Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Registered Ole Fart User

Exclamation One man's story about rape

Kendell Spruce was raped 27 times at Cummins prison in Arkansas resulting in his contracting AIDs, hear this bisexual ex-inmate's audio story:

http://www.justdetention.org/en/surv...dio/Bryson.mp3

His testimony in print:

http://www.justdetention.org/en/NPRE...ellspruce.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kendellspruce.jpg (33.9 KB, 157 views)

GLBT men and women should be treated with the same respect as everyone else.

Last edited by trick; 06-16-2009 at 03:28 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trick For This Useful Post:
retired-37 (07-04-2009), sage26 (07-04-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Luvs Her Pen Pals

I read the printed version and was absolutely horrified by this story and some of the others I also read through the same link. I'm speechless.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
kendell spruce was raped 27 times at cummins prison in arkansas resulting in his contracting aids, hear this bisexual ex-inmate's audio story:

http://www.justdetention.org/en/surv...dio/bryson.mp3

his testimony in print:

http://www.justdetention.org/en/npre...ellspruce.aspx
holy s that is soo awful so sad i am glad hes speaking out and trying to stop this. Wtf
Old 07-04-2009, 04:09 PM

This was one of the saddest / horrifiyng things that I have ever read on PTO. I pray that he does not give up on getting the word out about prison rapes. Thank you for this thread.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
His wife 4 life

wow i don,t know what to say, but i,m glad he is speaking out about this, more needs to speak out on this, they need to be heard,just b.c guys like him done wrong dose not mean they have to go though all of that.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Irrelevant, ignorant & ill-informed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,113 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
Kendell Spruce was raped 27 times at Cummins prison in Arkansas resulting in his contracting AIDs, hear this bisexual ex-inmate's audio story:

http://www.justdetention.org/en/surv...dio/Bryson.mp3

His testimony in print:

http://www.justdetention.org/en/NPRE...ellspruce.aspx
I am soooooooooooooooo disgusted by this story that I'm almost speechless......ALMOST!! I spent time in a Texas (TDCJ) unit called Bradshaw, and while I was never physically raped, the emotional toll it took has caused permanent psychological damage........emotional rape. My partner spent many years at the Beto Unit. I remember when we first met 13 years ago, he had a wonderful personality and the most beautiful striking baby blue eyes you ever saw. Prison changed both of us and not in a good way. We haven't been together in 11 years but we are the best of friends and communicate daily via text, e-mail, myspace and/ or phone. We have a bond that no one can break not even TDCJ!! He came to visit me 2 years ago......I hadn't seen him in 11 years!! We had a lot of catching up to do so he stayed about 2 months...and even that wasn't long enough. We realized a lot about each other in those 2 months. I had turned into a bitter old man( at 35) who lashed out at anything and everything in life. He had become aggressive and violent towards anything that represented authority....even his baby blues seemed to have turned a colder, darker shade of blue to me. We both became uglier people inside as a result of the Texas prison system...yet that is the common bond that has kept us communicating all these years long after the 'love affair' ended. You see, neither of us were physically raped in prison, and we never contracted HIV.....yet the very essence of our being died there in those two very different prisons at two very different times. We didn't contract a fatal illness but we both still died because we can never be a normal human beings again. The anger and bitterness consumes my life every waking hour of every day and I can't help it. I am traumatized and easily startled; He is paranoid and physically violent. We were neither of these things before we went to prison. We have paid a heavy price for non- violent offenses. Mr. Spruce, I am soooooooooo sorry for what has happened to you. I really am....................andy
The Following User Says Thank You to retired-37 For This Useful Post:
keith.b (07-05-2009)
Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 AM
BF in Ferguson

Hi, and Hello,

Achapinguy, I found common ground between you, your freind, and my boyfriend and myself in your post. I know exactly what you are talking about and exactly how you and your friend feel. I did 5 years in TDCJ and I can tell you they almost broke my spirits. They so badly wanted to take all hope from me, and leave me a broken angry violent person. I refused to let them win, and fortunately I made it. I have been out since Dec'08.

I am supporting my boyfriend who I met in TDCJ, and who is still in. Unfortuneately, he is at the Ferguson Unit, and I am afraid they are going to break him, and his spirits. They are trying real hard to take all hope from him, and I am afraid he will come home not as that sweet kind soft hearted young man I fell in love with but as what you describe has happened to you.

That is so sad how TDCJ believes it is their right to punish us more than what the law has prescribed for our punishment. The travesty of what happened to Kendell Spruce is a prime example. I hope that my baby makes it home without being raped, or beaten to death, but I am just as concerned that he will come home angry, bitter, reckless, and full of hate.

I know everyone is different, and everyone's story is going to be unique, but we all have shared something in common in TDCJ.

Thanks for your story, I know your frustration, and your pain, but... for your sanity, and your physical well-being, you should try to let it go. You need to find the strength to be bigger than that, and damn, please don't think I believe it is easy, I know it's not. I had to find it myself, and only you can find it for yourself, and the same with your friend. He probably had it a lot tougher on Beto than you did on Bradshaw, but both places are still in this unregualted penal system, and neither are good places to be. If you must hang on to your anger and bitterness then that is your choice, but life is SO much better when you have the strength and control over yourself to forgive and just let it go.

I am in a situation with my baby right now that can could me to be extremely bitter and angry with this system, but I can't control it, so I will just have to ride it out and see what happens. If Nick is raped, or injured, yes I will be angry, and if he comes home changed I will be upset and disappointed, but I refuse to let them control my life NOW, now that I am home and I am free. I will not let my anger and frustration in this current situation consume me, my life, and the love for my boyfriend.

Okay, off my soapbox now. I hope you can find peace, and learn to live again like a free man.

Thanks

aka Nick's Love

Our Motto,
We would rather be hated for what we are, than loved for what we are not...

Last edited by keith.b; 07-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: sp, grammar
Old 07-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Donation Award 

Smile just letting go

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.b View Post
Hi, and Hello,

Achapinguy, I found common ground between you, your freind, and my boyfriend and myself in your post. I know exactly what you are talking about and exactly how you and your friend feel. I did 5 years in TDCJ and I can tell you they almost broke my spirits. They so badly wanted to take all hope from me, and leave me a broken angry violent person. I refused to let them win, and fortunately I made it. I have been out since Dec'08.

I am supporting my boyfriend who I met in TDCJ, and who is still in. Unfortuneately, he is at the Ferguson Unit, and I am afraid they are going to break him, and his spirits. They are trying real hard to take all hope from him, and I am afraid he will come home not as that sweet kind soft hearted young man I fell in love with but as what you describe has happened to you.

That is so sad how TDCJ believes it is their right to punish us more than what the law has prescribed for our punishment. The travesty of what happened to Kendell Spruce is a prime example. I hope that my baby makes it home without being raped, or beaten to death, but I am just as concerned that he will come home angry, bitter, reckless, and full of hate.

I know everyone is different, and everyone's story is going to be unique, but we all have shared something in common in TDCJ.

Thanks for your story, I know your frustration, and your pain, but... for your sanity, and your physical well-being, you should try to let it go. You need to find the strength to be bigger than that, and damn, please don't think I believe it is easy, I know it's not. I had to find it myself, and only you can find it for yourself, and the same with your friend. He probably had it a lot tougher on Beto than you did on Bradshaw, but both places are still in this unregualted penal system, and neither are good places to be. If you must hang on to your anger and bitterness then that is your choice, but life is SO much better when you have the strength and control over yourself to forgive and just let it go.

I am in a situation with my baby right now that can could me to be extremely bitter and angry with this system, but I can't control it, so I will just have to ride it out and see what happens. If Nick is raped, or injured, yes I will be angry, and if he comes home changed I will be upset and disappointed, but I refuse to let them control my life NOW, now that I am home and I am free. I will not let my anger and frustration in this current situation consume me, my life, and the love for my boyfriend.

Okay, off my soapbox now. I hope you can find peace, and learn to live again like a free man.

Thanks
Hi Keith,

You are so right about 'just letting it go'. Since Bradshaw, I have graduated from college, found a decent job, bought a nice used car, and leased a small, cozy apartment. I am self- supporting now and by all means should be happy and content. I have been in therapy for four years and yes it has made a differencce. However, the nightmares haven't gone away.....I still wake up in the middle of the night and think I'm back there!! I was really traumatized by the whole experience that is why I am easily startled when someone surprises me or unexpectedly walks up on me. This is not normal behavior on my part and I am trying to change the way I view the world and interact with people. I started channeling the rage, and bitterness into ways that I can help people by speaking out against these atrocities. I have a long road ahead of me, but as they say, "the journey is sometimes more important than the destination". I wish you and your boyfriend all the best!!........................andy

Last edited by retired-37; 07-05-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

think about the young kids being preyed on daily.......That is what needs to be addressed.....
Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
BF in Ferguson

The issue is being addressed. Everyone, no matter the age or size, is in danger of being sexually assulted or raped in prison.

My boyfriend is a kid, he's only 24 now, but that is not what makes him a kid. His size, and his lack of aggression makes him a kid. He is a young man, but he still needs to be protected, the same as the 'kids'. But let me tell you, some of those 'kids' are just as bad as some of the old school convicts. They can be just as much of a predator as the real pro's in TDCJ. I seen it happen.

Nick has not been assulted yet, to my knowledge. I do believe he would tell me, but he is in safekeeping because of other offenders that wanted him to pay extortion or give up sexual favors. He will be getting moved off Ferguson soon, Thank to Our Creator!!

EVERYONE is preyed upon in TDCJ, if they see you are weak, or gullible, your out of there, no matter your age or if your a kid or not. Kid's are generally approached more because they are weak and gullible. So, yes they need protection, but all need protection as well, and it would be most productive if more knowledge is given to the new offenders.

There is a program in TDCJ called Peer Education implimented by the Safe Prisons Program, and it is a very good attempt to educate new offenders about predators, sexual assult, STD's, and just everyday prison life, and what to look out for, and how to keep your guard up. I learned a lot in those classes, and everyone that took the class had a positive attitude about the class once the class was complete. They all thought it was a joke at first, but it was real, with real offenders, who have done real time teaching the new guys "the ropes". Texas is trying to make rape a thing of the past, but there will always be someone that just doesn't pay attention, and puts their guard down for a second too long.

I am so grateful that Nick listened to me while we were doing our time together, he told me in his last letter that I saved him from being extorted and/or raped because of the knowledge I passed on to him. I just hope that more young men and women (kids), and all new offeneders can find someone to help them learn the ropes, because being raped is a sad thing to happen to anyone, no matter the age, size, color, or sexual orientation.

aka Nick's Love

Our Motto,
We would rather be hated for what we are, than loved for what we are not...

Last edited by keith.b; 07-10-2009 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: backtracking :|
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.b For This Useful Post:
Jesses_Girl (08-10-2009), retired-37 (07-10-2009)
Old 07-10-2009, 02:05 PM

This is a very disturbing story, I believe in human rights, but believing cannot stop people from going through this. Something must be done, and I am grateful for the courage that this man has in speaking out. I have a love one behind bars, and it will devastate me if he were to go through this. Just because you are in prison, it doesnt mean that being rape should be part of your sentencing. If more people got together and voiced their opinions, prisons will be held accountable for inmates safety. This is very sad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ceci83 For This Useful Post:
keith.b (07-10-2009), retired-37 (07-10-2009)
Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Donation Award 

Exclamation the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyflorida View Post
think about the young kids being preyed on daily.......That is what needs to be addressed.....
What do you think we( my boyfriend and I) were 13 years ago??..........young kids!! Old enough to go to prison; too young to know "the game". It really doesn't matter how old you are, you will become prey if you don't know the games preditory inmates play........just because someone is older doesn't make it any better...............andy
The Following User Says Thank You to retired-37 For This Useful Post:
keith.b (07-11-2009)
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM

that makes me sick what they did to him. my grandson is at bradshaw unit in texas and i worry myself to death about him all the time. that just about makes a family member have killing on their minds thinking about them sick son-of-a biiiiiiiiiii
doing something like that to another immate.
The Following User Says Thank You to cora lee For This Useful Post:
retired-37 (08-17-2009)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,322 Posts

Thats absolutely horrible wow people are sick

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life