Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Default How do I find out if I'm an approved visitor?

Hi everyone... So my guy has been in and out of the system for along time......I've visited him at High Desert and now hes at PVSP A yard.......Is there a way of finding out if im still approved to be on his visitng list.. I know a few years ago he sent me a visitng form and I filled it out dont remember i f I had gotten approved or not.. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

he has to ask if your still on the list... my man got transferred and i tried to call and ask even though i just got approved last july, and they said thats something he has to find out. as far as i know you have to update every 2 years...

in the mean time... just ask him to send you another form.. better safe than sorry... hope i could help....
Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
---------------

Thanked 5,778 Times in 3,498 Posts

If you were able to see him at High Desert, his information should follow him to PVSP. You can try and call the visiting dept and asking if you are approved...but the chances of them telling you are not all that good. Its a confidentiality issue. What he can do is send a request to have all his approved visitors listed. It may take a little while since he has to get the request out to the department and then they have to send it back to him.

If you are on his approved list...and you havent filled out a new visiting application in a few years...then when you get to the prison you will just have to do a update. He doesnt have to sign the back like he did when you first filled out the application.

I hope this helps sweetie and you are able to see him very soon
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I belong to him
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplespirit79 View Post
Hi everyone... So my guy has been in and out of the system for along time......I've visited him at High Desert and now hes at PVSP A yard.......Is there a way of finding out if im still approved to be on his visitng list.. I know a few years ago he sent me a visitng form and I filled it out dont remember i f I had gotten approved or not.. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tammy
If he was released then went back in since you last visited, then you will need to reapply to visit.

~grumpy's wifey~

Loyalty IS Everything!!

Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 AM

Hi,
Can I visit my boyfriend if I am on informal probation? How do I find out if I can visit before I spend 5 hours driving to PVSP. PLEASE ANY information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 12-15-2009, 05:42 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,880 Times in 10,414 Posts

you need to have him send you a signed visit application. You fill it out and send it back to the visiting sgt at the prison he is in. He will then be notified either way if you are approved for visits or not. He will either have to call or write you the outcome.
If you are on informal probation, Im not sure it will be easy to get approved.

There is a nap for that

Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM
A truly blessed Site Mod

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,218 Times in 2,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostlove32 View Post
Hi,
Can I visit my boyfriend if I am on informal probation? How do I find out if I can visit before I spend 5 hours driving to PVSP. PLEASE ANY information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
If you are on informal probation then you would have to get a letter from your probation officer stating that you are in good standing and that he or she see need no reason why should not be able to visit.

Fall edition of the PTO Quarterly 2014 is here!!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Hello Ladies,
I urgently need some help. I finally found a ride to visit on Jan 9th and still am not sure if I am approved. I wanted to surprise my boyfriend and also I am not sure if the letter I mailed him today asking him to confirm my approval will make it there before the holidays. I tried to call PVSP but even getting a live person was difficult beyond belief. I finally pushed enough buttons and somehow reached their personnel dept a live person who listened to my situation only to transfer me the same number and recording I had been trying. So I then called her back again and said it was just a recording is there any other numbers. Of course I was told no not that she was aware of. Translation no info for me. She suggested I try calling the visiting line when its open and ask them. Ladies will they even tell me anything over the phone? I just dont want to tell our kids were going to see Dadddy and then be denied. We have not seen him in 4 long years, if anyone knows of how to help me please send me an email. I would love to tell our daughter on christmas eve that her next present is to see Daddy. Thank you and stay strong. Also just wanted to let anyone know that I am currently going to school to become a paralegal and can do basic filing like divorce or civil matters i would be more then happy to give any info you may need. This would be completely free and I am not trolling for work. I am just offing my services if ever the need should arrive. I also could use the practice for school. In fact I did my boyfriends divorce becuase he got locked up before it was done. Now I am not a lawyer but am going to school to work with them. Basically lawyers dont do anything but tell others what to do, and that will one day be me. My reason for this career is becuase the law is so screwed up and I have seen so many loved one's wronged and becuase the didnt know or couldnt ask questions they thought it was hopeless. Its not hopless and neither our the men we love who are locked up. Do any other ladies feel like society is biased against prisoners and even some friends and family? I hope I am not alone in this drama. I have chosen that any friends who dont support me and the man I love then reallly they arent a true friend. My man is a good guy, never hurt me but merely made a bad choices.

Regards
Melinda "Proud Girlfriend of an Inmate" I actually had a shirt made with this quote.

Regards
Melinda
The Following User Says Thank You to lostlove32 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-18-2009)
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Default Visiting and on probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
you need to have him send you a signed visit application. You fill it out and send it back to the visiting sgt at the prison he is in. He will then be notified either way if you are approved for visits or not. He will either have to call or write you the outcome.
If you are on informal probation, Im not sure it will be easy to get approved.
Hi Sidewalker,
thanks for answering my question. The problem is that I dont have a probation officer because its informal probation. I never report to anyone never have. Its just something the stupid OC courts add on to you when you get a ticket for driving without a valid license. Basically the county way of taking more money from me becuase they added those fees on to my ticket too. I even tried calling the probation department and they said no one could give me a letter because I am not on Formal probation. Informal means that if I break any laws for the next 3 years my butt is in extra trouble because of the fact i am on informal probation. So what ever i do would be doubled in terms of time in jail. All this becuase of missing some payments on my ticket. I am so serious and not sugar coating why I am on probation. I just need answers and its like pulling teeth when calling the prison. Are the CO's any better then I remember from years ago? there were at least 3-4 that were cool and not mess with us at visiting as long as we didnt take things too far. But we used to kiss and hug from start to finsh of visiting. Now i hear the patio isnt even open is this true? Is it also true that you have to warm up the food and our men have to stand way back? I so need to know the unwritten rules again so that I dont screw up big time.

Thank you
Melinda
Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,203 Posts

Ok, so believe it or not, after all my trials and tribulations with the CDC and getting approved (see my thread regarding this issue) one thing that they have never had an issue with as far as I am concerned is the fact that I am on informal probation (knock on wood). When I filled out the application I just put that it was informal probation and where it said supervising agency I put the courts (two of them) that put me on it.

That being said, I am STILL not approved, but for reasons other than being on informal probation.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
IF YOUR ON INFORMAL PROBATION I DONT THINK YOU CAN VISIST HIM JUST BE SURE WHEN YOU FILL OUT THE VISITING FORM THAT YOU FILL THAT PART OUT. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hi Sidewalker,
thanks for answering my question. The problem is that I dont have a probation officer because its informal probation. I never report to anyone never have. Its just something the stupid OC courts add on to you when you get a ticket for driving without a valid license. Basically the county way of taking more money from me becuase they added those fees on to my ticket too. I even tried calling the probation department and they said no one could give me a letter because I am not on Formal probation. Informal means that if I break any laws for the next 3 years my butt is in extra trouble because of the fact i am on informal probation. So what ever i do would be doubled in terms of time in jail. All this becuase of missing some payments on my ticket. I am so serious and not sugar coating why I am on probation. I just need answers and its like pulling teeth when calling the prison. Are the CO's any better then I remember from years ago? there were at least 3-4 that were cool and not mess with us at visiting as long as we didnt take things too far. But we used to kiss and hug from start to finsh of visiting. Now i hear the patio isnt even open is this true? Is it also true that you have to warm up the food and our men have to stand way back? I so need to know the unwritten rules again so that I dont screw up big time.

Thank you
Melinda
HEY GIRL WELL AM FROM THE OC I HAD INFORMAL PROBATION FOR 3 YRS BACK IN THE DAYS MY SOON TO BE HUSBAND WAS @ HIGH DESERT AND I COULDNT GET APPROVED BECAUSE OF MY INFORMAL PROBATION I COULDNT GET A LETTER FROM THE PROBATION DEPT CAUSE I WASNT ASSIGN TO A OFFICER .I AS WELL DIDNT HAVE TO REPORT MY SELF TO NO ONE WEIRD HUH ? WELL FIANL I WAS OFF ALL THAT BULL AND GOT APPROVED TO SEE MY HUBAND , NOW I HAVE A NEW MAN IN MY LIFE AND HIS AT DONOVAN I FILLED OUT THE VISING FORM AND I GOT DENIED CAUSE OF MY CRIMINAL RECORD HOW STUPID IS THAT I GOT APPROVE TO SEE MY HUSBAND BUT I DIDNT GET APROVE TO SEE MY BF THE SYSTEM IS ALL F**** UP I HAD TO WRITE A LETTER THE WARDEN EXPLAINING MY SITUATION AND HOPING THAT HE WILL APPROVE ME. WISH ME LUCK IF THE WARDEN DOESTN APPROV ME I HAVE TO WAIT 6 MONTHS TO RE-APPLY AM SO MAD I MISS HIM SO BAD ANYHOW , GOOD LUCK GIRL HANG IN THERE , THE SYSTEM HERE IN CALIFORNIA VALLE MADRE ( CALIFORNIA LAWA SUCK ) OH AND YEAH SOMETHINGS HAVE CHANGE , LIKE WHEN YOU WARM UP THERE FOOD THEY HAVE TO WAIT WAY BACK , SOME PRISONS YOU CAN STILL GIVE THEM A HUG AND KISS BEGIING AND END OF VISITS. THE PATIO IT DEPENDS ON THE WEATHER SOMETIMES THEY'LL OPEN IT THE LAST TIME I WENT TO SEE MY HUSBAND THEY HAD THE PATIO OPEN THIS WAS LIKE 2YRS AGO .

Last edited by LOVINGBREED; 12-17-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
~Only the Strong Survive~

Hey ladies I see we all have alot in common...LOL... I myself was in informal probation and doing a Diversion program, now the prison my hubby is in didnt deny me rite off the back but didnt approve me either, they wanted my case to get dismissed so that they could process my appt...Now my case has been dismissed and I resent my appt with ALL info of any arrest record I even added my Juvenile record LOL just in case so now I'm hoping and praying I finally get approved... I wish you ladies the best of luck and hope that WE ALL get approved soon....

Mammaz

Last edited by HIS_MAMMAZ; 01-04-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Bonnie & Clyde

you can call and find out or wait till he notifies you

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM

My man is in lancaster right now but he used to be in dessert veiw adelanto i got approved at dessert veiw does anyone know if i would be approved at lancaster does the visiting status follow no matter where he goes or do i have to fill out a new form everytime they move him someone please help
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 PM

hi my man is locked up in Centinella and i sent in my visiting form i have heard nothing back and it has been months. I called and they let me schedule a visit(appointment) does that mean that i got approved? ... please let me know something if you have any info....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,880 Times in 10,414 Posts

as I understand it, once you are approved the approval to visit should follow. It would need to be updated every two yrs, but I dont think you have to go thru the application again.

Ourson...Usually the inmate will let you know if you are approved or not.
You may want to try calling and having them check, but not sure they will tell you.
I dont know if they let you shedule a visit, if that means you are approved or not.
The person your visiting should have let you know. They should have told him/her

There is a nap for that

Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Stormy41Mom

Thanked 1,132 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes84 View Post
My man is in lancaster right now but he used to be in dessert veiw adelanto i got approved at dessert veiw does anyone know if i would be approved at lancaster does the visiting status follow no matter where he goes or do i have to fill out a new form everytime they move him someone please help
Hi, I believe that he was in a conservation camp in Adelanto? If that s true please call Lancaster and ask. I believe that if they go to a CCF and then back to a state prison that you have to re apply.

The approvals are good for 2 years but if he changes from CCF to State or State to CCF I think has to be redone as they are run by different organizations.

Someone please correct me if I gave incorrect info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvia For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-06-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 5,477 Times in 3,266 Posts

Your visiting application is suppost to follow but sometimes it dosen't allways show up in the computer. However since you were approved at Dessert view which is a CCF you will need to reapply at Lancaster since it is a state prison. The state prisons are ran by the state and the CCF's are privately ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes84 View Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to light at end For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-06-2010), Sylvia (01-06-2010)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 PM

Hi. Question. I sent in a visitation form back to Joshua in late January. My friend wants us to visit next weekend, but I'm worried I won't have heard confirmation from him by then (we only correspond via letters). Is there any other way I can find out if I've been approved? If I call the office and supply them with the ID number they have on file will they let me know?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Correct me if I am wrong anyone but I believe that only the inmate can provide you with the information that you have been approved. If you are denied the institution will tell you that you were denied and why but not when you are approved. When I appealed my denial and called about it, I was told any official approval would go to the inmate then back to me from the inmate. I hate to say it but although the approval could come by now if you sent it late in January they often take longer. A phone call from the inmate would help you if you have already set it up but that also takes about a week minimum to set up calls.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Banned

I'll correct you because you are wrong, . just teasing
Seriously though, call the prison and explain to them you are driving from far away and would like to know if you are approved to visit because you do not want ot get there and find out you are not. 99% of the prisons will ell you. They will ask for his name, his cdc # and your name and dr license number.

Also, some prisons only take two weeks. Chuckawalla only took me tow weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFer Friend View Post
Correct me if I am wrong anyone but I believe that only the inmate can provide you with the information that you have been approved. If you are denied the institution will tell you that you were denied and why but not when you are approved. When I appealed my denial and called about it, I was told any official approval would go to the inmate then back to me from the inmate. I hate to say it but although the approval could come by now if you sent it late in January they often take longer. A phone call from the inmate would help you if you have already set it up but that also takes about a week minimum to set up calls.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I belong to him
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFer Friend View Post
You are correct they will not tell you over the phone that you have been approved or denied. Any denials, the prison will send a letter to the visitor & the inmate stating the reason for denial. Approvals go directly to the inmate & it is up to them to notify you. & I have never heard of an occasion where they actually told anyone over the phone that they have been approved & I've been doing this a long time..

~grumpy's wifey~

Loyalty IS Everything!!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Still loving my hubby...

Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.grumps View Post
You are correct they will not tell you over the phone that you have been approved or denied. Any denials, the prison will send a letter to the visitor & the inmate stating the reason for denial. Approvals go directly to the inmate & it is up to them to notify you. & I have never heard of an occasion where they actually told anyone over the phone that they have been approved & I've been doing this a long time..

It depends on who you get on the phone. When my husband was at NKSP I called and they told me over the phone but my visiting form had been pending for over 2 months. Also anytime my husband has been transferred I always call to make sure my approval followed him and they usually will give me the information. It's worth a shot to call and the worse than can say is no we can't give you the info...right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ALWAYS HERE 4 M For This Useful Post:
mrs.grumps (02-22-2010), pj663 (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,203 Posts

They told me that I was approved over the phone, but then again I had been writing letters and calling and appealing the denials for over 6 months. For the most part they won't tell you on the phone.

Also just as an addition, them telling me that I got denied over the phone created all kinds of problems when I appealed the decision because the prison then denied that they told me over the phone. Sooooo, be careful and make sure you document who you speak with, and when you speak with them.

Last edited by D4C; 02-22-2010 at 09:30 AM..