Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > VA DOC - What You Need to Know > Virginia Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Virginia Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Virginia prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific Virginia facility, please visit that facility's region (Eastern, Western, Central) in the Virginia forum.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Default Prepaid Account so He can call my Cell phone?

I am sorry if this has already been answered in another thread but I am not used to a forum type setup and this is all confusing to me as well as time consuming when looking thru all these threads.

But I don't have a house phone. I just have a cell phone. We had a pre pay account set up through Correctional Billing Services when he was at Va Beach Jail and he was able to call my cell phone. He is at Mecklenburg now and was able to get through to my mothers house but when he tried my cell it was blocked. I am not always over at my mom's.

So does anyone know if I can set an account to allow calls to my cell phone?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,167 Posts

Nope you can't use a cell. Some regional jails will allow it since most of their people are local and they don't get a lot of money from the phones. However, DOC has set up strict rules "for security" and you can't use a cell, or forward, or do three-way calls. They force you to use a land line that matches with the area you live in. Now the land line can be a cable phone, but the phone number cannot be local to the prison and must be from your area.

I suggest you find the cheapest land line you can find and set it up just so he can call you.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwfighterva For This Useful Post:
Jban62480 (05-01-2009)
Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 AM

I know at arlington county jail I set up for Joe to call my cell phone I got with the area code where he was and that company was icsolutions it was pre paid and cell phones allowed...got to their site and see if the jail is or where ever is listed...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 PM
with love to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jban62480 View Post
I am sorry if this has already been answered in another thread but I am not used to a forum type setup and this is all confusing to me as well as time consuming when looking thru all these threads.

But I don't have a house phone. I just have a cell phone. We had a pre pay account set up through Correctional Billing Services when he was at Va Beach Jail and he was able to call my cell phone. He is at Mecklenburg now and was able to get through to my mothers house but when he tried my cell it was blocked. I am not always over at my mom's.

So does anyone know if I can set an account to allow calls to my cell phone?

Thanks in advance!

Can you possibly set up an additional line at your mom's then you can forward that # to your cell phone. You are not suppose to, but I do when I travel for work and knock wood (knocking hard) we have not had a problem and hope we will not, gosh for what I pay to talk to him they should be grateful I do that I am cartainly helping GTL bottom line and in that case DOC as well.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 PM

Well actually right after I made that post I ended up calling the AdvancePay hotline for Global Tel Link and I was able to set up an Advance Pay accout that will allow him to call my cell phone. The lady on that end asked where he was at and when I said Mecklenburg she said yes it does allow calls to cell phones with an Advance Pay account set up to the cell phone number. But thank you for the thoughts You and everyone that replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue21 View Post
Can you possibly set up an additional line at your mom's then you can forward that # to your cell phone. You are not suppose to, but I do when I travel for work and knock wood (knocking hard) we have not had a problem and hope we will not, gosh for what I pay to talk to him they should be grateful I do that I am cartainly helping GTL bottom line and in that case DOC as well.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 AM

warning !!!!!! sorry but I dont think the lady at GTL understood that you are VA DOC. Va DOC facilitie prohibits the use of cell phones for calls If your guy gets caught calling a cell phone he can get a charge I believe that you reached the wrong department in GTL advance pay is a county jail department your money will just sit there in the wrong account. I do not think you will get a call this way. you need to get to the pre pay department for doc calls.

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.