Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Default Aggravated Robbery Sentencing in Texas

How long would a sentence be for that? A gun was involved and money was stolen. $50-$500 is what the page says in the list of charges.

Nevermind...I found the sticky. Thanks.

Last edited by beez0811; 03-04-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Lack of sleep makes eyes not work well...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 AM

Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,968 Posts

For the benefit of anyone that might search for and find this thread looking for the same information - aggravated robbery is a first degree felony punishable by 5 to 99 years or life in prison with a fine of up to $10,000.
Dillon's Wife (03-21-2009), mamajmg (03-06-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,541 Times in 1,745 Posts

Robinsman is correct. There are other factors like any priors and what the circumstances were that will have an affect also. There is also the possibility that they could take the agg. off but I've seen here lately where even though they take the agg. off, TDCJ still treats it as such once they arrive. Prayers going up for you!

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

this was michael's charge. first offense, he used a pellet gun, and the clerk was involved (it was planned beforehand). he got 13 years out of brown county.

michael's cellie is in for the same thing..used a real gun, and got 20 years.

but like robinsman says- the range (sorry...meant this not standard) is 5-99 years....so it's a bit of a crapshoot...best of luck to you and your loved one

Last edited by britecloud; 03-05-2009 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM

I gave the range of possible sentence. What actually gets handed down is a complex function of the circumstances and available facts surrounding the offense as well as the personalities involved in the subsequent defense, prosecution and judgment.
ReggiesLady (03-05-2009)
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

This person isn't really a loved one of mine. I've never even met the guy. I just hope his fiance/girlfriend/whatever is willing to deal with him possibly being sentenced for a while.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,583 Posts

Be sure and tell her about PTO. It will help her a lot if she knows others understand what she is going through.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
walkonwater (04-06-2009)
Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 AM

my fiance had the same charge and he got 18yrs and no fine
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 AM

my baby da was charged with this did 8 and is back on a possesion charge which he took 3 for but there folding it they say so hes still up for parole but they could deny him for 5 years every time hes up for parole so im praying paroles in may any one know more please tell me i know nothing bout law so if you can help id appreciate it
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

She's not with him anymore. No offense to any of you, but due to some of the circumstances of what happened during the crime I'm glad she left him.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 AM

1994 my guy was 17yrs old and was at the wrong place at the right time with a 'throwed off" friend when a nut jumps out of a bush waving a baseball bat at them trying to provoke a fight. Long story short,,,,the friend took bat from vic and assaulted the dude w his own weapon and my guy took his wallet (stupid) makeing it agg robbery. My guy took a plea of 10yrs adj prob but violated by catching a charge of theft under $150. Can you beleive he did 14 yrs flat on the 20yr sentence and the dude who actually beat the man got off.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 PM

My son has 5 years up for parole in June

Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,759 Times in 689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsMan View Post
I gave the range of possible sentence. What actually gets handed down is a complex function of the circumstances and available facts surrounding the offense as well as the personalities involved in the subsequent defense, prosecution and judgment.
And the prejudices and bias of the sitting judge.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 AM
THE UNSTOPPABLE ONE

It really depends on the county the crime was committed in. Regardless of what the laws are in Texas. As most of you know, the rules and regs are made up along the way in any given situation. My son was sentenced to 99 yrs for an agg robb. First offense. He was certified as an adult at the age of 16yrs old and not eligible for parole till 2028. The same crime was committed in another county a week or so after my son's and that person received a 12 yr sentence. Go figure!!

Cyndie
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 AM

Perhaps I should have placed some quotes around the word "personalities" so the innuendo was not so subtle as to be overlooked.

Of course, what can anyone expect when all of society is engaged in the blame game? Let a judge be lenient and then an offender be released "early" and go right back to what he did before (is anyone surprised at that?) and the judge is then on the five o'clock news with the media crawling right up his ass. We must always blame someone for everything and amazingly it is almost NEVER who is properly to blame for it if the guilty party cannot provide political traction for the one side or the other. Nope, blame is only directed where it best fits media bias or political agenda.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,759 Times in 689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsMan View Post
Perhaps I should have placed some quotes around the word "personalities" so the innuendo was not so subtle as to be overlooked.

Of course, what can anyone expect when all of society is engaged in the blame game? Let a judge be lenient and then an offender be released "early" and go right back to what he did before (is anyone surprised at that?) and the judge is then on the five o'clock news with the media crawling right up his ass. We must always blame someone for everything and amazingly it is almost NEVER who is properly to blame for it if the guilty party cannot provide political traction for the one side or the other. Nope, blame is only directed where it best fits media bias or political agenda.
I don't know Royce. Chris was guilty and we never denied it. What we tried to do was ensure that his rights were not violated in the haste by Houston Police to make an arrest. More than 1 lawyer had a problem with the search which included having him sit in the back of a police car for 9 hours trying to get a confession and authorization to search.

The sitting judge "didn't want to hear it" so our only option was to go to the court of appeals. We didn't feel that making the judge mad by appealing his decision was a good idea so, we felt it was best to just let a sleeping dog lie. Not hardly justice by anyone's measure, but the safe way out in our collective opinions. We got a sentence we could live with but was it justice? Hardly. Yes there are facts that were overlooked or swept under the carpet and is there blame to be assessed? Sure.

You chose to blame the media for bias which I can hardly disagree with. The news media today is full of bias, usually by journalists who are tired of covering the same injustices over and over again. Keep this in mind though Royce, the media does not create these stories, we simply mirror the facts and then report on them, yes many times, especially in blogs, bias is included. My assumption is that intelligent people who read a story can draw there own conclusions from the facts.

My experiences in Texas which include 39 DNA exonerations, the most in the nation, leads me to believe that perhaps there are some problems with justice in Texas. There are monumental problems with criminal justice in this state and I think it's pretty clear that the "guilt" call was missed in these 39, God only knows how many more.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM

My husband certifed at 16 as adult first offense sentenced to 99 years with a 10,000 fine. We never said he was innocent just wanted a fair judgement. People that wer in it with him 15 years and 10 years ajudicated probation.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmanoy For This Useful Post:
Drucifer (04-11-2009)
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Donation Award 

My son got a 5 year sentence and he spent 3 years in prison and is now on parole. Good Luck!! Jeannie
Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Account Closed

mine got 50, had possession of a gun but hurt no-one, the tdcj is unbelievable
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

My son got sentenced for Agg. Robbery, first offense, he got 13 yearsout of Harris County. I really thought that was a harsh sentence, but as said before it could have been 5 to 99.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyKamm View Post
My son got sentenced for Agg. Robbery, first offense, he got 13 yearsout of Harris County. I really thought that was a harsh sentence, but as said before it could have been 5 to 99.
you're right, kenny- michael got the exact same thing and ive always thought it was too much, but reading these boards has made me realize we got off alot better than others have.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM

I once thought the sentence my son received for his crime was more than he deserved, but I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I believe He knows all and sees all, and that He is the one that truly knows what is right and just. Who am I to say that my son, while this was a first offense as far as I know, didn't do something I don't know about. My son is a great son, like many sons here, but the son I knew/know would never have done what he did. This tells me I really do not know my son or what he is/was capabable of doing. I thank God that He is a righteous judge, and pray my son recognizes the goodness of God. It may appear to be harsh, but if there are other offenses we do not know about, our sons, husbands, friends, lovers, may have gotten off easy.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM

5 to 99- My boyfriends in on an aggervated robbery charge and they gave him 10 years on his first offense. He went in when he was 18. They are pretty harsh in Tx on aggervated cases!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:39 PM

I knew someone that was charged w/ agg. Robbery, and credit card abuse, IN TX. & all she did was wait in the car. She got 8 YRS, SHES DONE ALMOST 4 AND IS UP 4 PAROLL IN MARCH OR AUG [CANT REMEMBER] OF NEXT YEAR.

Last edited by b real; 08-03-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: ADD MORE INFO
Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi everyone i'm new here. and i was wondering if someone knows how long would a sentece be for that. A knife was involve and nothing was stolen.