Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California: County & City Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California: County & City Jail Discussions Topics & Discussions relating to County & City Jails in California.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Twin Towers Help and Release Date

Hey Everyone, this site is great and extremely helpful. My fiance was sentenced to 365 days for Grand Theft (which he didn't even do) and has been in IRC for 5 days and I finally just heard from him today that he got moved to TTCF Tower 1. He said they haven't talked to him about release date, or anything like that but before all this happened the DA had assured him that if he did go away it wouldn't be for very long because of the severe overcrowding in LA County. The LASD site says projected release date of Nover 10, 2009... ugh. He has not served any time at state, he did 18 days for federal but was found not guilty on that. So I'm just wondering if he will be closer to the 10% of the 365 or any experience with that. Also to visit I'm assuming everything is labeled down there and its easy to figure out where to go, etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 03:28 PM

As far as I've been able to find out, unless it's domestic violence or gang related, guys are now doing 70% minus good time and minus 14 days.

Things aren't well labled for visiting, but there's usually lots of people around who will help you figure your way around.
The Following User Says Thank You to grayworldangel For This Useful Post:
Mvarm8 (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM

Default Actual time in LA County

According to the Sheriff's Department, in 2006 they "toughened" the early release guidelines to require non-violent offenders to serve at least 25% of their sentences (http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/archive/2006/110906a.htm).

In 2007, I know of a 365-day drug possession sentence that was served by 34 actual days (less than 10%), and in 2008 a 50-day sentence served by 7 days actual time (14%).

Also (as I recently posted), any 30-day sentences in LA County are deemed to be served immediately, with release normally within a few hours (at least if you're Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Ritchie, or Khloe Kardashian).

Perhaps others could post their recent experiences in LA County with actual time served vs. the sentenced imposed.

South Bay

Last edited by South Bay; 03-25-2009 at 08:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to South Bay For This Useful Post:
Mvarm8 (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 PM

My friends brother did 15 days from a 60 day sentence in la county.When my husband was in twin towers, visiting was a head ache.Be prepared to wait and wait. My mind just went blank and I dont remember what # tower he was in. There is one across from the parking structure and one down a ways after IRC. Dont get there to late because if the floor fills up for the day then u dont get a visit. That happened 2 me the first time I went.
The Following User Says Thank You to MitosWifee! For This Useful Post:
Mvarm8 (03-25-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 PM

I've just found out that LA doesn't give the "14 day kick" anymore. It's a straight 70% (minus good time).
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM

Well, it seems that your loved one is doing the same as mine.. My husband took a no contest "deal" and was sentenced for 365 days for grand theft (he didnt do)

He is in jail since November 21st and has been told many fairytale stories about the 10-25% by inmates and officers.

Well nothing is true about that! Sorry to tell you, but he will have to do the 70% in county jail even though they are highly overcrowded.

My husband got an ERD of July 15th and to protect me, my kids and my husband we will just wait for that date.. any day sooner will be a blessing. We ARE hoping for an earlier release because of good behave and work.

I really hope for better news to give you soon, but dont let them fool you or your husband with all these stories about less time. It will devastate you guys every time it seems to be not true.

Try to let him behave and cooperate and he has the chance to become a trustee and work for distraction. Its a lot better there than in the regular cells.

Not so patiently waiting...

Last edited by DyMa; 04-01-2009 at 03:08 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Nite Owls Wife

Does anyone know if you can get married while being in twin towers? Any info that anyone can offer would be great....I posted up a message in the county jaily topics as well but it don't seem like that gets much traffic so I wanted to post here too....anyones help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

hmm my fiance was given 130days starting april 1st if his release date is correct he will only be serving 60% of the time... when he was sentenced all the sheriffs told me that he would only serve 10% of the time well that came and went almost two weeks ago... when i went to see him this past weekend i asked the sheriffs again and they said that during the summer they get realease sooner cause more crime happens or sumthing and they dont have room so they let miner offenses out sooner... idk...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Bunnie,

i wouldnt trust the sheriffs too much, they dont have a clue about these things.. they just try to keep every one happy and dont want the fights. they do tell a lot of happy stuff to inmates and loved ones to keep stress, fighting etc low so their work is easier to do.

The whole thing about summer is just one of these things that is total BS. They told us and many other the same thing in December with christmas etc, people would commit more crime to have more money with the hollidays etc etc..

The 10% - 35% is not something you would want to hold your breath for.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM

I think this is good advice...I'd rather be happy to have my husband home sooner than I predict than to have the 10%, 20% predictions pass and be disappointed a bunch of times.

Would everyone agree that for a non-violent non-gang offense (drug possession) where he got sentenced to 120 days that expecting around 70% of that (84 days) would be a good ballpark? I know it might be less but I'd rather not think that way and be let down.

I don't think there are many instances where people get told 120 days and literally are in for 100+ days - right? (or are there people who go in to County for possession and are there for 90-100% of their sentence?)
Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halebop View Post
I think this is good advice...I'd rather be happy to have my husband home sooner than I predict than to have the 10%, 20% predictions pass and be disappointed a bunch of times.

Would everyone agree that for a non-violent non-gang offense (drug possession) where he got sentenced to 120 days that expecting around 70% of that (84 days) would be a good ballpark? I know it might be less but I'd rather not think that way and be let down.

I don't think there are many instances where people get told 120 days and literally are in for 100+ days - right? (or are there people who go in to County for possession and are there for 90-100% of their sentence?)
I think you are safe enough to think that. I cant imagine him doing longer than the 70% especially with the non violant non gang offense.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Default Confused

Ok... I really need help understanding this projected release date stuff. On Wednesday my boyfriend was sentenced to 365 days in the county jail and 120 days in a recovery program. At the time of sentencing he had been in jail for 124 actual days so the judge granted him 186 days credit for good time/work time. So here is where I am confused... his projected release date isn't until the end of August. Why is that? Even if he does 70% of 365 days he should be out long before that. Right??? 70% of 365 would be 255 days and that would be in June.

Confused and not waiting so patiently...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM

It depends.... Domestic violence and gang convictions serve the whole time. Everybody else is supposedly doing 70% of sentenced time minus good time credit. Judges know that, so some of them are going around the sheriff's early release by not "sentencing" people--they set a future court date, which just happens to be at the end of what the sentence would be, to "review" the case and determine sentencing. At that court date, they sentence as 'time served' and release the poor guy who was just shafted by the judge.
The Following User Says Thank You to grayworldangel For This Useful Post:
South Bay (05-14-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Please post the outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by halebop View Post

Whatever time he does finally serve, please post and let us all know the actual days served on the original 180 day sentence (which of course is 120 days with good time/work time). If it's 84 days (or close to that figure), that will then help validate the current theory that regular defendants are serving about 70% of their good time sentence.

South Bay
Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM

my baby was sentenced to 130 days on domenstic violence... his expected release date was june 18th but they released him on mothers day... he of course got picked up by ice afterwards but i guess u can say he served less then 50% of the actual time...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnieRR View Post
my baby was sentenced to 130 days on domenstic violence... his expected release date was june 18th but they released him on mothers day... he of course got picked up by ice afterwards but i guess u can say he served less then 50% of the actual time...
Did he or you know in advance that the expected release date had moved from 6/18 to 5/10?

This is selfish of me...but I swear, I feel like I wish the day he has to surrender himself would hurry up and get here so he could start his 120 days in county and get it over with.

I wish he hadn't asked the judge to give him until mid-June and had just gotten it over with (again, I know that's selfish b/c it's about what I want and he's the one serving the time)

I'll definitely let people know the outcome once he's in and how many days 120 turns out to actually be.

I'm very curious to know if they could move up his projected release date (once he has one!) and one day without my knowing he could just be sitting there when I get home from work when I though he had another 60 days (or however many) left to go.

Anyone heard anything new or different about the 70% thing and if it's been holding true?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:26 PM

by the way...unlike a lot of loved ones here, i'm actually not hoping he gets out really fast. i'm hoping (even though time has taught me NOT to hope) that the longer he's in jail and not using...the better his chances are to be sober when he gets out. it isn't likely, but i figure it's more likely if he's gone 90 days than if he's only gone 20.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 AM

no he had no clue... i went to go see him that day spent about two hours with him [[happy mothers day to me!!]] went to see my family and about two hours later got a call from him that he was being released from county... it was totally unexpected
Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Default release

Just thought I'd post this for info. My guy was given 180 days, projected release date is 5/21/09, which is 113 days (or about 63%). Although we too had hoped for early release due to overcrowding, this has not been the case. Luckily for us, the 21st is coming up soon.

Hope this helps, good luck to all.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdolan For This Useful Post:
halebop (05-15-2009)
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolan View Post
Just thought I'd post this for info. My guy was given 180 days, projected release date is 5/21/09, which is 113 days (or about 63%). Although we too had hoped for early release due to overcrowding, this has not been the case. Luckily for us, the 21st is coming up soon.

Hope this helps, good luck to all.
THANK you so much for sharing this. It's exactly the sort of thing I'm always wondering about / looking for others recent experience wtih.

If it isn't too personal...can I ask if his charge was anything violent or if there are any gang ties (we keep hearing you won't get out early if it's a violent offense or if you're in a gang - mine is going for drug possession and not following thru with prop 36)

Hope the 21st gets here soon for both of you!!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 PM

mine was in for what is considered a violent crime... they said you dont qualify for early release if its violent but he was released way before the 130 days and a month before the expected release date.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 AM

Default early release

He was in on an old DUI, that he never finished his classes for. Got picked up on a warrant that was over 8 years old. No violence or gang affiliations. Was actually a misdemeanor violation, but the judge said he'd had plently of time to take care of it, so gave him 180 days. Pitchess South has been on lockdown the last few days, but hopefully by the 21st, which is his release date, they will have lifted it. Does anyone know if they will still release him on his projected release date, if the compound is under lockdown?