Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Kentucky DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Kentucky Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Question County Jails vs State w/SAP program?

A friend of mine is in Kenton County jail which is severly overcrowded. They came to him this morning and told him since he's a level D that he can serve his time there - or ship out, his choice. He said "ship me out!". He called me to ask if I'd call Boone County to see if he can go there. Boone County told me she doesn't know, that the "coordinator" would have to work it out. But my friend was accepted into the SAP program and she said they don't have SAP there.
My question: Would he be better off to serve his time in a county jail where he could possibly do a work program or go to one of the state prisons that have the SAP program? Of course he's wanting to get out earlier vs. later so where would he stand the better chance of getting out? (Note; his crime was selling a pill to undercover cop). What are your opinions? He seems to think he can pick where to go and I doubt that is the case! I'm new to this and he's new to the KY jail system so appreciate any help we can get.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 AM
KY, IN, GA Moderator on Leave

just because they take the SAP does not mean they will get out earlier. i am sorry to say but i just thought you might want that up front. i wish i had good news in that part that they could just go home after finishing that program. SAP is good teachs them good things but it is also a very tough program. good luck to him with it. i do hear that the program is good to take at the RCC which is the fish tank or rotary correctional facility. fingers crossed that is goes the way he wishes. good luck to you both

Chainsaw is HOME as of 3:15 am on March 30, 2007.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Down to Ride
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,844 Times in 2,448 Posts

[quote=rosedealer;4561493]just because they take the SAP does not mean they will get out earlier. i am sorry to say but i just thought you might want that up front.

I am glad that I aint the only one who KNOWS this to be 100% true. Everybody has this misconception that if they do this program they will get out quick. My husband has been thru SAP two or three times.

FALSE, no, he cant pick where he wants to go. Would be great if he could, because trust me I am sure we would all have our loved ones as close to us as possible.

Depending on the amount of time he got, to whether he should do county vs. state time. If he has a stretch of time to do, I would personally rather be in prison. You get more freedom that way. If he is a Class D with short time, its likely they might classify him at RCC and put him anywhere. Class D's can go to any county jail just about in KY and that is a gamble.

You just cant call any jail and they will up and transfer him. If he does go to a prison he will have to stay there at least 6 months with clear conduct before he can request a transfer. When that happens he has to chose 3 choices and it can be their pick of one of the three or NONE of the three, whatever they chose.

Welcome to DOC hell.....

Its hurting you, but its killing me.....

Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM

It doesn't matter where he goes all of the jails are overcrowded. If you are going to be apart of his support system then you need to look at the cost effectiveness of the whole thing. Since you cant pick which jail you can go to you need to think about all of these things: 1 Travel for visits. With the gas being how it is that can determine how many times you will get to see him for that month. 2 The phone calls. Right now your phone calls are local around 2 dollars or so but depending upon where he goes they can be as high as 10 dollars. 3 As far as a work program. There is usually a wait for the really good ones. Put it this way the kentucky system doesn't make it easy for you to be that support for your love one, so my advice is to write down the positives and the negatives and see which one wins.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Closer To Knott County

My husband is pretty much in the same situation. He is in Blackburn, and would like to be shipped closer to home. If you have any places that have SAP closer to Knott County please reply. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,375 Times in 9,203 Posts

There is a new program being initiated in several Eastern Ky counties (jails) called Westcare. It has recently received funding for more counties...what the parole rates are, I really don't know. Its too new, but getting lots of attention. Also, as for prisons, Little Sandy has a program called AODA (Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse) and EKCC has ACTS ( Alcohol/Chemical Treatment Series). There are other prisons with the SAP program, but none that I've found (tonight) that are very close to you. Then again, its past my bedtime .....One word of caution, My Mr. says that jail is so much more worse than prison. I've heard that from others too--jail is much more restrictive.

Here is the newest press release on Westcare: http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/43128872.html

Best wishes to You and Yours.....