Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Which is worse, county jail or prison?

Just want to know what place is worse? Prison or County Jail?

Everyone keeps telloing my love one that Prison is better than County but from what I've read...It seems like Prison is more strict and you have more rules.

And during reception you are housed with all sorts of offenders...violent and non violent ones.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
kimberly

my brother and nephew both say they are happier in prison verse the county jail
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 PM
He's home!

Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,082 Posts

G says that prison is better because there is more to do. He can get outside. Take classes. Work. Etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,607 Posts

For Michael, there were up sides and down sides to each. I was just talking about this with our son yesterday as we drove by the county prison where he used to be. And right now, at this moment, the only bad thing I can say about when he was in the county was the visits. 1/2 Hour long, behind glass, once a week.
When he was in the county, we talked all the time on the phone, our mail NEVER got messed up. He was not constantly bothered by the CO's. Yeah certain ones were a pain in the ass, but for the most part, it was decent. Michael had it good in the county, now, he is always under so much stress and constantly looking over his shoulder and biting his tongue. He is always in a bad mood. It was just easier when he was in the county. Now I know not all county prisons are as corrupt and easy as ours, but I just wish at times he were still right up the road. State sucks a$$ big time.
One other thing, if he got county time, he would have been home by now. His case could have stayed county, but instead of wording the time as 12 months to 24 months, the judge worded it 1 to 2 years. Once he said years, that makes it state time. He could have served his sentence in the county prison, honestly, there is no reason why he couldn't, but the judge had other plans for him. It is a heck of a lot easier to get probation/parole from a county prison than it is to get paroled by the state.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Last edited by xgot420issuesx; 04-08-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM

My man's still in reception, and apparently it's better once you get out of reception, but he says it's better than county. They don't have to wear the orange jumpsuits, they can smoke, they can go outside, the visits are longer (6 hours any day of the week, no limit on visits, instead of 2 1-hour visits a week) and we can hold hands during visits (at county we could hug/kiss at the beginning and end but not touch each other during), plus he will be able to take classes and stuff later on.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
with u is where i rater b

From what my man tells me and what i have seen....
prison is definately better than county... county is more restricted as to visiting and packeges and all that stuff .... and plus ur man could get shipped out anyday so no sence in him trying to get "used to the enviornment" there ...... in prison the atmosphere is more relaxed people are there to do there time and leave ... the visits are like 6 hrs long (compared to only 1 hr at county) .. you can send your man outside food .. and plus they have more to do such as school and programs to make the time go by

Ever since you went away i been missin u EVERYDAY
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgot420issuesx View Post
For Michael, there were up sides and down sides to each. I was just talking about this with our son yesterday as we drove by the county prison where he used to be. And right now, at this moment, the only bad thing I can say about when he was in the county was the visits. 1/2 Hour long, behind glass, once a week.
When he was in the county, we talked all the time on the phone, our mail NEVER got messed up. He was not constantly bothered by the CO's. Yeah certain ones were a pain in the ass, but for the most part, it was decent. Michael had it good in the county, now, he is always under so much stress and constantly looking over his shoulder and biting his tongue. He is always in a bad mood. It was just easier when he was in the county. Now I know not all county prisons are as corrupt and easy as ours, but I just wish at times he were still right up the road. State sucks a$$ big time.
One other thing, if he got county time, he would have been home by now. His case could have stayed county, but instead of wording the time as 12 months to 24 months, the judge worded it 1 to 2 years. Once he said years, that makes it state time. He could have served his sentence in the county prison, honestly, there is no reason why he couldn't, but the judge had other plans for him. It is a heck of a lot easier to get probation/parole from a county prison than it is to get paroled by the state.
I agree with you...your situation sounds so much like mines. The judge said years instead of county which I think he could have served there. But now he's going to prison. He is a trustee at county and he has it pretty easy and he don't get in trouble at all. I can visit him cuz he's only 5 mins away and talk to him on the phone all the time and write hime...

Once he goes to Prison..I will not be able to visit as often and our calls will be limited.

And Prison will be hard since he has never been there before...I just hope he is safe.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 PM

My hubby said that prison is so much better then county... he was in county last week for court and he actually told me "i cant wait to get back to b-ville its so much better then county."

Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
He's home!

Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,082 Posts

Oh! I forgot the best part! CONTACT VISITS!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Speaking for myself, County was better, because, of course, it only took me 10 minutes to drive there and visit versus the 4 hours to prison. Plus, the security, if that is the right word, of knowing he was close by. Now, as for the inside, they may have more rules in prison, but I think they have more things to do there, like taking classes, getting out to work, etc. Really, it is better for them to just be home, period.....
Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Loving My Papi Chulo

My boyfriend told me that in the county jails they tend to f**k with you more because they know your waiting your sentence and if you f**k up it can be worse for you. In the state prisons they(meaning c/o's) dont f**k with you because they know you are already doing your time and are just trying to finish your time and go home.

Last edited by Keltria; 05-06-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Old 04-08-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanked 1,970 Times in 898 Posts

My baby say prison is much better then county for a few reasons. He said in county there are a bunch of youg boys thinking they are hard trying to cause problems. But in prison he said mostly it's just ppl trying to do their time and get home. He also said in prison you can do more, and get more...

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM

My man says prison is better because the passes faster and there are more things to do. We also get contact visits, and we didn't get those in county.

He actually asked the judge to have him serve his time in prison.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Lemon's #1

I was always told that prison was better because they get more freedom and the commisary is better.

Our little bundle of joy!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM

any prison is better than L.A. County jail its a gang war zone, and the L.A. County sheriff who run it are just as bad. it is also sooooo overcrowded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivecnub4 For This Useful Post:
Juansgirl92 (02-07-2011), MrsCetina (05-04-2012)
Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 AM

County sucks, my baby couldn't wait to get to the prison. County had 23 hour lockdown, never allowed outside, no cigarettes, they couldn't do or get really anything.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM

In PA, my man has said the county jail system is disorderly and has more instability than the state facilities.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:10 AM

Thanked 1,688 Times in 845 Posts

As a former inmate, I much preferred state prison to county jails. Reasons:

1) More freedom of movement, more activities.

2) Better food, better recreation.

3) Classification was better, was housed with people more like myself.

4) Could buy/receive more items via commissary/mail.

County jails are designed for short-term sentences and pre-trial detainees. They were not intended to be places for people to live long-term. State prisons are designed for extended stays. I'd rather do a year at state than six months in county.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM

My boyfriend hates being in the county. When he was in the county he kept saying "Damn, I can't wait to go to prison" (which isn't something you hear very often!) & I remember thinking that it must be pretty bad in the county if he is actually hoping to go to prison.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I have heard that prison is better then the county. Most people I have dealt with, including my Angel can't wait to get to prison. They say that you get more freedoms so to speak.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 PM
SURVIVOR!!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,419 Times in 703 Posts

I liked county because I got to see him three times a week but it was behind glass and phone calls were cheap and he was just right down the road. I was devastated when they shipped him.
But he likes prison so much better. And we get contact visits and all. He is at a really nasty prison he says its an undercover medium camp. But he is just keeping to himself and trying to make the best out of a bad situation till he can come home.
Lisa
Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 PM
The 1 he cant ever let go

My man says prison is better. He can go outside, the food is a little better, the visits are WAY better, although he still has to watch his back in case someone is having a bad day. But there are still people that talk sh*t to him all the time but thankfully he ignores it just b/c of me & the girls. Hes trying his best to stay out of trouble (well except for getting tats,but he "knows" he wotn get in trouble) There are ups & downs to both but overall I think he likes prison better.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM

From what he has said prison is much better than county and for some of the same reasons that was listed. And i know the question is not asking what i think and this is just from an outsider because i have never been in either bu for the visits priosn is better because at least you have a few hours in county you have 15-30 minutes. I traveled 3 hrs for 30 minutes. The calls in prison are also not as expensive as county.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Nluv4alltime

My man would rather be 'behind the fence' in a prison than in county jail....

Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 AM
muyas wife

Default prison

prison is a lot better than county by far

my soulmate is now home!!