Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison For everyone who has a husband, boyfriend or male partner incarcerated.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Default Things were going way too well - another roadblock

Just when i thought things were going semi okay itís like another roadblock has to come up. I had things mostly set with an attorney, a price for him to represent my boyfriend to get a bench warrant dropped, possibly not have him be extradited and to get his charges of PWID dropped to simple possession. BUT of course when i spoke to them on Friday, they informed me that my boyfriend now has two new cases against him that PA filed on the 15th. One is from July and one is from August. So now he wants to charge me even more to represent him for these two charges as well. My boyfriend has NO IDEA what these new cases could even be for (one is intent to possess paraphernalia and the other is for theft by unlawful taking). He was never arrested for these or notified he had cases against him. I also find it weird that PA waited at least 2 months to file these charges. Iíve tried looking them up on the pa courts website and nothing is there - only the current case for the PWID charge. How can the lawyers see there are two new cases but i canít?

Iím not sure what to do. My boyfriend says we should just hire the lawyer for his PWID charge to get the bench warrant dropped and that heíll get a public defender for the other two charges. But Iím also mad because the amount of money weíre agreeing to pay this lawyer to represent him for the one charge should be enough for him to represent him for the other two. I know lawyers can be costly but i just feel like heís charging me a lot already and now itís going to be even higher. This lawyer represented my boyfriends brother in an extradition case and charged him less than half of what heís charging me. I did call another lawyers office to see if heíll quote me at a different price.

I feel like a chicken with my head cut off. Iím all on my own trying to figure out what to do and just needed to vent
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torieoo View Post
I’ve tried looking them up on the pa courts website and nothing is there - only the current case for the PWID charge. How can the lawyers see there are two new cases but i can’t?
It sounds like they are just outstanding warrants at this point. Actual charges won't be filed in the court systems until he is arrested and arraigned on those warrants. Try doing a warrant search in whatever county he was living in at the time in PA, and see if you can't find out exactly what charges the warrants are pending for, and how much the bond amounts are set at, if even applicable.

That's also probably the reason the attorney is wanting to charge you more. It costs time and money to deal with out-of-state warrants, especially if you factor in any travel expenses the attorney might have to deal with, having to appear in court and taking care of it in person.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
It sounds like they are just outstanding warrants at this point. Actual charges won't be filed in the court systems until he is arrested and arraigned on those warrants. Try doing a warrant search in whatever county he was living in at the time in PA, and see if you can't find out exactly what charges the warrants are pending for, and how much the bond amounts are set at, if even applicable.

That's also probably the reason the attorney is wanting to charge you more. It costs time and money to deal with out-of-state warrants, especially if you factor in any travel expenses the attorney might have to deal with, having to appear in court and taking care of it in person.

I will try that. The attorney we were willing to hire is in the county where these charges were filed in PA
Old 10-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,164 Times in 11,769 Posts

If you haven't retained the first lawyer yet, definitely interview others before you make your final decision. I can't imagine that resolving one of three possible charges will be at all helpful though.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torieoo View Post
The attorney we were willing to hire is in the county where these charges were filed in PA
Perhaps the pending charges (outstanding warrants) are in another county in PA?

Definitely shop around if you feel the current attorney is trying to rip you off, but even additional charges in the same county mean additional court appearances the attorney will have to deal with, which aren't usually covered in a standard retainer for a previous charge.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
If you haven't retained the first lawyer yet, definitely interview others before you make your final decision. I can't imagine that resolving one of three possible charges will be at all helpful though.

No i agree, Iíd rather hire a lawyer to take care of all three and get it over with rather than put out all this money for one charge
The Following User Says Thank You to torieoo For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Perhaps the pending charges (outstanding warrants) are in another county in PA?

Definitely shop around if you feel the current attorney is trying to rip you off, but even additional charges in the same county mean additional court appearances the attorney will have to deal with, which aren't usually covered in a standard retainer for a previous charge.

They might be. The lawyers office didnít offer much info on them, just what they were for and that the initial quoted price he gave me wouldnít cover these two additional cases. I also donít know how much lawyers usually charge for cases like this. This is my first time dealing with hiring an attorney