and North County (also called NCCF or Supermax). Those are more traditional jails and can be a bit more stressful.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
A truly blessed Site Mod

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,218 Times in 2,718 Posts

I think all of the L.A county jails sucks period. Sadly I've had a few family and friends there and just to go there to put money on their books is depressing and it stinks. The employees are rude and they act as if they are doing me a favor in my opinion I'm doing you one because sadly people like my family and friends keep you employed. The information line is a joke you would fair better going online for updated information. The visiting is ridiculous standing in line for hours just to get a 15 minute visit. On the other hand I had a better experience in the riverside county. Very clean, civilized, no long waits and you get a hour per visit plus you can visit after 8:00pm what a diffrence a county makes. I'm sorry that your experience was a ruff one

Fall edition of the PTO Quarterly 2014 is here!!!!!

Last edited by pj663; 07-13-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Yes...well, I did say "easiest," not nicest or best. No jail earns those terms--probably not even Riverside, for someone inside. :-) If I was stuck inside LA, again, I'd rather be at South than any other jail. At least there you have a pretty good chance to be assigned to an "outside crew" working in an orchard, the plant nursery, the bike shop, dog grooming, wood shop, or something else more interesting than sitting in a module waiting for someone to steal your shoes.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Default North county correctional facility at pitchess/percentage time served

My fiance is currently serving 395 days at NCCF and has been there since 5/14/09. He keeps hearing different stories about the amount of time he will actually serve. The LASD website has a projected release date of 1/26/2010. Does anyone really know how long he will serve? Is it possible to only serve 30-50% of the projected release date or the full 395 days. I am trying desperately to get as much information for him as I can. I am new to PTO and I have gotten great information here, but haven't really seen too many posts with the answers i am looking for. Please help the the percentage or any information you might have that will shed some light. He is in there for a misdermeanor domestic violence case.

quote=HMannix;4787757]I currently served time at Pitchess Detention Center / MCJ for a second offense DUI charge. Without the long story, I HAD money to fight my case and still went to jail. I was sentenced to 110 days and did 39--that equals 42% of time served.

Regardless of all rumors of early release, cutbacks, overcrowding, etc. most inmates with non-violent low level misdemeanors will do between 32 and 50% of their time--no joke. All the "10-20%" rumors are INCORRECT and basically, hopeful jail dreams.

For me, jail was rough because it was my maiden voyage. I work in the film industry and have never been incarcerated prior to this experience.

If your situation is similar to mine--and headed into LA County Jail--here's what you can expect:

You will be moved around from barracks and dorms like warehouse stock: DON"T GET COMFORTABLE--I was moved 5 times.

If you qualify, you will transfer into a WORK DORM (wearing YELLOW attire) and will be assigned a job based mostly upon your initial inmate screening when you book into jail. You will work 6-8 hours a day, 5-7 days a week without breaks. Some say working in the Officer Dining Room (ODR) is the best job available because you get to eat Officer food--trust me, it's a terrible job (the food still sucks) and you work 7 days a week, 6 hours straight without breaks, with 3-7 Sheriff Deputies SCREAMING in your face. Personally, I would have preferred the Bike Shop.

If you can avoid it, DO NOT REGISTER FOR MEDICAL ATTENTION. If you have a small cold, or spider bite, try to tough it out. The facility nurses are disrespectful, arrogant, and poorly trained. If you register with a spider bite or similar, incidental condition you will be treated for STAPH infection and possibly quarantined in a STAPH DORM--no joke!

Remember: ANYONE CAN GO TO JAIL THESE DAYS. Try not to beat yourself up over your mistake. It's going to be tough, but you WILL get through it!

One more thing: Booking into MCJ will take at least 10-12 hours and when you're released it may take as little as 2.5 hours (it did with me) or as long as 8 hours.

Good luck and DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE![/quote]
Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 AM

Right now the percentage release is 70% for men.
The Following User Says Thank You to grayworldangel For This Useful Post:
khob (07-15-2009)
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
A truly blessed Site Mod

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,218 Times in 2,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayworldangel View Post
Yes...well, I did say "easiest," not nicest or best. No jail earns those terms--probably not even Riverside, for someone inside. :-) If I was stuck inside LA, again, I'd rather be at South than any other jail. At least there you have a pretty good chance to be assigned to an "outside crew" working in an orchard, the plant nursery, the bike shop, dog grooming, wood shop, or something else more interesting than sitting in a module waiting for someone to steal your shoes.
You're correct in saying that grayworldangel for someone on the inside it's way diffrent then what we can understand or imagine. It's too bad that california is too broke to upgrade or make the conditions better you know?

Fall edition of the PTO Quarterly 2014 is here!!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayworldangel View Post
Right now the percentage release is 70% for men.
Hello,
From what I witnessed while at Pitchess South, inmates charged with either misdemeanor or felony DOMESTIC VIOLENCE cases are doing 70-80% of their time. If your fiance is doing 395 days, expect him to be away at least until December. He'll probably be home just in time for Christmas--anything less is good fortune. The best you can hope for is Thanksgiving.

But, hey--he may get extremely lucky. It's sort of a lottery in there--which makes it even more stressful, but the "early release" rumors are just that--RUMORS.

As a staunch optimist, I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but I haven't seen otherwise and I don't want your hopes up too high.

BUT...it never hurts to "hope for the best and prepare for the best..."

Good luck to both of you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to HMannix For This Useful Post:
khob (07-15-2009)
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMannix View Post
I currently served time at Pitchess Detention Center / MCJ for a second offense DUI charge. Without the long story, I HAD money to fight my case and still went to jail. I was sentenced to 110 days and did 39--that equals 42% of time served.

If you can, (and are eligible) consider the WORK RELEASE PROGRAM and get out!

Also while there, you may transfer into a WORK DORM (wearing YELLOW attire) and will be assigned a job based mostly upon your initial inmate screening when you book into jail. You will work 6-8 hours a day, 5-7 days a week without breaks. Some say working in the Officer Dining Room (ODR) is the best job available because you get to eat Officer food--trust me, it's a terrible job (the food still sucks) and you work 7 days a week, 6 hours straight without breaks, with 3-7 Sheriff Deputies SCREAMING in your face. Personally, I would have preferred the Bike Shop.

And yes, I was housed in PITCHESS SOUTH FACILITY!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Staffer on LOA

Thanked 1,209 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for this information . My husband was sentenced to 3 years he will do 18 months and has 14 more to go. they have moved him to county jail to fight another case they added after the agreement was signed. He has been pushing for me to find out about this because he would be eligible for early realease. But I see that he will probably do the rest of his time. I also see they are moving some inmates out of state. My husbands cellie from NKSP was maved to AZ and he only has 4 months left.

California Moderator~
~California Member Introductions, HDSP,
PVSP, and SQ~
Fomerly know as TLC2706
Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Unhappy Thank you!

Thanks for the information. It's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I guess I have to be realistic. I miss him so much, and he is suffering as well. Thanks for the support and I wish you well.

Quote:
Hello,
From what I witnessed while at Pitchess South, inmates charged with either misdemeanor or felony DOMESTIC VIOLENCE cases are doing 70-80% of their time. If your fiance is doing 395 days, expect him to be away at least until December. He'll probably be home just in time for Christmas--anything less is good fortune. The best you can hope for is Thanksgiving.

But, hey--he may get extremely lucky. It's sort of a lottery in there--which makes it even more stressful, but the "early release" rumors are just that--RUMORS.

As a staunch optimist, I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but I haven't seen otherwise and I don't want your hopes up too high.

BUT...it never hurts to "hope for the best and prepare for the best..."

Good luck to both of you!!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Don't even know where to start.

My son was sentenced to 180 days and is at LA Co Men's Central Jail. The website says projected release date is October 25. 2009. Is there a chance he could be released earlier than that?

He's never been in jail before and I'm worried sick.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerGirl View Post

My son was sentenced to 180 days and is at LA Co Men's Central Jail. The website says projected release date is October 25. 2009. Is there a chance he could be released earlier than that?

I would think it'd be safe to say that we're all worried sick about our loved ones. One thing you will unfortunately have to get used to is the fact that worrying does not help, not one bit. We are at the mercy of "the system", and it is very corrupt. I feel for you, but, we are all going through it. Just accept what is (your son doing half time is a dang good deal, really) and pray. We all wish and hope that our loved ones can get released early but NO ONE knows if it is going to happen until we get the call "Come and get me". There's always a chance......always. But no one can tell you what the chances are. It's a hard truth to swallow but you'll do better if you just accept what is, today. Worrying will just make you sick. God bless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inlovewithhhp For This Useful Post:
MissingHim21 (06-20-2011), RunnerGirl (07-22-2009)
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM

I HATED not knowing what to expect (good bad or otherwise). Mine got out on work release after 31 days on 180 day sentence. Yet, he kept hearing the 10% rumors and didn't think he'd been all that fortunate to get out after 31. I was sure he'd be gone at least 70 days - probably more like 90. Both of us were suprised by the outcome for opposite reasons!

I worried about him and I missed him but I do think the not knowing was one of the most difficult aspects (at least for me). When he went in, I had it in my head that he MIGHT be home by the end of August at the soonest. It threw me for a loop when he started saying he thought he'd be home in two weeks. Even "good" news was unsettling because you just never know what to expect.

Hang in there!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Some LA County prisoners are still getting out really early

There's another thread going showing someone who just served 7 out of the expected 40 days (sentenced to 60) in LA County.

That's 17.5% of their expected time, or 11.66% of their sentenced time. Under either calculation, it's still less than 20%.

Check it out here: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4805889#post4805889.

South Bay Scott
Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerGirl View Post

Hello,
As stated in my thread, most inmates with non-violent misdemeanor or felony charges are doing between 32-50% of their time--"violent" offenders are doing between 70-80% of their time. The most steadfast and consistent release average I witnessed was approximately 30 days before the "projected release" date on the LA County Inmate website.

In other words, if your son's projected release is October 25, expect him out around September 25--give or take a week either way. This had been the most accurate and common release projection I witnessed during my stay at Pitchess--Men's Central Jail could be another story altogether--I don't know because I wasn't there.

I can tell you (in my case) that my projected release date was actually today, (7/23) and I was released the evening of June 30, so the 30 day projection holds true with me and nearly every other inmate released while I was there.

Believe me, when an inmate was leaving, I asked him how many days he served and what his projected release date was. In nearly every instance he was leaving approximately 30 days before his "projected" release date. There were a few exceptions, but not many.

Again, the 10-20% rumors ARE NOT ACCURATE. Things may have changed this month, but as of June 2009 the "early kicks" were just a kick in the head.

I would expect your son to be out a little sooner than normal because of his location. MCJ is overcrowded and extremely dysfunctional, so there is hope!

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM

Default The statistics are skewered on shorter sentences

What possibly occurred with the prisoner who got out in 7 days on the 40 to be served, is that the County lopped off 30 days from the 40, then subtracted the usual 3-day kick, and voilà, he's out in 7.

Apparently those (non-violent) prisoners who are sentenced to short terms get out relatively early under this formula; thus the statistics get skewered on the shorter sentences.

South Bay Scott
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM

I've just been sentenced to 60 days in LA County Jail for a misdemenour. Have heard some really terrible things about what happens in there. I am Australian and wonder if this is going to be a disadvantage for me being in there not able to fall into a group. Also am wondering how long i can expect to be in there?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM

ok so my man got 136 days with 8 days credit for his 3rd dui.. (i know what an idiot).... but as of august 2009 people are being released like really early (according to the news) cuz of the governors new budget cuts.... so has anyone recently (like this month) been released??..... he went in august 17th with a projected release date of november 7th.... he is currently at north county correctional facilty...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Question - my Husband is at Pitchess S. Tuesday the screening committee gave him 40 days with 50% for a parole violation --- BUT I believe they told him the Governor has said there is no more 50% in LA country and he needs to serve the full 40 days.

Anyone know of this new ruling???? True/False/etc.
THANKS
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 AM

I was told that men who get a year are getting out overnight.
not the women just the men.
I trust the source of the info but am lacking details, anyone else heard about this?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzlled View Post
I was told that men who get a year are getting out overnight.
not the women just the men.
I trust the source of the info but am lacking details, anyone else heard about this?

That's not true. Last I heard the women are getting out faster than men. That may have changed but men are definitely not getting out anywhere near the time you stated.

My husband got out on work release in July after 31 days (sentenced to 180). He's in work release now and new guys start all the time. They're all telling him daily how lucky he was to get out after only 31 days on 180 (+ the work release time). He did 1 month after being sentenced to 6 and they all seem to be serving higher percentages than he did. No one is doing 1 day on a year sentence.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM

I forgot to add - the whole time he was in there deputies would tell him and others they'd probably be out "before the end of the week" (even his 1st week). I think some do that to keep the peace?
The Following User Says Thank You to halebop For This Useful Post:
JCMiller (05-27-2013)