Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Nevada DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Nevada Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Talking How much do things cost in prison?!! Please help

Hello,

I have a female penpal in a nevada prison and she asked me for a large amount of money to help her get something's but that is suspect to me, do anybody know how much things are in prison. She cliams that 10-20 dollars is not enough and does not last her. IF ANYBODY understands let me know
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Holding him down

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider9981 View Post
Hello,

I have a female penpal in a nevada prison and she asked me for a large amount of money to help her get something's but that is suspect to me, do anybody know how much things are in prison. She cliams that 10-20 dollars is not enough and does not last her. IF ANYBODY understands let me know
It depends on what she is trying to buy.

Last edited by Mrs.Official05; 06-11-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Smile

My sons been in HDSP for 2 years. I have a pretty good idea what things cost, as i make my son account for most of what I send him. Things in prison cost about the same or a bit more more then outside of prison. All basic needs are provided for inside and some people have nobody to send them money and they're fine. They do need money for stamps if writing letters. $20 won't go far, but I'd be a bit leary of anybody who complained about a penpal sending $20, I suggest you find a more grateful penpal.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Hello,

How long have you been pen pals and what type of relationship do you have? Would you GIVE the same amount of money to a relative, neighbor, or coworker no questions asked? Frankly, if you wouldn't give the same handout to a person with whom you have an established relationship, you need to think seriously about whether or not you want to hand off money to someone you may not have a familial or peer relationship with.

I do have a copy of the canteen sheet for HDSP somewhere around here. I'll see if I can find it. Then you could post the item (or PM me) and I'd give you the price.

Remember, however, that you are under no obligation to give a pen pal money.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 PM
STB-Mrs. Palomares

Quote:
Originally Posted by hediditall View Post
How long have you been pen pals and what type of relationship do you have? Would you GIVE the same amount of money to a relative, neighbor, or coworker no questions asked? Frankly, if you wouldn't give the same handout to a person with whom you have an established relationship, you need to think seriously about whether or not you want to hand off money to someone you may not have a familial or peer relationship with.

Remember, however, that you are under no obligation to give a pen pal money.
I completely agree It depends on what she is buying also. My friend's mom was going to get him a CD player. It cost about $80. Also, if she has restitution they may pull a % out as they do in CA. ($20=$9 after restitution is taken)
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM

I think the most expensive item is a TV and that is like $250. Basic necessities are just a little bit more than you would pay at a 7-Eleven. I agree with the previous post. If you didn't know her before she went in, then find a more grateful pen pal. Things are tough out here too.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:08 PM

I sent my HUSBAND $200 a month. That kept him flush with commissary.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Hello,

In FL they charge us $1 to process and if any money is left at a certain time they take a "maintenance fee" each month. Now with that said, they trade snacks and things to get (legal) things. My kid also pays extra to have his underwear bleached. Tennis shoes are $30. Then they place orders for winter clothes in the fall. You can by extra socks, ect. otherwise you have to keep washing stuff by hand. I do not know what happens in your state. I hope this helps. Ask her to get you a list of what she is buying so you can understand. Just tell her you really do not know how the system works. See my blog about FL corruption!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM

I send my loved one $200 per month and he does not go to chow at all but he has been down for a long time so he already has the real expensive stuff like TV, fan, radio, clippers, etc. $200 feeds him 100% and gives him extras.

If this is just a pen pal and not a long term love or anything like that and she is pushing for money like that I would move on. My man is grateful and does NOT ever ask for money...I send what I send because I want to, not because he asks. If he ever asked I would blast him for it.

Every inmate has what they "Need" all the extras are nice and make time easier but she should be very greatful for what you send however little or lot it is, period.

There are so many scams be careful. If you are having doubts that speaks volumes good luck.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 AM

I realize women do shop more but I only send boyfriend..babys daddy between 100 to 150 a month and he never complains and i believe the other time he was in his mom didn't have much money and barley sent him anything and he got by just fine...they get meals and a roof and a library everything else is just treats now i did or am getting him at tv and yes those are pricey but honestly 100 a month should be just fine for treats even like 20 a week i mean really she shouldn't need make up or shoes lol and you can only buy so much koolaid and poptarts lol