Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Default HELP!! Disabled son is in a level four and can't defend himself!

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted. Things have gone from bad to worse. Anyone who read my last post know I have three sons in and life sucks, but what has me terrified now is that my youngest son has been snt to a level 4 max prison and he only has one arm. The alls I have gotten from him in the last two weeks is absolutely terrifying. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Missouri prisons or not but because of funding they are moving everyone around. My son is not a violent offender. He had a devastating car wreck which is what left him handicapped, and they charged him with assault upon himself. What?? Anyway he is in a max four and has been for two weeks. He has been in four fights over money and accosted in his cell over sex, which he did not tell me the outcome. I have to help him. PLEASE does anyone know of a advocacy group I can contact. He will not survive if he can not defend himslf. I told him to talk to the warden or his counselor or something, and he said the only thing that will get him is solatary and that is like a dungeon. He was at an evaluation center for 6 weeks. I don't understand why his disability was not A FACTOR IN WHERE to send him. I am so lost and so afraid. Please if anyone knows how to help me. Last I talked to him tonight he said he was going to try to escape, that if they shot him it would at least be over. Please help me find out how to help him!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dntsmom For This Useful Post:
wickit (03-11-2009), worriedmama (03-23-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
faith, hope and love

Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,317 Posts

OMG, I don't know what to tell you. I can remember you coming here. I went to your profile and saw the pictures. And it helped me to remember your situation. There is the ACLU and I know there are some human rights groups. I would call the prison and talk to the chaplain, the counselor, someone and let them know what is going on with your son. How could they charge him with assault upon himself? That does not make sense.
I am sure others that know more than I will be along with some advice. In the meantime, just try to calm down and relax and call the prison first thing to see if you can get something done. He needs to be moved and I do not understand why his lawyer or pd did not take care of that for your son, considering his disability. The system can be so heartless. I will keep him in my prayers!!

"THOSE WHO DESERVE LOVE LEAST NEED IT THE MOST"
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM

dntsmom,
I know you are worried to death about this. I wish I knew something to help you. My son had a cellmate who was dangerous & he tried to get moved. No one would believe him when he told them the things cellmate was doing. I called counsilor, warden. Never got the warden in his office. counsilor didn't help. One day I called the chaplain & lo & behold, he answered his phone. I had a nice talk with him about the situation. He brought my son to his office & let him talk to me on speaker phone. My son told me everything in front of the chaplain. The next day I called the chaplain again. He was very nice & tried to assure me my son was in no danger. Don't know if he had anything to do with it or not, but in a couple days, my son was moved to another cell. When you dial the prison, you get a menu. That's how I got the chaplains office. Worth a try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shellybee For This Useful Post:
MotherJ (03-11-2009), wickit (03-11-2009)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Flippin-N-Flyin
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,900 Times in 1,673 Posts

You must be out of your mind with worry and fear! Our justice system is so messed up. I would be contacting the prison and talking to anyone who will listen. You might try sending letters if you can't get to the warden by phone because I think your son is in a situation that is discriminating against his disability and he has been put in harms way. You can pm me anytime. God bless your heart.

Love my 1st grandson, RIP
I miss you!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM

I am so sorry to hear this story, I can just imagine how afraid you must feel. I know of some advocacy groups in Michigan but I'm not sure about your state. Maybe if you look under your state on the PTO site someone there may have some advice as to where to turn. I hope things get changed soon and you are both definitely in my prayers.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,452 Times in 999 Posts

I think if you possibly can you need to travel to the prison, walk into the warden's office and refuse to leave until he/she sees you. This is really horrible what they have done to your son. Are they nuts??????
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Site Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,383 Posts

I know it will be difficult but please try to be calm. You won't be able to do anything constructive if you are all worked up.
Call the superintendent/warden. No answer? Call the next in line. No answer, call the next in line.
Call the head of the DOC, no answer? call next in line. etc.
Someone is going to talk to you. Just be calm and persistent.
I do believe that if he is truly afraid for his life he can be put in protective custody and from what ever I have learned the DOC takes that pretty seriously.
Not to sound disrespectful or anything but it does sound odd that your son would rather try to escape and risk being shot rather than sit in segregation for awhile. I know plenty, including my own that have sat there and would rather have done that then try to escape. Your son may be getting his feet in this new environment? who knows? but until you do know, stay calm and be persistent.
You and your son are in my prayers.

PTO Quarterly Newsletter Fall 2014
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Home & Free 07/17/10

You need to start making calls/ letters on his behalf. Start with his counselor and report the incidence he's told you about. If that doesn't work, work you way up the chain of command. If you have to contact 7 on your side, do it!

My prayers are with you and your son.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Site Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,383 Posts

I think I would start at the top and work down in this situation.

PTO Quarterly Newsletter Fall 2014
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 AM

http://www.aclu.org/affiliates/oklahoma.html

I hope this link can of help if nothing is done by the prison officials first.
I am sorry for what you are going through. I truly feel your desperation. I pray that God will hear your prayers and grant you calmness, patience, and strength. May God protect your son from any harm or evil and grant him peace of mind and wisdom so he can make the right decisions to stay safe. I recommend you send him a book of daily devotions. I believe that if he reads it first thing in the morning and meditate on each daily devotion it will help him calm down and be more at peace with where he's at. God bless you and your boys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopefulmum For This Useful Post:
Katie2211 (03-12-2009), nevaeh2morrow (03-12-2009)
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM

I was able to talk to a counselor, I guess and explained what was going on. They took Nick and put him in solitary protection for 72 hours, but did not tell him why. When he got out they accused him of "checking in". and apparently that is a bad thing. So I saved him for a few days only to let him suffer more because they thiunk he told, I don't understand prison life and every thing i do seems to make it worse.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Prison definition for "checking in"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsmom View Post
I was able to talk to a counselor, I guess and explained what was going on. They took Nick and put him in solitary protection for 72 hours, but did not tell him why. When he got out they accused him of "checking in". and apparently that is a bad thing. So I saved him for a few days only to let him suffer more because they thiunk he told, I don't understand prison life and every thing i do seems to make it worse.

I heard my son refer to this term when I went to visit him one time. I asked him what it meant. He said is what the inmates refer to an inmate checks himself into protective custody. He said they refer to it as "checking in" because someone will go knock on the appropriate staffs door and tell them they need to be put in protective custody because they are afraid and are facing some type of retaliation. My son said they can also be placed in protective custody if the staff thinks they are in danger. This is basically the "SHU" (Segregated Housing Unit) or "AD Seg" (Administration Segregated Unit) depending on what type of facility it is.
I would start blowing their phones off the wall. I have been told by a medical member of staff, they hate it when you start calling, threatning law suits, etc and will bend over to do whatever they need to do. Get names when you call and le them know you will hold them personally accountable legally along with the prison system. Keep a journal of everyone you have contacted. Don't just call the nurse at the prison, keep getting their supervisor, and climb on up the ladder. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! I would overnite letters to the warden or do whatever is necessary to make sure this is taken as high as you can. They hate talking to an inmate's family.
I am so very sorry for your situation. My son is not a violent offender either, and we were devastated when they sentenced him to a maximum federal unit, but my son is not disabled. I hope things change for you and your son!! I wish I could give you something more solid to go on. You are in the right place to get answers. PTO has been an answer to my prayers!!
BE TOUGH NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY TRY TO MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE OVERREACTING!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Iam4myman For This Useful Post:
kimbow64 (03-23-2009)
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 AM

prsmom,
I am new to the forum. I came across this site by accident. I think your advice was excellent. I wish I knew about this forum 2 years ago when my nightmare began. My son had some of the same problems at the beginning of his sentence and so I feel deeply the pain that a parent experiences over it. You feel so hopeless and alone. But, our kids need us and we have to persist....keep calling the prison....don't settle or give up!!!!!!!! I'm praying for you and your son.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimbow64 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 AM

I am sorry your is having such a difficult time. I know there are budget problems everywhere but to put a non violent,disabled offender in a level 4 seems a bit extreme. If I were you I would do everything in my power to bug them to get him moved to another lower class prison. I don't understand the prisons decision to put him in seg for 72 hrs.,what did they think that would accomplish. They knew how the other prisoners would react after his release. I don't know how much time your son has to serve,so I don't know if it is feasible that he do his entire sentence in seg.Are there any programs there that would move him away from the others without him being in seg. My son is in a program that keeps its participants from too much contact with other prisoners unless they want interaction in their free time. My son says some people seek out admission there just because they are more removed from GP. Its a low level prison though,and my son hasn't had any problems in or out of the program that he couldn't handle. Your post really made me remember how blessed he is.