Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > The Volunteer State Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Volunteer State Lounge The Tennessee forum's lounge... general chit-chat and things unrelated to the Tennessee prison system go here!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Arrow Sex Offender - Probation Revoked

Jay is in jail for a probation violation, his original charge was Mitigated Statutory Rape. I am wondering, is it normal for someone with a Stat Rape charge, who was put on probation and had it revoked to do their time in a county jail instead of a prison? I ask because when I look up any information on the charge and the penalty for such it mentions being incarcerated in a prison. Is "prison" just a general term that can mean prison or a county jail? Any thoughts???
Be running up that road
Be running up that hill
Be running up that building"
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Did you check the SOR? It should tell you what his status is.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM

He's not registered, for whatever reason... I wonder about that myself, but the SOR is a dead end for me.
Be running up that road
Be running up that hill
Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 AM

the guy who was arrested along with my husband has a prior sex offense charge. And yes they revoked him and stuck him in the county jail. He was charged with a felony on his new charges but he is still in county. They revoked his bond also. Seems to me like there are no set rule according to what your charges (prior or current) or your sentencing.... argghhh! And where they send the person depends alot on how much time they have to do and i guess how crowded the prisons are too.

The Following User Says Thank You to superdreamATM For This Useful Post:
chaotic_peace (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Triscuiter Extraordinaire

The state pays the county for housing state inmates. I do agree with superdream about the delay being that the prisons are overcrowded.

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM

I'm late on this one but often times if they are serving less than 8 years they will be sent to a county jail to finish the time. even though they say 8 years its usually around 3 or less.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM

My son's father is incarcerated in a county jail for probation violation (& some additional alcohol related charges). They have classified him as a hibitual criminal. I'm not sure why he's doing his time in county???? He has a parole date & is considered a state inmate. May have something to do with the amount of time.
As far as the sex offender registry....if I'm not mistaken they're usually not required to register until after their release. I read something about that the other day online (believe it was a link from a link on the TN.Gov website).
Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM

My husband told me that usually if their actual incarceration time is going to be only about a year, they keep them in county. Not sure if there is a written guideline. My hubby would have stayed in county for parole violation ...but he committed an additional felony so the state came and got him!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM

Everyone I have ever talked to (here anyway) said they'd much rather do their time in prison rather than in the county jail.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 AM

I think it's all just a confusing system! LOL. Jay doesn't really talk about where he'd rather be (prison or county)... He has mentioned a lot, though, that he'd rather be in the mental health institute he was in for a few days (evaluation) if it were an option. I'm sure I wouldn't blame him for that one, you have much more freedom at a mental hospital. But I guess my answers concerning prison or jail classification have been answered. Jay's original sentence was 11-29 turned into probation time, after having his probation revoked, was ordered to do certain amount of time - So his time is less than a year, can see why he is in county instead of prison. Was just curious as I know some people stay in county jail for various felonies, and others are in prison for the same (similiar) felonies. I was a wee bit confused. Bah! *walks around the room, mumbling* Thanks for all the opinions guys!
Be running up that road
Be running up that hill

Last edited by chaotic_peace; 02-24-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 AM

You know...thinking about it, I know it can take weeks...sometimes months to transfer from county to state. Then once you get to a prison you have to go through classification, etc., then get transferred somewhere else. I guess by the time one goes through all that & they FINALLY get to where they're going to serve their time...you're half way (or more) through your sentence already. So I guess I can see the point of keeping them at county.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM

My husband would rather be in prison than county. He kept saying he was sick and acting crazy when he was at county and said "I'm a TDOC inmate! I demand better treatment or I'm filing a grievance". Then they finally got rid of him and sent him to CBCX. (haha)

Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Wearing my cranky pants

Oh lordy, Tony was a basket-case when he was in county. Although he's all the way across the state, I prefer him to be in prison just for the visitation aspect. We've spent more time one on one in the 8 times that I've traveled out there than we would have if he'd stayed in county and I visited 2x week for my 30 mins. And those visits he was behind glass! He feels that he has more freedom in prison, and I think that's because at KCDF they are understaffed so he spent a lot of time locked down. He did 18 months there under those conditions initially when he picked up his charges and I don't think he dealt with it well then. Needless to say, he didn't want to go back. Luckily within 30 days he was transferred to WTSP for classification and then 30 days to the day he was transferred to HCCF to do his time.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Triscuiter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrndreamgirl View Post
Everyone I have ever talked to (here anyway) said they'd much rather do their time in prison rather than in the county jail.
Heard the same - food is suckier, visitation is suckier and NO TV's (perish the thought)....

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 AM

The county jail my husband was in only served food twice a day, 6 am and 6pm. And no tv. OH MY GOD! (duh, you're in prison, not on vacation..)

Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,428 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic_peace View Post
Was just curious as I know some people stay in county jail for various felonies, and others are in prison for the same (similiar) felonies. I was a wee bit confused. Bah! *walks around the room, mumbling* Thanks for all the opinions guys!

I don't know about anywhere else, but in Sumner County it is the jail administrator that chooses who goes, and when. When there is an opening in prison (IE) classification, they call the administrator and say we have 3 openings, or we have room for 5 or whatever number it is. The administrator then goes through the list of everyone waiting to go to the pen and selects the ones to fill the spots. And they get sent.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 AM

same here the jail admin has the say so my dad was just sent to wtsp a few weeks back and he has his 1st parole next mo. if he dont get out and he has to flatten his time he will get out in dec. i thought he would stay at co. only 15miles from me he was a trustee he left the jail at 6am and checked back in at 7pm he had pretty good untill his wife of 25 years now ex wife is dated a county cop that high up in rank and buds with the adm small town soap opera