Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Wisconsin DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM
He's Finally Home!

Default Governor-NEW LAW!!!!!!

So last night my man saw on the news that Governor Doyle just made a new law!!! I didnt catch the whole thing but my man said that from what he saw..that nonviolent offenders/(good prison status) now get out one day early for every 2 days that they serve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else see this??
We only caught the end of it on the news last night but did anyone else see this or hear this? or can anyone confirm what i said above????

If thats the case....its about time that they changed something bc with the truth in sentencing law..its freakin ridiculous!!!!!

R.I.P JESSE STREMCHA
3/15/81-12/15/13
MY FIRST LOVE, MY BEST FRIEND, YOU KNEW ME BETTER THAN I KNOW MYSELF, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU, I WILL NEVER GET OVER YOU.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitinPrincess For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 AM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,414 Times in 10,401 Posts

According to msnbc reports ~
Doyle also proposed new good-behavior incentives that would allow nonviolent offenders in state prisons to get out sooner and reduce supervision time upon their release.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29248417/

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (02-19-2009)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
The Ex

Ok Heres the scoop on this new proposal, and I am so happy right now I can barely type

The budget plan introduced on Wednesday includes:

Inmates who committed non-violent felonies such as dealing drugs could earn a "positive adjustment" day for every two days of good behavior (this is the one my baby falls under

Inmates who commit violent but lesser felonies would get a positive adjustment day for every three days of good behavior

More serious felonies would require 5.7 days of good behavior for every positive adjustment day

Inmates who commit homicide and child sex crimes would not be eligible.

Heres a link to the article:

http://www.twincities.com/wisconsin/ci_11736037

I am so excited I can barely contain myself LOL there seems there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, of course it has to be approved and signed with the govenor

V
"So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do this because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." -The Notebook

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vsnowrn For This Useful Post:
skidncr (01-17-2012), thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (02-21-2009), XBOXPROGURL (08-11-2009)
Old 02-20-2009, 07:13 AM

Doyle also proposed new good-behavior incentives that would allow nonviolent offenders in state prisons to get out sooner and reduce supervision time upon their release.

What do they consider as non-violent crimes? What about the person who had no previous record, but was sentenced to a bogus child sex offense? What will happen there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gahma B For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (02-21-2009)
Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM

I hope this passes!

The prisons are overcrowded, the budget is severely strained - it only makes sense. I can't see how this wouldn't pass.

When I watched the news report there was a guy who was opposed to it, stating that releasing prisoners early, even non-violent offenders, makes the public nervous. It drives me crazy - because my boyfriend wouldn't hurt a fly!! And I'm sure a lotta other guys wouldn't either, I know a lot of them just made bad choices and would love nothing more than to go back to a normal life. I wanted to punch that guy in the face.

My bfs max out date is September 09, so I don't know if it will effect him or not, but this can only be a good thing - I REALLY HOPE IT PASSES!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhoney29 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 PM
The Ex

There will always be people opposed to this new law, we cannot please everyone. But that doesn't erase the fact that the truth and sentencing law has overcrowded our prison system, it needs to be addressed the state doen't have the funds to fix the current prisons or pay for the excess of inmates that they hold. I have a good feeling it will be passes. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

V
"So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do this because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day." -The Notebook

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vsnowrn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 AM
He's Finally Home!

I do like this law...BUT i hate the other ones that he proposed. Personally i totally disagree with the cig tax increase and tax on oil....and that makes me MAD but i like the one for offenders. Its about time they do something like this.

R.I.P JESSE STREMCHA
3/15/81-12/15/13
MY FIRST LOVE, MY BEST FRIEND, YOU KNEW ME BETTER THAN I KNOW MYSELF, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU, I WILL NEVER GET OVER YOU.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitinPrincess For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009)
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Anything that gives inmates hope is a good thing. However, making good time apply to only a certain segment of the prison population will breed internal hostilities. Getting rid of truth-in-sentencing is a good place to start in reducing prison overcrowding, but we must also address parole and probation whose petty rules result in way too many revocations. Did you knows that in Wisconsin there is a parole/probation rule that states simply "No Police Contact"? One would assume that means no contact because of something illegal the parolee or probationer might be involved with. Not so. I personally know of individuals who were revoked for having reported a crime. That's right. One fellow reported his car being stolen from a downtown Milwaukee parking lot and was imprisoned for four months before an administrative law judge determined that revoking a person for that reason would be tantamount to insanity. Yet, Wisconsin continues to revoke men for that reason. I will call him Bill--Bill contacted detectives in his city to share with them information he had about a double homicide. The detective in turn contacted Bill's parole officer to report that he was cooperating with the police on a homicide. That PO later called Bill at home and threatened him with revocation if he talked to the police again. Bill talked to the police again and a lawyer. The lawyer got Bill discharged from parole while the PO was busy trying to figure out the wording for his revocation. Our prisons in Wisconsin are being kept filled by a parole/probation system that is so corrupt as to defy belief. Anything that gets a person released sooner will be offset by an increase of revocations. No person in Wisconsin can live by the rules of Parole and probation. Many rules must be broken simply to survive. Some rules are so vague that they can be applied at any time to revoke a person. "Don't do anything that is not in the best interests of society or the offenders rehabilitation" That's one example. What does it mean? Who determines those things? Ask for a clarification and you are labeled a troublemaker and will have more rules added to your list of rules to follow. Early releases are merely smoke and mirrors. Those released early soon discover how shortchanged they are once the meet with their parole officer and get their list of rules.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Zee For This Useful Post:
lin27 (03-05-2009), TammyK (02-21-2009), thelook (02-27-2009), Zero_7 (07-01-2010)
Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
15.5 Months To Go

What you've stated is ABSOLUTELY true! My man is hoping his old/outdated 70+ yrs PO retires before he gets out. She has lied to the court, lied on court documents, threatened me because I am associating with a known felon, threatened to take my children away because they are going to arrest me because I won't tell them where he is (I couldn't as I didn't know where he was), etc. Wisconsin Parole Offices - at least the ones I've encountered, don't belong to the human race. They are so busy trying to put people back in jail (so they don't have to deal with them) rather than help then rehabilitate into society that it is rediculous. I sure hope he gets a PO that is respectable, honest, and follows the rules him/herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Zee View Post
Anything that gives inmates hope is a good thing. However, making good time apply to only a certain segment of the prison population will breed internal hostilities. Getting rid of truth-in-sentencing is a good place to start in reducing prison overcrowding, but we must also address parole and probation whose petty rules result in way too many revocations. Did you knows that in Wisconsin there is a parole/probation rule that states simply "No Police Contact"? One would assume that means no contact because of something illegal the parolee or probationer might be involved with. Not so. I personally know of individuals who were revoked for having reported a crime. That's right. One fellow reported his car being stolen from a downtown Milwaukee parking lot and was imprisoned for four months before an administrative law judge determined that revoking a person for that reason would be tantamount to insanity. Yet, Wisconsin continues to revoke men for that reason. I will call him Bill--Bill contacted detectives in his city to share with them information he had about a double homicide. The detective in turn contacted Bill's parole officer to report that he was cooperating with the police on a homicide. That PO later called Bill at home and threatened him with revocation if he talked to the police again. Bill talked to the police again and a lawyer. The lawyer got Bill discharged from parole while the PO was busy trying to figure out the wording for his revocation. Our prisons in Wisconsin are being kept filled by a parole/probation system that is so corrupt as to defy belief. Anything that gets a person released sooner will be offset by an increase of revocations. No person in Wisconsin can live by the rules of Parole and probation. Many rules must be broken simply to survive. Some rules are so vague that they can be applied at any time to revoke a person. "Don't do anything that is not in the best interests of society or the offenders rehabilitation" That's one example. What does it mean? Who determines those things? Ask for a clarification and you are labeled a troublemaker and will have more rules added to your list of rules to follow. Early releases are merely smoke and mirrors. Those released early soon discover how shortchanged they are once the meet with their parole officer and get their list of rules.
Chalupafor (07-18-2009), thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (02-22-2009)
Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 PM

I really hope this passes. I know all to well about probabtion in wisconsin it is bad they can and do revoke for anythint minor. no one can possibly deal with it. My hubby was on probabtion and i had it out with his probabtion agent on more than one occasion she hated me I was sitting in her office and I had my arm crossed she yelled at me told me to uncross them and sit with my feet on the floor i said excuse me she said that is a offensive way of sitting I said yeah well I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and i am holding my arm to keep it somewhat comfortable until I get to the er so to bad I will sit how I want she told me that it was her job to keep my kids safe I said safe from what and if it is your job then you can also pay my bills and support them get up in the middle of the night with them get them to school etc cuz last time I checked they are MY kids and I dont remember yo being there when they were conceived or born and you for sure as hell dont support them and my hubby isnt a danger to them or anyone else however Ii can and will be a danger to anyone who messes with my kids or my family. Yeah she didnt like me and she knew she couldnt do anything to me that really pissed her off. the po's here are all on a huge power trip they need to be knocked down into the real world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unicorn54166 For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (02-22-2009)
Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
The Ex

Yes I know too, Rob's PO revoked him on some minor rule violations, here recieved 1 year and 9 months for some rule violations!!!!! This is why Wisconsin currectly holds 22,000 inmates and other states like Minnesota only have 7,000 current inmates. They have no choice something has to be done, and I hope the law passes and Rob gets out in a couple of months!!!

V

Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 PM

[quote=WaitinPrincess;4441227]So last night my man saw on the news that Governor Doyle just made a new law!!! I didnt catch the whole thing but my man said that from what he saw..that nonviolent offenders/(good prison status) now get out one day early for every 2 days that they serve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else see this??
We only caught the end of it on the news last night but did anyone else see this or hear this? or can anyone confirm what i said above????

If thats the case....its about time that they changed something bc with the truth in sentencing law..its freakin ridiculous!!!!!
Now that yo man is home i know your happy im happy for you i cant wait for that day to come whenever it comes? My question to u and yo man is what do u all think might happen to my fiance he is serving 360 days in illinois 4 a domestic violence and he will be finish with that in july of this year he paroled from wisconsin to illinois in may of 2006 with about 5yrs left on paper he got arrested in july of 2008 for his crime in illinois and serving his time in the county i know wisconsin is gonna come and extradite his ass but i have know clue in what they gonna do any info u can read more about this under parole violation??????????????????? Thanku
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meant 2B KS For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
~~ Love you... Always ~~

I just hope that if it passes, they process the inmates that are eligible ASAP

As for the sex offender portion.... what if they are a registered sex offender, but that's not the charge they are currently serving?
Would they qualify since they already served the sex crime?

I really just hope they don't take their time processing this when it goes through.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SummerRae For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (03-04-2009)
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
The Ex

I think that they will have to expidite the process, otherwise what good is it going to do. The prisons will still remain over crowded for at least the next year or two, they are going to have to move faster to save some money for this state. I am keeping my finger crossed of course

V

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM

Wow. This is news. I realize that there is much to be amended about the prison systems but at least this is a start. It's about time the state realized that it needs to spend less on prisons and more on education, health and job creation which are some of the reasons people end up being in prison in the first place and the whole thing turns into a vicious cycle. As for the reasoning given by the person who said that releasing them earlier would make the public feel insecure, I couldn't think of a more stupid argument because the public that is going to feel insecure, would feel that way even if they served the entire sentence before getting out. Later release would only mean you get to spend a little more 'insecure' time. That makes no sense at all.

The public needs to realize that locking someone up does not change a thing. Studies have shown that there is hardly any correlation between crime rate and the prison population. Crime rates were actually lower in the state when the prison population was at its lowest. So there are other factors at play here. Pumping money into the police department is another thing. The more patrol you have out there, the greater the number of arrests, regardless of the crime rate. Isn't that insane. I wish people would put a little more faith in actually exploring some kind of objective research before assuming that locking people up is the answer to everything, because it's really not. I think I talked about it in another post somewhere in great detail. It has also been shown that people who DO end up getting jobs are the ones least likely to go back to prison, and although it is illegal to discriminate against someone who has had a criminal record, it happens all the time. It's harder for people to find employment or to be treated as human beings despite serving their time. The stigma attached to being an ex-felon, has very real consequences, and despite popular belief, its unfortunate that once you have been an 'inmate' you continue to feel like one even in the so called 'free' world.

This is just the beginning though and I am glad that the governer proposed this law. Let us hope for the best.

Waki
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waki For This Useful Post:
bhoney29 (02-24-2009), thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (03-04-2009)
Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM

If this new law passes will it make it easier for violent offenders to get ES? I just don't get why they offer it if there never gonna give it.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Life DOES Go On! :)

Does anyone know if any good time is proposed for those sentenced under the "old law" before truth-in-sentencing, or is this to be applied ONLY to those senteced under "new law"?
The Following User Says Thank You to 4ever2gether For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Smile Early Release

My son called me and said that he to seen this on TV and that the warden of the prison he is in sent a memo to every inmate regarding this and said for them to calm down, and when this is passed they will be looking at the sentences and will get it all figured out. There is representative in Wisconsin who is very much for this bill, and you can go on his web site and email him in support of this bill. I live in Minnesota and my son is in Wisconsin and this is how they do it in Minnesota,,, inmate doe earn good time and the system works fine. I for one am very excited about this bill, and it will mean alot to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CKSUN03 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
~~ Love you... Always ~~

It's only for those under truth in sentencing.

Since those under the "old law" have their mandatory release date set at their 2/3 rds mark, so they already get one day off for every 2 served essentially.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SummerRae For This Useful Post:
4ever2gether (02-27-2009), thelook (02-27-2009), WaitinPrincess (03-04-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
The Ex

CKSON03

Do you know this website I would like to look at it and email this man LOL

V

The Following User Says Thank You to vsnowrn For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Okay, so if this applies to those sentenced after truth in sentencing, would they start the one day for every 2 days served from the point the bill is passed, or for how many good days they have already served BEFORE the bill was passed? Im not tryin to get my hopes up, but if it they did it for how much time was already served, my baby would be comin home to me SOON....not in september, after his 75%....and hes been very good the whole time he's been in there

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adams Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 AM
The Ex

Adams Lady,

This is a question I wonder too, you would think to make a difference they would have to have it go back otherwise if the time served starts after the bill is passed it would take about 2 years to see relieve on the budget. I guess we will all have to sit back and wait to see what happens. I know Rob is sending his 75% petition in March we are keeping our hopes up for that one too. Otherwise he doesn't get out for sure till October. It seems like forever for me. I am hoping for the best

V

Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Smile Early Release

His name is Joe Parisi and he is a democrate and he is one of them that is sponsoring and agree's with this bill. Go out on Wisconsin State Senators and Representatives and type in his name. You can read the articale and you can email him. I am emailing him to let him know that I supporte this bill and its time we have a change in the truth and sentencing law. We need this. Like I said Minnesota has this and it works just fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CKSUN03 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 PM
The Ex

Thank you CKSUN03,

I will look this up tonight and email him also. I am totally in support of this bill too. Having a loved on locked up this long for no reason is what is driving me to this

thanks again
V

The Following User Says Thank You to vsnowrn For This Useful Post:
thelook (02-27-2009)
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM

Start the praying people!!!!
This may be the start of Wisconsin changing its prision system!!!
babygirl_1 (03-05-2009), WaitinPrincess (03-04-2009)