Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 AM

Question What does the SHU mean?

Hi everybody,

I'm not really familiar with prison terms, and I recently received a letter from my man, saying that he was found guilty of something that happen at his dorm, and that he was in the hole, and they gave him 2 years in the SHU? He didn't really explain me what SHU means, and if he did,I didn't understand. Could someone explain to me what SHU term means? Does that means he's gonna do 2 more years in prison? I'm really confused I would really appreciate any information?

Thank you for your time

Always,
Baby Brown Eyes
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2004, 11:21 AM
True love waits!

It's my understanding that in California - SHU stands for Segregated Housing Unit - where they are COMPLETELY locked up - for 23 hours a day - no contact with anyone - sensory deprivation kind of thing! I'm sure some knowledgable California person will come along with more information for you.
No, I don't think it actually ADDS time to his sentence - just that he's locked in a "hole" for that time!

Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Been here forever

yup, he is placed in seg.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,099 Times in 217 Posts

Hi and welcome to PTO. You might want to check out the Pelican Bay Forum it has a SHU program and there is a lot of information on it. There is no way to know if he got more time or just got 2 years of his time in the SHU. You didn't say which prison in is in, my son is in the SHU at Pelican Bay. Love Barb

Old 01-12-2004, 12:40 PM

Thank you Barb, I read some of the information at Pelican Bay Forum. Thanks a lot I now have a better understanding about this "SHU term" means. My boyfriend is at Corcoran, I asked one of his brothers who has been in prison before if my boyfriend was gonna do more time in the SHU (2 yrs in the SHU) he said that they can't add more time to his sentenced, he (my bother in-law) said that what it meant was that when ever he (my man) goes back to prison again (hopefully not!) he has to do 2 yrs in the SHU. but that's only if he ever goes back. I really hope that was what my boyfriend meant in his letter. I keep asking my man, when he will be coming out? but he never answers, I'm thinking, maybe he wants to surprises me. Anyways He was put in prison on April 2003, and was sentenced to 1 year in prison for violation of parole, so I'm hoping he gets out on April of 2004.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,099 Times in 217 Posts

I don't uuderstand what your brother meant? If they gave him 2 years in the SHU it is for a new case and he will do it now. If he paroles out of the SHU it means if he ever goes back to prison the SHU is where he will do his new time. Love Barb