Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TX State Jails, Private Prisons, Treatment & Parole Facilities Forums > Gist State Jail - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 PM

Question Larry Gist Unit

I know I am lame for asking this but if you are familiar with the whole visitation thing help me. I have a boyfriend in the Gist Unit. I want to surprise visit him, even if it is not contact because seeing someone face to face and hearing my voice will definetly put a smile on his face. I need the 4-1-1 because I live in Austin and would hate to drive down there for nothing. He has been in tdcj care since December 19th...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Letter writing fool!

Its a fairly easy run from Austin, just long. Call the unit first and make sure that you are on the list. Then call the day of your visit (before you leave) to make sure that he can have a visit (nobody has already seen him, hasn't gotten in trouble, etc). Then its just the regular visitation stuff. We only got the hood and trunk inspection at Gist, walked through the metal detectors (this was before the patdowns, be prepared for that, its not that bad) You wait until they let you into the regular visitation room, they will tell you what number he will be at. You go get the stuff from the vending machines and empty them into the bags that the guards have and they will give him the food. Ask to make sure how many times you can go to the vending machines, it can vary. Those two hours fly by and then its on back to Austin.

For real this time, no take backs.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Thank you very much. I don't know if I am on it as he asked for my address and all my numbers for parole like in January. If I leave ona saturday, I wont be able to leave out of austin until 10 am. Is that bad? I work federal and can't take off easily.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Letter writing fool!

Its about 4 hours there. So thats not too bad, if you leave at 10 you would get there around 2, have your 2 hours and then go home. Get home about 9 ish. That is what I time I usually left because sometimes if you get into the actual visit about 2:15-2:30 sometimes you could get some extra time (haha so sneaky) I didn't drive home though, I have friends and family in Houston and I would spend the night. 8 hours in a car is hard, especially after you visit. I am always somewhat drained and bummed when I leave, not that the visit was bad but because I hated to leave him there.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Letter writing fool!

Depending on where you are in Austin you might also qualify for special visits. Google the address and see what the mileage is. Over 300 and you are in like Flynn.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikocat View Post
Depending on where you are in Austin you might also qualify for special visits. Google the address and see what the mileage is. Over 300 and you are in like Flynn.
Well on my driving liscense it has a Cedar Park address( my mom's) which is a suburb to the northwest of austin. Is that going to be a problem?

Trip distance: 275.82443.9 mi Time: 4 hrs 35 mins I failed by 25 miles...

If I call tommoro and I am not on his list, is it possible I can see him Saturday or Sunday?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Letter writing fool!

I live off Spicewood Springs Road,I know exactly where Cedar Park is. If you are not on his list then you almost will definitely not be able to see him this weekend. But he will probably have put you on his list as a "just in case" since he will be paroling out to you. You also need to make sure that the address he has listed for you is the same on your driver's license. Other than living in Wilco, having a Cedar Park address isn't all bad (hehe)