Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 AM

Angry Why?(about drug rehabilitation and recidivism)

Can someone please explain to me why? My husband has been in and out of prison for the past 23 years. All of his convictions have been drug related none have been violent. So isn't it obvious to our legal system yet that there so called prison rehablitation is not working. They have never offered him a rehab option and they won't now because of his extensive drug conviction record. Don't they relize that if they offered him a drug rehab that it might be more beneficial than just another prison term where he still has access to drugs on the yard. His last conviction brought him a 6 year term for having being in possession of less than a 1 gram of meth. I gram 6 years boy that just is real fair sentencing for just such over crowded prisons huh!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,177 Times in 2,324 Posts

I am sorry you are going through this. I dont know why the system is the way it is, but we gotta take it as it comes. Maybe when he comes home he can go to a rehab, if he wants. Remember God is good & prayer is powerful.

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canthelpbutwait For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (01-28-2014), Lonzo's Lady... (02-13-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 AM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,607 Posts

This is one of the problems with dealing with addicts. Everybody thinks, oh just send them to prison, they will stop using, that is a joke. Once everybody understands that people do not need to just be punished, but also REHABILITATED, then and only then, will we see recidivism rates lower. Sending a drug addict to prison, well it is useless pretty much, it does nothing to solve the problem, in fact, the problem most times will just continue through incarceration because they will continue to use because drugs are so readily available in prison.
The only reason my husband has been clean through out his incarceration is because that is what he chose, he wanted to get clean and stay clean, it had NOTHING to do with being locked up. Unfortunately, there are some people who have been addicts so long, the likelihood of them ever recovering, are slim. If the first time your husband was incarcerated, he got help, instead of punishment, his chances for recovery would have been much greater. Now by no means is he a lost cause, but the fact of the matter is, spending 23 years in and out of prison, this is just a way of life to him now.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xgot420issuesx For This Useful Post:
SheriBaby (04-15-2015), slippery brat (02-14-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Missing My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery brat View Post
Can someone please explain to me why? My husband has been in and out of prison for the past 23 years. All of his convictions have been drug related none have been violent. So isn't it obvious to our legal system yet that there so called prison rehablitation is not working. They have never offered him a rehab option and they won't now because of his extensive drug conviction record. Don't they relize that if they offered him a drug rehab that it might be more beneficial than just another prison term where he still has access to drugs on the yard. His last conviction brought him a 6 year term for having being in possession of less than a 1 gram of meth. I gram 6 years boy that just is real fair sentencing for just such over crowded prisons huh!
I understand your vent but there is something I want to add and it might come across as cold and uncaring but I don't mean it to. While prison has not offered him a chance to rehabilitate it has NOT prevented him from seeking rehabilitation on his own. The first step in getting clean is the desire to be clean. You say he has been in and out of prison for the past 23 years so he knows what to expect and what he probably won't get in there. I speak from experience; my fiance has an addiction also. He went to rehab and was clean for 16 + years before he relapsed and went back in. He plans to rehab again when he comes home later this year or at the very least go to N/A on a regular basis. We don't expect the penal system to "fix" him and IMO neither should you..Marcia
Mikesgirl73 (04-15-2015), mrs.bug (08-17-2010), nimuay (01-28-2014), slippery brat (02-14-2009), Summerlove92 (01-22-2014)
Old 02-14-2009, 11:42 AM

In Ca sentencing is crazy! But the state and the voters have voiced their opinions they are sick of druggies and crimes. I agree with Marcia
Quote:
don't expect the penal system to "fix" him and IMO neither should you
The prison system is broke and there is NO rehad in there for anything. You guy should think about drug treatment once he releases. I can tell you from personal experience I could not stay out of jail until I stopped using and now I haven't been arrested in years because when I don't use drugs I don't break out in felonies.

Good luck to you and your guy. Maybe you can start by sending him Narcotics Anonymous literature while he is in and he can read it and get started on his road to recovery from there. Tell him to find out when the NA panels come to the prison and go to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted_one For This Useful Post:
slippery brat (02-14-2009)
Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM

I think Lonzo's Lady made an excellent point: nothing is stopping him from seeking help on his own.

You may consider calling United Way in your area to find out if there are services, either private or through local or state government, that can provide substance abuse/addictions counseling for your husband. I don't know about where you are, but here in Georgia there are county services in the state that offer out-patient counseling with sliding-scale fees based on your income.

My concern is this: even when parolees/probationers are mandated in release conditions to do substance abuse counseling here, they often don't show up. Rarely do people enroll themselves voluntarily and stick with a counseling program (speaking from personal experience). He himself is going to have to be ready and committed to his own recovery before anything, in or out of prison, mandated or voluntary, will help.

I wish you and your husband the best.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Donation Award 

You know, that brings to mind the last time my x went to court, he begged the judge for some kind of drug treatment plan, he told the judge that prison didnt work for him and that the drugs were the reason behind his charges (even though he has never had a drug charge) and the judge said "well I guess I'll see you in my court again then".
I was shocked and dismayed because for the first time in 6 years my x finally admitted to himself and to others that he had a problem. But alas, he will have to wait until he is released from prison (who knows when) and then find a facility who will take him....one that doesnt require money up front because he wont have any....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgot420issuesx View Post
This is one of the problems with dealing with addicts. Everybody thinks, oh just send them to prison, they will stop using, that is a joke. Once everybody understands that people do not need to just be punished, but also REHABILITATED, then and only then, will we see recidivism rates lower. Sending a drug addict to prison, well it is useless pretty much, it does nothing to solve the problem, in fact, the problem most times will just continue through incarceration because they will continue to use because drugs are so readily available in prison.
The only reason my husband has been clean through out his incarceration is because that is what he chose, he wanted to get clean and stay clean, it had NOTHING to do with being locked up. Unfortunately, there are some people who have been addicts so long, the likelihood of them ever recovering, are slim. If the first time your husband was incarcerated, he got help, instead of punishment, his chances for recovery would have been much greater. Now by no means is he a lost cause, but the fact of the matter is, spending 23 years in and out of prison, this is just a way of life to him now.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the information. I have been looking for news about drug rehabilitation because I am working on a thesis in school and it's important that I pass the subject though. The information in this blog will be helpful to my fellow students too.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Still I Rise ~M. Angelou

Thanked 1,670 Times in 763 Posts

I have a friend who is currently in jail awaiting sentencing for less than 1 gram of a similiar drug. He has been in repeatedly, just like your husband. In fact this last time, he was out less than 3 months before he was arrested again. I get your frustration. However, if my friend truly wanted to stop he would have checked HIMSELF into rehab after one of his jail stints. When he is in jail, my friend has plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of his behavior and to decide his next steps. He CHOOSES to go back to drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to vera31 For This Useful Post:
ohsweetmaryjane (08-16-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
I think Lonzo's Lady made an excellent point: nothing is stopping him from seeking help on his own.

You may consider calling United Way in your area to find out if there are services, either private or through local or state government, that can provide substance abuse/addictions counseling for your husband. I don't know about where you are, but here in Georgia there are county services in the state that offer out-patient counseling with sliding-scale fees based on your income.

My concern is this: even when parolees/probationers are mandated in release conditions to do substance abuse counseling here, they often don't show up. Rarely do people enroll themselves voluntarily and stick with a counseling program (speaking from personal experience). He himself is going to have to be ready and committed to his own recovery before anything, in or out of prison, mandated or voluntary, will help.

I wish you and your husband the best.
i agree but just letting him know that it has to be him that makes that first step and you will be beside him for the rest of them
Old 08-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,422 Times in 10,013 Posts

Even though it would be nice if there were an alternative to prison, most drug addicts don't clean up in rehab either. if they did, there wouldn't be a single addict left on the face of the country. Rehabs have, at best, about a 15% 'cure' rate, but it's usually lower, depending on how it's measured. Even AA and NA only claim about 10%, though that too is a slippery number. And anybody who would be forced into a rehab as an alternative to prison probably isn't ready anyway, and therefore, only likely to reoffend.
BlueEyedEllie (08-17-2010), Cindy C (08-14-2010), Fancy (08-17-2010), mrs.bug (08-17-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 PM
The Bird will soon fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera31 View Post
I have a friend who is currently in jail awaiting sentencing for less than 1 gram of a similiar drug. He has been in repeatedly, just like your husband. In fact this last time, he was out less than 3 months before he was arrested again. I get your frustration. However, if my friend truly wanted to stop he would have checked HIMSELF into rehab after one of his jail stints. When he is in jail, my friend has plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of his behavior and to decide his next steps. He CHOOSES to go back to drugs.

If he is in Travis County, thank the Lord it isn't Wilco. I used to work at Wilco and well, let's just say that I don't anymore and I realized...well, I realized alot!

Good for you for seeing that everything they do is their CHOICE to do. Good luck to you and yours!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanked 1,563 Times in 801 Posts

I am wondering if my area is just REALLY far ahead of the rest of the country?

It seems like EVERYONE gets stipulated to some kind of drug treatment around here, LOL, even people who don't need it.

But at the end of the day, drug treatment is NOT the only way to get clean. And if you aren't invested in the treatment and recovery process, nothing will change anyway. Treatment is really just to teach you tools so that you can stay clean on your own. It doesn't make you stay clean.

My man has been in and out of prison for ten years. He has been in and out of treatment many times, and he still continued using. And ironically, even when he is formally recommended by the judge to participate in treatment, his probation officer never really follows up anyway to see how he's doing in his treatment program.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 AM
BUG from around the way..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,318 Times in 1,650 Posts

Courts don't send addicts to prison in hopes that they will get better, they want to get them off the street so they don't steal, hurt, or kill someone while they're trying to get their fix.

If I'm being honest it sounds like you're blaming everyone except the one person who's really got the problem. If you keep making excuses for his addiction so will he.
BlueEyedEllie (08-17-2010), Summerlove92 (01-22-2014)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.bug View Post
Courts don't send addicts to prison in hopes that they will get better, they want to get them off the street so they don't steal, hurt, or kill someone while they're trying to get their fix.

If I'm being honest it sounds like you're blaming everyone except the one person who's really got the problem. If you keep making excuses for his addiction so will he.
I agree.and often times it's not the person's first offense by the time they get to prison.they've often had rehab more than once before finally getting sent to prison.I agree with nimuay,also.rehabs really don't have a real high success rate any way.To the OP,after 23 years,in and out of prison,if he is still using,i wouldn't blame that on prison.The blame rests solely on his shoulders,and no one elses.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Account Closed

Rehab would be beneficial for some. Even if they did rehab and then the rest of the duration of the sentence in prison. The prison programs that I have endured and seen are non-beneficial. It appears each state has different rules though. I know some people who have been to rehab back to back for violations and don\'t even make it out 30 days upon coming home prior to going back. Honestly though, since your husband is not being offered rehab perhaps when he comes home, if he really wants the help, he will enroll in a rehab program.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Waiting on my silver fox

There's alot of truth that others have already posted. It really breaks down to a truism: If you want to change, you will seek change.

However, having said that, even if you want to change, those opportunities may not be available to you. For instance, my boyfriend is a pretty severe alcoholic. He also dabbles in drugs, mostly marijuana but I've caught him with painkillers and meth before. This summer I became pregnant. He wanted to change. But we were BROKE AS HELL. Literally. I lost my job at the beginning of my pregnancy, he has difficulties getting a job with his record, and then keeping it once he enters a drinking binge.

We started receiving food stamps and frequenting the Salvation Army and local food banks. I fell behind in the mortgage (its since been foreclosed) and my checking account was closed due to having so many negative balances. I am no stranger to seeking help. I've been poor most of my adult life. I've also got a mental health issue. I know the local ways to get help. We pursued those avenues as ways for him to get help. Either there was no funding for substance abuse OR they required money up front. If we couldn't pay for food, how the heck were we supposed to pay for rehab? Inpatient or outpatient? He did go to AA, but AA wasn't enough for him. He needed to be able to have counseling services in addition to the support group.

So yes, it is ultimately the addict's responsibility to seek help. But it is also our responsibility as a country to make available those services that could rehabilitate them when they do seek responsibility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueEyedGirl85 For This Useful Post:
blueberri (02-25-2013), SheriBaby (04-15-2015)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Account Closed

I understand this all to well. My fiancée is in for dui so his problem is alcohol. we all know addicts whether it is drugs or alcohol need treatment, alcoholism is a disease. My boyfriend received 8 years for his 8 dui but never been given the opportunity or made to go to treatment which makes no sense to me. I am sure if he was treated and taught how and why he is an alcoholic and was his disease was treated he would of not received those dui's. who in their right mind says "yes I want to be a drug addict or alcoholic" No one does, they need treatment. they system is flawed and things need to change. the politicians all know they need to do something about all the low level offenders being incarcerated and they want more judges to sentence to rehab but it is not being communicated properly. something needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery brat View Post
Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 PM

It's true the sentencing laws are too tough for possession, they have changed them on the federal level, and President Obama made a very interesting comment about the legalization of Marijuana in Colorado and Washington in an interview last sunday- Accordingly, he said of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington that “it’s important for it to go forward because it’s important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished.” Your husband is one of the "select few" who keeps getting caught over and over (although not Marijuana it's the same principle) - THIS IS FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM
tired

Thanked 14,155 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandD View Post
I understand this all to well. My fiancée is in for dui so his problem is alcohol. we all know addicts whether it is drugs or alcohol need treatment, alcoholism is a disease. My boyfriend received 8 years for his 8 dui but never been given the opportunity or made to go to treatment which makes no sense to me. I am sure if he was treated and taught how and why he is an alcoholic and was his disease was treated he would of not received those dui's. who in their right mind says "yes I want to be a drug addict or alcoholic" No one does, they need treatment. they system is flawed and things need to change. the politicians all know they need to do something about all the low level offenders being incarcerated and they want more judges to sentence to rehab but it is not being communicated properly. something needs to be done.
It's sad that he was never given the opportunity to attend rehabilitation threwout his 8 DUI 's. So he was never made to attend DUI school where they have pamphlets for AA by the door or he was never mandated to attend counseling or drug/alcohol classes threw courts? That's odd. I'd say the justice system didn't just do him a injustice but also society.
I don't mean that in a mean way but just in total awe that he was never even offered AA. sad.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,285 Times in 607 Posts

My state is good about giving an offender who is an addict rehab, one of the judges in my county had a wife who was an addict and killed herself and that particular judge almost always gives treatment a chance, but then again as its been said here, lots of those that do drug court or in patient get out and do the same thing again, so there needs to be a certain amount of personal responsibility
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mg113 For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (01-28-2014), DVNESSA68 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM

I wish there were more assistance to get LOs help! Addiction is an illness. My son is just sitting waiting for help in county the judge won't allow us to get him in rehab till sentencing. Sad and a waste taxpayers money.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM

Thanked 1,290 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.bug View Post

I agree completely. After 23 yrs of the same behavior,it's not the prison's fault. They may be lax in helping addicts but there are free support groups for addicts,not for profit drug addiction HWH'S. These are grown people who are ultimately responsible for their own behavior.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM
tired

Thanked 14,155 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga lost View Post
I wish there were more assistance to get LOs help! Addiction is an illness. My son is just sitting waiting for help in county the judge won't allow us to get him in rehab till sentencing. Sad and a waste taxpayers money.
I don't know if you know this or not but if your son starts writing letters to rehabs and programs asking for help sometimes they accept the inmate and he is able to show the judge in court so he can be released to court ordered rehab instead of prison. It was done a lot when I attended courts in, Texas, New Mexico and now California. It's worth a shot anyway.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 AM

I know this is an old thread but I had to chime in.

My brother has been in and out of prison repeatedly for DUI. He is mentally ill and an alcoholic.

He has never been to DUI school or offered anything beyond AA. Here in Texas. He did go to SAFP and was so hopeful about it but it was ineffective and pretty much useless (and he's not the only one who has had that opinion of that program).

He has begged repeatedly for help. He has been turned away time and time again for not having money or insurance to pay for intense help. He has only been able to get himself committed short term to the state hospital and then they release him after 72 hours. They refer him to the county mental health free clinic who only wants to give him medication,nothing beyond that. I've also personally experienced the same when I went to he county for help. Meds and off you go. No monitoring or counseling. Just meds. They had me on 3 xanax a day and I was so sleepy I couldn't stay awake while caring for my kid so I stopped the meds and just tried to deal with my anxiety on my own (still doing that).

I understand the thinking behind "Well he has to really want it" and "There are ways to get help" but you have to understand that when mental illness is thrown into that mix it's not exactly what mentally ill people do best (find help, persevere when they are turned down over and over).. the sense of hopelessness can take over very quickly.

He is currently trying to plan for a sober living halfway house if/when he is released and again, what he's been told at this point is the same; no room, no beds, no money. Maybe that will change when he is actually closer to release, who knows.

Maybe I should open one myself.

The reality is, if you have money, things are available to you. Quality legal representation, health care, mental health care. If not, well, good luck.

Last edited by SheriBaby; 04-15-2015 at 06:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to SheriBaby For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (04-16-2015)