Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts
Question Consider the Source-What does that mean?

Well I have been back for about a week now and my first trip was Eye opening to say the least.
I almost did not make it due to passport issues and then when I got there my trip was cut short. I was met with much opposition (most of it from my own so called American Team mates-figures). I am just one of those types that believes morale boosting strategies should be placed higher on the list than goal deadlines. If the crew feels good then they do good work. Instead of cracking the whip and getting a sloppy job done fast! So I am once again taking time out to evaluate whether money means more than mental sanity!
Anywho as I was leaving one of the Korean team members said to me at the airport “Don’t let this change who you are-Consider the Source It was funny coming from him because I’ve been hearing this statement a lot lately State-side but to hear it over the Pond was different. I should know by now with the connected Universe (internet) Cliches travel all over the World.
But the thing with cliché’s is that the saying can mean one thing to one person and something totally different to the next person. So what I want to ask is what really is the meaning behind the saying “Consider the Source”?
I have a few ideas but was wondering if anyone else can offer their objective view on it? And not just in my situation but over all.
Thanks so much-it’s been keeping me up at night!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,029 Posts

To me, consider the source means think about where the information is coming from (whether that be a person, the media, the gov't) and take into account the bias that the source my have.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Some people are idiots. Others see that and recognize that. I have a "friend" that is the most negative person on the planet....she can't be happy about anything so she tries to bring everyone down with her. When she starts with her ranting and raving, especially when she has one of those "I told you so" moments if something bad is happening in someone elses life and it hurts that other person to hear her comments - I will say consider the source.

She is just a negative nelly who wants everyone to feel like she does. Maybe that person recognized your leadership qualities and caring for the person over the "bottom line" and realizes that your teammates are not interested in that - so I think you got a really good compliment. Personally I think you made a greater impression on that person than your coworkers did and he doesn't want you to change your ideals and beliefs just because they don't conform with the others.

He's home
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Someone For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Cool

to me consider the source means consider the person who said it. often times i think it's meant as a negative thing, like implying the source is a trouble maker, liar, gossip. never would i take it to mean anything good!!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM

ditto
like if a person is passing along something another person said, they're saying, but look at this person who said it and don't give it much regard
The Following User Says Thank You to tweedybird For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

"Consider the source" to me, means that you should weigh any information that you recieve from a certain person or place because they have been wrong before and cant be believed, meaning they lack credibility. I believe that peoples reputation proceeds them, whether it be good or bad.
donutandpickle (04-08-2009), Wobabi (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyChampion View Post
"Consider the source" to me, means that you should weigh any information that you recieve from a certain person or place because they have been wrong before and cant be believed, meaning they lack credibility. I believe that peoples reputation proceeds them, whether it be good or bad.
I agree but I think we should always consider the source regardless- because when you are just hearing something or watching it on tv or reading it that doesnt mean its accurate...

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canthelpbutwait For This Useful Post:
LadyChampion (04-08-2009), Wobabi (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM

To me it has always been a saying used to remove some of the weight (or credibility) from a statement. Mostly a negative statement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deenah For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (04-08-2009)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM

If you have to consider the source, then I wouldn't listen to anything they had to say....
canthelpbutwait (04-08-2009), faith1026 (04-08-2009), LadyChampion (04-08-2009), Wobabi (04-08-2009)
Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,167 Posts

Look at where the information is coming from and how credible is it? Negative or positive; do they have a personal gain for their stand or opinion? If a source is not credible with me one time, then all other information from that source is suspect.

I think this cliche is mostly said to mean "don't take what they say as truth since they have no intelligence". But I take it in all aspects, before I believe what is said, I do look at the source from all angles and decide if I believe it or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwfighterva For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (04-09-2009)