Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Prison Phones
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Phones Discuss problems, solutions and other issues relating to institutional phone systems here

Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Cell Phone calls - How do you set it up?

I have a cell phone which is the # I gave to my friend. I have Sprint so I don't think I can get collect calls. I don't want to do ANYTHING against the rules because I am not going to take the chance of getting caught and him getting in trouble for it. I put $35 in his account, can he call my cell phone? I have a home phone but my sister lives with me and ... I just don't think she would understand if she saw me getting a call from a federal prison. I can refill his account every week if I have to so he can do calling. I just want to make sure he can call my cell phone! Once my sister moves out, how do I set it up to receive calls from him on my home phone. I am going to assume its cheaper than refilling his money account lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I LOVE CARLOS!!!
Donation Award 

Have you tried starting an account with correctional billing services its prepaid collect calls and you can choose whichever phone number you want to accept calls from
Old 06-20-2009, 10:24 PM

How do I do that? I am so new at this it isn't even funny. Can I do it through my cell or does it have to be through a landline>?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I LOVE CARLOS!!!
Donation Award 

To open a new account, call 1-800-844-6591 YEA YOU CAN USE THE CELL PHONE TO RECIEVE CALLS AND WHEN YOU SET IT UP HE'LL JUST CALL YOU'RE PHONE DIRECTLY
Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 PM

But I thought they won't set it up through cell phones?

I am very new at this so I don't mean to sound ignorant I just don't understand. So, I call that number - set it up through my cell phone # and then he doesn't have to pay anything, just call my # directly? Does he have a pin or a special way he has to go thru to call me?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I LOVE CARLOS!!!
Donation Award 

When you set it up let him know and he can just call you to your cell phone its still going to give you the option of whether you want to accept the call or not when he calls and they just take it out of your account the minimum is $50 and you can do it to more then one number...he doesnt need anything but your phone number
Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 AM

Thank you so much! That is just awesome. How much is it approx?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,665 Posts

Your friend is in a Federal facility, right? As long as he has money in his account you do not need to setup an account with anyone that I'm aware of. If you will be paying for the calls (collect) then you will need an account, but I'm not sure who the phone provider is for the Fed facilities. And he will only be allowed 300 minutes per month.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare
Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Can I just add that I think it shouldn't matter what your sister thinks?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM

LOL LOL. I agree; however, that is a conversation I am saving for a later date. And really, I work from home so I couldn't take calls from my home phone (I have to turn the ringer off when I am working which is 75% of the time - I can log off if I have to take a call from my cell). My sister is moving out soon so that won't be a problem but I am mainly afraid if I am gone, she will hear the federal prison thing and think wrong number. I am trying not to air my business to everyone at this time.

So as long as he has money in his account, he can call me on my cell? Yes, he's in a fed facility.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 PM

And that really stinks about 300 min per month, thats only 5 hours. We use to do that in a DAY! I will be crunching my budget so I can see him every other week then because not being able to talk to him that much will just CRUSH me.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Good luck with that girl, and when you find out if that works let me know. I'm in the same boat. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 11:37 AM
~LOST WIT OUT YOU~

I have to tell u to go to correctional Billing...that's were I have an account...its not the best...but he can call u direct with no problems...u can use ur own money he doesn't have to call u collect or nothing like that.....u only pay $50 dollars or more depends and they will call u and let u know when it's time to put money on ur account....

~ I self destruct every relationship so that i don't get hurt... but in truth i just hurt myself worse in the long run~
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Maybe this page will give you more incite on the topic of cell phone calls from Federal Prisons. Follow this link: http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/visiting.jsp

Although people still get cell phone calls through, they are not allowed cause they are considered third party.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Calls from prisoners in federal institutions to cell phones

In searching the relevant federal regulations and rules, I have not located any actual restrictions on cell phone numbers being added to the federal prisoner’s approved phone list, and/or any restrictions on calls being placed to any such approved cell phone numbers.

The Inmate Telephone System (ITS) in place in most federal prison facilities is run by the government itself (the BOP contracted out for the installation of the system), and there is no need to open an account with GTL, CBS or any other inmate phone provider.

The specific rules and regulations governing the ITS are found in the Bureau of Prison’s (BOP) Program Statement (PS) 5264.08, entitled “Inmate Telephone Regulations,” effective 1-28-2008.

PS 5264.08 may be found on the following BOP web page: http://www.bop.gov/DataSource/execute/dsPolicyLoc, and I have also attached it as a PDF file.

The BOP promulgated PS 5264.08 in conjunction with the authority granted by the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) (and the Federal Administrative Procedures Act), and the actual CFR sections that oversee inmate telephone privileges are found in Volume 28 (28 CFR) Part 540.100 et seq (which are also reproduced in PS 5264.08 in bold lettering).

The Program Statement’s restatement of 28 CFR part 540.101(a)(2) provides that:

“Except as provided in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, telephone numbers requested by an inmate ordinarily will be placed on the inmate's telephone list.”

Paragraph (a)(3) provides that:

“The Associate Warden may deny placement of a telephone number on an inmate's telephone list if the Associate Warden determines that there is a threat to institution security or good order, or a threat to the public. Any disapproval must be documented in writing to both the inmate and the proposed recipient. As with concerns about any correctional issue, including any portion of these telephone regulations, an inmate may appeal the denial through the administrative remedy procedure (see 28 CFR part 542). The Associate Warden will notify the denied recipient that he or she may appeal the denial by writing to the Warden within 15 days of the receipt of the denial." [Underline emphasis added.]

Thus, if a proposed phone number (cell or otherwise) is denied placement on the prisoner’s phone list, both the prisoner and the proposed recipient must be notified in writing (both of whom my individually challenge the restriction).

The only other possible restriction on the allowance of cell phone numbers on the prisoner’s phone list would be found in the local “Institution Supplements” to PS 5264.08, which are available from the respective institution. It would seem, however, that there would have to be a known security threat (or other problem) with cell phone numbers in general for any institution to exclude all cell phone numbers from placement on the phone lists. Additionally, if the placement of cell phone numbers on a prisoner’s phone list was of such paramount concern, then this type of restriction should be contained in the national program statement and/or also incorporated into Part 540 of 28 CFR.

Anyone with further information about BOP policy concerning the placement of cell phone numbers on approved phone lists by federal prisoners, please provide further details.

South Bay Scott

Last edited by South Bay; 06-27-2009 at 11:46 AM..