Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Discovery packet

My man has asked me to see if I can get his discovery packet. He was sentenced almost 10ys ago. He is wanting to get tings ready to try to file to finish his sentence in a half way house. He said he lost his packet and his lawyer "threw" his copy away. Does not sound right but you never know with lawyers. Anyway, this lawyer has since retired and family has no idea where he is. Is there anyway I can get it or will it involve hiring another lawyer?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Depends on if it was a private attorney or public defender? If it was a public defender...you can get the records. You need to write the public defender's office that the attorney worked out of...if he was strictly a private attorney...you may want to contact the bar association. They can point you in the right directions... You can also get a Verbatim copy of his transcripts from the clerk of court where he was tried...the verbatim transcripts have everything that was said or done at the trail/plea but it will cost you a fee...but will be worth getting. If you are not married to him/don't have power of attorney over his info then he will have to request it. Get the address and send it to him so he can request it from them. Good luck to you!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks I will try to find that information out.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,228 Times in 834 Posts

I'm assuming this was a felony case... If so, call the Superior Court Clerk's office in the county where he was sentenced. They should have all of the records on file. Here in GA, most of the courts have gone to electronic systems... You just go down and tell them you're looking for records on a criminal proceeding... You get on the computer and use his name or case number and it'll pull up EVERYTHING in his file... right down to motions and filings.... It's a little hard to decipher the meanings of some of the lingo, but the clerks are usually more than willing to help...

But like the above said also, if it was a public defender, contact their office... Even if his attorney is no longer there, they still would have his case....

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks guys. I am just a little confused though. I have asked around and here I was told to contact the Superior Court Clerk's office and some one else said just clerk of courts in the county he was sentenced in. I called the Clerk of Courts and they said to call the Court Recorder. They said for me to contact the Clerk of COurts. Why do I feel like I am getting the run around. I live 2 hrs away from where he was sentenced and can't afford to just take off and go up there. Why can they not make this easy for us lol. But anyway what is the difference between the Superior and regular Clerk of Courts?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Superior court is where they hold the higher, felony type charges, murders, violent crimes, big drug offenses. District court is smaller crimes, traffic, domestic, the list goes on and on. So you need to find out if your man was tried in superior or district court. That will determine which clerk of court you need to get the info from. If he was tried in district then it would be the regular clerk of court...if it was superior court then you need to get the packet from the superior clerk of court. Good luck!