Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 PM

Question probation violation - bond question

hi, this is my first time posting, i wanted to see if anybody could tell me what the bond would be if my friend is on probation for his first time (he is 19) for dwi and he just got arrested for Possession of marijuana <2oz. I live in Texas, Tarrant county.

He has been on probation about a month and was arrested for the possession 2 weeks ago. He Reports on monday and i just wanted an estimate on how much his bond will be to get him back out.

thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Probation & Parole Office

Usually, the bond for a Probation Violation is $0. They don't allow bond based upon failure to comply with supervision and a greater chance of absconding.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."
The Following User Says Thank You to Igor Louis For This Useful Post:
Mark2008 (06-28-2009)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 PM

i was told with a lawyer you could get a bond set. any idea around what that bond would be?
what if you dont have a lawyer how would you end up getting out?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Probation & Parole Office

In most instances I've seen, barring the Judge opting to set bond, if it's a probation violation hold, lawyer or not, the bond will still be set at $0 and they will be in custody. He should check with his Officer for full specifics though.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 AM

I have had friends that caught new charges while out on bond awaiting trial for other charges and made bail. Ive had friends arrested on MTRs here in Texas and none of them were lucky enough to get a bond with or without a lawyer. They sat in county until their hearing and were either allowed to continue probation, sent to a "restitution camp" for not paying fees/retitution, did some time for the violation, or sent to TDC.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvega0117 View Post
hi, this is my first time posting, i wanted to see if anybody could tell me what the bond would be if my friend is on probation for his first time (he is 19) for dwi and he just got arrested for Possession of marijuana <2oz. I live in Texas, Tarrant county.

He has been on probation about a month and was arrested for the possession 2 weeks ago. He Reports on monday and i just wanted an estimate on how much his bond will be to get him back out.

thank you very much

Is he on felony or misdemeanor probation? Is he currently being held due to the possession charge or because of a probation violation? It's possible he'll receive a bond on the marijuana charge but if probation issued a warrant then even if he receives a bond on the drug charge he still won't be going anywhere -- the probation warrant will be NO bond and will trump everything else. He can ask the judge for a bond on the probation violation, but generally judges will hold offenders in custody until a revocation hearing is held. Your friend needs to address his addiction issues. Obviously standing before the judge and being placed on probation didn't leave a lasting impression if he was arrested a month later for possession. I'd recommend a residential treatment program. At 19 he has his whole life ahead of him and it's time to very serious, very quickly!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Thanked 1,688 Times in 845 Posts

Getting out on bond should be the least of his worries right now. Any time spent in custody will be credited toward whatever his final sentence might turn out to be.

So you said the guy caught a DWI, was given probation and then less than a month later, was arrested for marijuana possession. What kind of message does that send to the court? They gave him a second chance and less than a month later he catches a new case.

As Louis said, most judges won't allow bond on probation cases --- especially felonies --- because too many defendants would disappear. Can't blame either side. If I'm facing years in prison, chances are I wouldn't show up for court, either. On a misdemeanor probation, where the maximum time is less than a year, a judge might take a chance on bond. But what's the point? The guy is going to serve some time anyway, so at least get the clock started on whatever sentence he will eventually receive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark2008 For This Useful Post:
seekinginfo (08-20-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Unhappy

Quote:

thank you very much

I recently went through sort of the same thing....Mine was stopped while on probation-4 oz. He was sent to the county and then released on bond. Once he reported this to his PO, the PO made a report out and eventually he was sent back for a 18 month violation of probation. So I am thinking that there is actually no way to bond out of the probation only at the time of arrest. If like our situation, he will be sent back for violation of the probation
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Default I see it coming........

Quote:

thank you very much
Ya know, I'm the mother of a son that started at a young age to make bad decisions. Both times getting probation. Thinking, oh I don't know.... if that's all it is, I can handle that>>>>>> DuH!!!!!!!!!!

The third time........, well, he was allowed to self-surrender, and I had the unpleasant task of taking and LEAVING my son at a prison for 3yrs.

Hearing storing like this young man's really makes me angry!
What an inconsiderate thing to do!!!!!!!!! Cause let me tell you, the family does more time than the kid does! I'M the one that had to send him money every month, NO ONE ELSE! His so called friends that he had ran with and done things with....disappeared. Imagine that.

I was the one it hurt. He is back now and is doing remarkably well. I am very proud of him for that. Very.

However........I have made it perfectly clear to him that I have spent my last dime on him, for that and anything to do with that. No more. Period. And thinking back, if I'd let my son sit his ass in jail the FIRST time INSTEAD of always bailing him out instead of making him suffer the consequences and NOT ME, more than likely he never would have gone to prison. In fact I know that because he told me. He told me that looking back he wished I'd have let him sit there in jail, I should not have paid his probation fees for him so he wouldn't get in trouble, everything.

Hind sight. If you're smart you'll let him sit and pay the piper. He'll live and guess what, you might even save him from doing it a 2nd or 3rd time.
The Following User Says Thank You to gayler For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (07-25-2009)