Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Unhappy Arrested for Grand Theft 3rd degree in Florida,Now what happens?

Hi there,
My name is Jane and recently I was arrested for grand theft 3rd degree in Florida. A total on $419.50 in merchandise. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what could possibly happen to me. When I was 15 I was arrested for petty theft and successfully completed my arbitration, Also when I was 17 I was arrested again for petty theft and that arbitration I completed successfully. I am now 20 and have been arrested for grand theft. I am concerned I may be going to jail judging by my past record. I am not a bad person and I was shop lifting in hopes of making money off the product (to pay off my credit card debt) I have been trying to pay them off for years now and have gotten absolutely nowhere and I was in a rut and felt like there was no other options besides that...or stripping. I work two jobs already! Anyways, Does anyone have any advice on what could possibly happen? I feel terrible and I am concerned. Will the judge send me to jail? Will I get probation? What's going to happen!?
If anyone could please help me that would be great.
thank you, greatly.
Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM

If you can't afford an atty, you have no choice but a PD, but you can still get a free half hour consultation with several attys. Go to them, for their take of your situation, but don't act like you have no funds to hire them on the spot, dress well. Walter Grantham of Clearwater might be one to try. Either way your case most likely will be decided between the DA and your representative. Show sorrow, and offer restitution, even if you have to borrow from Peter to pay Paul. A better than 50/50 you can still get probation on this one....good luck.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM

I don't want to sound like i don't feel sympathy for your situation. Many of us have been in the spot were we have large debt but we have not shoplifted to sell stolen item to pay that debt.

You past will be hard to hide from. I have no faith in any of the PA in florida. You are taking a chance with them as in the previous post go to a few attorneys and get their advice. Maybe one of them could put you on a payment plan. I hope you get probation and don't have to do time. I could never wish that on anyone. But breaking the law is never the answer to any thing.

my life begins
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
missin my babe so much

From what I know they can't bring up ur juvy record as an adult. For the most part once ur an adult they pretty much seal ur juvy record, but like I said for the most part. As far as ur situation I don't think they will look at ur juvy record. But I am not 100% I'm just speakin from past experience. But sry for what u are going through. Times are tough for everyone.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM

i just have to say - what were you thinking?
the worse that happens if you don't pay a credit card is you get bad credit.
but if you steal you go to prison.

maybe you should see a therapist as there is an underlying reason for why you steal.

re: your question - chances are you will get probation. but if you keep doing this one day you are going to come across a prosecutor or judge that will not be sympathetic, as now you are an adult and you should know better.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 AM
See you in 3 yrs!

I'm not a judge, but dont be surprised if you do county jail time.

the max the judge can give you is 5 yrs in prison for a 3rd degree felony in florida

sooooo do alotta praying
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 AM

I am an aspiring defense lawyer, but I am currently in college and have not started law school yet. However in looking at Florida law as that is where I am planning on going to law school, I will say this. As a poster above mention, Grand Theft in Florida is a third degree felony punishable by a maximum of 5 years in prison. If you were to take this to trial, you would probably get the full 5. You are in Pinellas County, Florida? I believe that is where Clearwater is, I went there on vacation with my family a couple of years ago. You have a prior record, but those were settled in juvenile court? I do not think you will get prison time because your prior cases were juvenile cases but I cannot say that for sure. Public defenders are actually not all bad, sometimes they are better than privately retained lawyers and even if your public defender sucks at least you are not out a ton of money like you would be with a private lawyer that could burn you. I would recommend getting a public defender, and see if your PD can get the State's Attorney's Office to negotiate a plea deal that only requires probation (community supervision) and little to no jail time. What do you think of this?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM

just like my case but i got 3 count of 3rd degree of grand theft. my advice to you is get a good lawyer... in the end i got 2 yrs probation and 100 hr of community service and pay back 12,xxx. wish you the best of luck. also i have no prior.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

At this moment you are apparently outside of confinement. You need to go to your nearest mental health counselor and get help. That is not being mean but honest. There is help for people without insurance or funds. Call around to the local nonprofit hospitals and ask. It is obvious you have a problem. Recognizing it and seeking help for it will go a long way not only for you but for a judge to see you have a problem and are getting help for it. Stealing is not the answer to solving financial problems. If you haven't already, cut up the credit cards. As a previous poster said the worse they can do to you is show bad credit. It sucks, but it's better than being a convicted felon. You think it's rough now, being a convicted felon and trying to find one job will be a chore. Show the courts you are trying to get help for what appears to be an addiction issue (and drugs/alcohol are not the only addictions out there) and hope they will give you another chance. You don't have the excuse of being a juvenile any longer. A felony will stick to you for the rest of your life.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM

I agree with wifeof. good advice.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM

With student loans, I'm over forty thousand dollars in debt. A big chunk of that is credit card debt. Good thing I'll be an attorney when I graduate. I don't see anyone feeling sorry for you. I don't know that showing remorse will matter. The judge may look at it like you are sorry that you got caught. That would seem to be the case since you are trying to justify your actions. You will likely pay restitution. As for what happens next, waiting, waiting, and more waiting. It's the hardest part of the process. Once you know what to expect, you can take it head on. Waiting is what sucks. Good luck.

Also, you might get community service or something. I don't see you going to prison. And remember, stripping isn't against the law, but stealing is.

Last edited by pbandk; 10-29-2009 at 02:21 PM..
Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up

I can tell you from first hand experience two things:

1st: You definetly have an addiction as I relate because I also suffer from that addiction. Get help!

2nd: I had 2 prior petty theft and this charge was actually a petty theft but the store, police, and DA pursued a felony dollar amt. I took it to trial with a PD and the jury convicted me guilty. The judge did sentence me to the max of 48 months DOC and 1 yr. probation. I went to prison for a year and a half.

By the grace of God I was granted my appeal in Dec. 2009 and emergency released 10 days later. I have now been out going on 8 months. My higher power which is Jesus Christ is helping me through this addiction. If it were not for His help I would definetly still be out there shoplifting. I have had this issue since I was in elementary school. For 20 to 30 yrs. God allowed me to continue getting away with it. Praise the Lord I now am convicted every time I go into a store or I am in a situation where my old self would automatically do it without even thinking twice about it. I would then always justify my behavior and tell myself it was OK! People who have never experienced this type of addiction can easily say what they say about. But, until you have actually experienced this awful bondage you should keep quiet and not judge. I'm sure there is something in your life that is not all that good either. The Lord teaches to not judge lest you be judged. Your day will come too. Please remember no matter what happens you can face whatever the outcome by taking responsibility for what you did.
I pray you realize that God is in control of everything anyway, even when we don't want to acknowledge it.

Last edited by jacksondiane35; 07-30-2010 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: mispelling