Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Ohio Prison Profiles Post information and profiles for Ohio prisons here!

Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM

Default What's a 'porter' job entail at CRC?

My man called yesterday and said that one of the CO's asked if he wanted to be a porter? What does this entail? He said it was kind of like being the CO's b*tch, and that he could then use the phone, etc when he wanted. I was wondering if anyone else's loved one has ever done this? He was supposed to call today between 1-3 and still hasn't called, and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm sure someone probably couldn't keep their mouth shut and they lost their rec time, but didn't know if this porter job had anything to do with it or not. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 AM
waiting for my heart

Porters do alots of things, clean showers, day rooms, the c/o area. Basecally anything that needs cleaning is done by a porter.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Default Porters in Prison

While I was incarcerated in california state prisons, I was a porter in our Dorm. While your husband states that he is now the "CO's Bitch", there are a lot of benefits in being a porter, a lot more free time (even if you are working, you're still not locked down as much) and CO's usually pass and stuff down to you that they usually wouldn't or can't. He probably couldn't call you for many reasons. Institutions get locked down all the time, from fighting to medical emergencies to other institutions near by locking down as well. They can go for months at a time. Don't worry about a few hours of not recieving a call.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Donation Award 

My son is also a porter over at BeCI, he says it just means you clean up the area whatever needs done you just do it. He said it wasn't bad at all, no one really bothers you if you keep your head on straight. It shows you are willing to do something, which is what rehabilitation is all about...do the right thing and no one looks at you differently because half the people are porters.

Good luck

Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoffeemom View Post
My son is also a porter over at BeCI, he says it just means you clean up the area whatever needs done you just do it. He said it wasn't bad at all, no one really bothers you if you keep your head on straight. It shows you are willing to do something, which is what rehabilitation is all about...do the right thing and no one looks at you differently because half the people are porters.

Good luck
My boyfriend was a porter for a while in the "hole" and did a lot of cleaning, delivering food trays, etc. He was busy all the time - It was good to pass the time, but he didn't write home as much because he was working all the time.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevebaby View Post
My man called yesterday and said that one of the CO's asked if he wanted to be a porter? What does this entail? He said it was kind of like being the CO's b*tch, and that he could then use the phone, etc when he wanted. I was wondering if anyone else's loved one has ever done this? He was supposed to call today between 1-3 and still hasn't called, and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm sure someone probably couldn't keep their mouth shut and they lost their rec time, but didn't know if this porter job had anything to do with it or not. Any info would be appreciated.

My fiance is in CRC as well, and is also a porter there. They do not receive any special privledges at all. The phone times on Sunday are between 8-10 am only. Sorry sweetie
Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM

You have to hold some type of job in order to receive your 17 or 18 bucks a month so porter is as good a job as any, plus it keeps a man busy. Busy-ness helps time pass and gets a person through the day. I hope he takes the job because he will be better off staying active and busy. God bless.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sweetswife For This Useful Post:
katydidit17 (10-17-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
My fiance was a porter at CRC for about 3 days. He and 2 other guys were responsible for buffing the floor for about 15 hrs a day. My fiance tried to break up the work so they could go in shifts and it didn't work. Overall it was a big waste of his time. Being a porter is like being a janitor. Just depends on what they are doing. CRC is just a sess pool of crap. If it gets him out of his cell he should do it, otherwise he spends 22 hrs in his cell.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient, love is kind, It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes always perseveres. Love never fails.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM

My boyfriend is in CRC and when he was a porter he called all day. I never knew when he was going to call. They do get perks. Im not sure if it depends where in CRC they are but mine wrote and called all the time. Sometimes back to back like 3 or 4 times.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
More Than Willing To Wait
Donation Award 

It can mean alot of different things. My fiance was a porter for the kitchen area he took trays up swept mopped and changed the trashbags. But a porter can work anywhere, laundry, kitchen, bathrooms ect.
Quote:

Doc may have the say so for now, but not forever! They CAN'T stop time from moving forward.

Life is like photography, we develop from the negative's.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM

My nephew just called and told me he is a porter.He is in Ohio. He is happy. His level from a 3B to a 1A so that alone is a plus. At least he gets out of his cell. It makes him feel better so I am happy! He has 5 yrs left. So, I told him dont even look crossed eye at anyone or do anything stupid to loose that job. :}
Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 PM

I just asked my husband and he said it was taking out the trash, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.