Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,583 Posts
Default Texas Sex Offender Information

One of our members has spent considerable time and effort gathering information about programs,registry, parole etc. for SOs in TX. Many thanks to her for her efforts.

Originally Posted by TiredOfTexas

Not sure where this should go, but I found the information useful and thought others might. I have just spent an entire weekend gathering data about programs for SOs: programs they have to attend in prison, and counselors approved for when they get out. All or part of this may be REQUIRED of a SO. It will depend on three things from what I have gathered:
  1. Offense
  2. Prison behavior
  3. Parole Officer
I have an email and certified letter for back up out to the director of the SOEP and SOTP asking specific questions about the program, wait time, how many are allowed in at one time, which units it is offered at and how it is determined exactly which program they are put in and is it mandatory. Once I receive a response back I will post in this same thread.

Sex Offender Education Program (4 months) and Sex Offender Treatment Program (18) months currently offered at Hightower (both) and Goree(Only SOTP) units as far as I can tell: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/pgm&svcs/pgms&svcs-sexofftrtpgm.htm

Who reports and for how long to the registry: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/pgm&svcs/sex-offender-mgt-grant/sex_offender_registration_form_rev_5.8.02.PDF

Parole approved Sex Offense Counseling/Treatment Providers: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/parole/parole-contracts/parolecont-sexoffdr.htm

All re-entry and rehabilitation programs available in Texas for Offenders: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/pgm&svcs/pgms&svcs-links.htm

Parole Policies. This was very helpful in learning the "process" : http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/policy/p...s.htm#chapter2

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
AngMaxRocks (07-13-2014), anitewhisper (03-14-2014), BobbysGirl1974 (12-17-2013), bojo1955 (08-11-2010), Cali_mom619 (04-10-2014), Cara1947 (09-25-2010), Dillon's Wife (01-23-2009), Hallwaywalker (04-01-2010), ifheonlyknew (07-20-2014), IrishAngel518 (02-02-2011), look4music (10-17-2009), madmom098 (09-06-2010), mamajmg (02-04-2009), MATEOsParents (05-25-2010), Nora L (12-21-2009), Old Paint (07-24-2011), ParoledIn98 (07-27-2014), Star_of_Texas1 (02-09-2011), THAT1'SDABABY (02-12-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Update!!!!
I received the following email repsonse in less than 24 hours mind you from the director of SO programs at TDCJ. My email questions to him is first and his response is next. Hope this helps someone else the way it has helped me.

Dear Mr. Bon-Jorno,

I would like more information about the two programs you conduct. The Sex Offender Education Program (SOEP) and the Sex Offender Treatment Program (SOTP).

1. Which units are these programs offered at?
2. How many offenders are enrolled in the program at any time?
3. How is it determined which program an offender would be enrolled in? Is this based on their offense, their intake interviews or recommendations by unit staff?
4. Is it mandatory that every sex offender go through either of these program prior to release on parole?
5. How many offenders are currently on the wait list?
6. How long is the average wait list time for the offender before being accepted into the class?
7. Is there another program offered outside of the unit while the offender is on parole?

Thank you for your prompt response in advance.

I hope that the following information answers your questions regarding our Sex Offender Rehabilitation Programs (SORP):

Sex Offender Rehabilitation Programs (SORP) are located on the following units:
Goree Unit located in Huntsville, Texas; 18 month - Sex Offender Treatment Program (SOTP), males only, capacity = 204

Hightower Unit located in Dayton, Texas; 18 month - SOTP, males only, capacity = 252; 4 month - Sex Offender Education Program (SOEP), males only, capacity = 111

Hilltop Unit in Gatesville, Texas; 18 month - SOTP; females only; capacity = 28

The Board of Pardons and Paroles (BPP) has a voting option called the Rehabilitation Tier Voting Option (FI-R) which designates that an offender must successfully complete a rehabilitation program and comply with all elements of the individual treatment plan (ITP) prior to release on parole. With an FI-4R or an FI-18R (see explanation below) the offender must meet the FI-R date and successfully complete a sex offender program before being released on parole.

Unless given an FI-R vote, offenders must typically be within 18 months of their release date, not parole review date, to qualify for participation in Sex Offender Rehabilitation Programs.

Voting Option Explanation:
FI-4R - Transfer to a TDCJ rehabilitation program. Release to parole only after program completion and not earlier than four months from specified date. Such TDCJ program shall be either the Sex Offender Education Program or the Sex Offender Treatment Program.

FI-18R - Transfer to a TDCJ rehabilitation program, then release to parole only after program completion and no earlier than 18 months from a specified date.

Currently there are approximately 162 offenders waiting to be enrolled into one of our programs – the average wait is about 4 months.

Offenders may be required to attend sex offender treatment while on parole. Those treatment sessions are coordinated between the offender’s parole officer and Licensed Sex Offender Treatment Providers (LSOTP) practicing in that community.

For more information about our programs you may want to visit our official website at the URL listed below.

http://tdcj.state.tx.us/pgm&svcs/pgms&svcs-sexofftrtpgm.htm

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to TiredOfTexas For This Useful Post:
AngMaxRocks (07-13-2014), BobbysGirl1974 (12-17-2013), Cara1947 (09-25-2010), Dillon's Wife (01-23-2009), GraysonMom (01-23-2009), heartfriend (05-17-2011), jade266881 (03-02-2013), larrylynch (06-18-2011), madmom098 (09-06-2010), mamajmg (02-04-2009), MATEOsParents (05-25-2010), MiniMoose (08-06-2011), mrsprez0830 (02-18-2009), number one son (06-22-2011), Old Paint (05-09-2012), Redbird47 (01-26-2009), Ronjrsgirl (03-27-2009), Star_of_Texas1 (02-09-2011), THAT1'SDABABY (02-12-2010), true2her (01-28-2011), WDT's 4 ever (03-10-2010)
Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Default need help on FI 4 change to FI 18

Hi,
My friend is a SO. He was granted parole in december 08. The PB gave him a FI 4R. Last week he was transfered to the Goree Unit. There they told him he would have to do the 18 month program a FI 18R parolee would get, not the 4 month program he should do being that he is an FI 4. They wouldnt give him a reason why or tell him what authority they had to override a PB decision. I called the parole ombudsman's office and they told me that if my friend was a FI4 then no one at the prison could change him tho a FI18. they told me to call rehab and reentry. i spoke to the SOTP director and she told me that they could make him do an 18 month program w/o parole board approval. i asked her what if she had someone who was told to do a 18 mo program and they wanted to change him to a four month program, could she do that without parole board approval. She said no, they would have to send it back to the parole board. She said that they have an "unwritten understanding with the parole board". How can they add 14 mos to someone's sentence on a whim, but need permission to cut his sentence by 10mos. Can anyone give me any advice on who i need to contact so i can help my friend. he was scheduled to be released this May. Now they are saying his earliest release will be October 2010. His end sentence date is January 2011, 2 months after he would be released after the 18 month program. Why should he have to jump thru all of the hoops to go home maybe 2 month early under intensive supervision when he could just hold out an extra couple of months and get out and not have to jump thru any hoops except for registering. he wants to come home now. he has two boys who are really sick and his wife needs the financial and emotional support he could give. I'd appreciate any help. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to rudy1101 For This Useful Post:
mrsclayton76 (08-14-2009)
Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Released inmate

Most sex offenses involving children are classified as mental disorders (Pedophilia or other such ailments) and these people are housed on units that provide psychiatric services and medications, and those that don’t the inmates are often considered depressed or housed on protective wings on units that at least provide medications. Yet the SOTP is not offered on these psychiatric units and therefore the SOTP program for sex offenders who are classified with a mental disorders who really need the program are not able to participate.

Anyone also on the psychiatric case load for any reason is often denied the program as being unstable enough to participate. If they are actually house on psychiatric unit like Skyview or Montford forget about it.

Ask the director of the SOTP program if inmates on medication or the psychiatric case load can participate in the program. There might not be a definite answer or you might get the run around. (This will prove my point)

Even if an offender completes the program the chances of getting early release or parole is slim. The political environment in the world today all but wants to hang SO’s and the parole board doesn’t want to be seen as going easy or helping even paroling sex offenders as its political suicide so even with the completion of such a program parole for sex offenders is very slim.

If people are asking questions regarding the SOTP the first question to ask besides what inmates actually qualify to participate, is how many who have completed the program have had any early release or have been paroled before their long way discharge?

You have to remember this is a state run prison program and that should speak volumes unto itself.

(I must note that I had a good cellmate who was a sex offender and we spent hours talking about the system and the double standards and the Catch 22’s)

Last edited by I_survived; 06-21-2009 at 09:07 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I_survived For This Useful Post:
4everStephen (03-08-2012), AngMaxRocks (07-13-2014), madmom098 (09-06-2010), Old Paint (05-09-2012), Star_Loving (08-28-2011), Star_of_Texas1 (02-09-2011)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Thank you for all the time you spent researching this. So did I read it correctly, that my son who received 8 years sentence with possibility of parole in 4 years will not be released on parole unless he has completed one of the programs? Even if he did not complete one of the programs because they were full?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM

If the offender was 18 and was charged because he slept with an underage girl, 16 or 17, and the her dad pressed charges, does anyone know the chances of him making parole if he's done 8 of a 10 year sentence and if he'll be required to take any of the classes listed above? He's caught a few cases, but none since January and has completed his GED and some college courses during his incarceration and has also become an active participant in church activities.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
u take my breath away

Basically this may seem sad, and heartless but in this world today, if they are marked as an SO, the parole board won't really care about the positive attributes they have accomplished. Unfortunately, most of our world is one sided, and believes people can not change.

You can never go back and change your beginning, but you can take a step forward and rewrite your ending.
Every Path has it's puddle, True love never forgets, Proverbs
The Following User Says Thank You to CherryPie For This Useful Post:
Star_Loving (08-28-2011)
Old 09-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Whether or not they have to go through one of the above programs is entirely discretionary. Meaning whoever is reviewing their parole file will make that decision contingent upon their release. I was told that if they have a plan of alternative proven treatment plan upon release, paid for and registered for they could be released with the stipulation they go into that program and complete it. My husband has not been ordered to go through any of these programs and has now completed Changes. He was denied his first parole and will come up for mandatory or short wave in November. So we should have an answer on that in late October or early November. ON a three year sentence he has served over a year now and even though his case is minor in relation to many others he still may get a serve all meaning he will serve the entire three years. Again, ALL SO cases are now treated as aggravated cases and they can pretty much do what they want. I suggest hiring a parole attorney of you can afford it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiredOfTexas For This Useful Post:
BobbysGirl1974 (12-17-2013), Nora L (12-21-2009)
Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,968 Posts

A serveall means only that they must serve until their PRD which, in your husbands case, in only until November. In fact, if his short way date is in November then he was already given a servall on his last parole review. If he does not make his short way they will continue to review him for parole. Only for "3g" (aggravated) offenses does a serveall mean serve until their max date and even then they can always change their mind.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 PM

hello. my husband did 7 years for a SO in 1999
it was considered aggravated he did his entire time and did not get to parole
he said they offered it but he didn't take it as the conditions were not good
something like this
but my question is this. he is in now for a failure to register (even though he is registered) he went in twice and no one was there... and they called me... i took him up there to register and they arrested him .. awesome
now he is serving a year (court monday .. my attorney said this) they wanted 4 years. we took a deal on one year. does anyone know will he serve state jail or county jail? can he be a trustee or no frikin way? its not the original crime... it's failure. any info appreciated
county is 2 for 1 days right now. trustee is 3 for 1 days right now and state jail is day for day
Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
happy healthy & impatient
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwife091572 View Post
something like this
but my question is this. he is in now for a failure to register (even though he is registered) he went in twice and no one was there... and they called me... i took him up there to register and they arrested him .. awesome
now he is serving a year (court monday .. my attorney said this) they wanted 4 years. we took a deal on one year. does anyone know will he serve state jail or county jail? can he be a trustee or no frikin way? its not the original crime... it's failure. any info appreciated
county is 2 for 1 days right now. trustee is 3 for 1 days right now and state jail is day for day
hey there, my husband is also a SO. Just wanted to let you know that they don't allow SO's to be trustees. It's pretty sad. My husband had to go back for 2 years all because of 2 technical parole violations. He did not pic up any new charges and has been on great behavior the whole time. They still won't allow him to become a trustee.

November 10, 2012: Maximum date reached

It's over. We made it!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 AM

Default it is almost the same with my husband

i thinkd it depend on the judge if he orders him to spend the time in a county jail that is where your husband will go. normaly they are sent to a state prison and because of the ofense, so have to do 85% of their time.. my understanding the more that they do in takeing classes evevn if they don't have to is better for them. my husband go 3 years for not regerstering when he did but crap sometimes happens. it is sad because we know he did not do it, they did not have enough evidence he had 5 counts against him. now we were going to trial but changed our minds because he going to trial could have given him 50 years. we did not want to take the chance of him getting 10 years per count from the jurey, so the da gave him a 10 year probation and comunity hours and other classes to take. so now we are hear he has now been in 5 months and it is a drag. i wished that things could be different and have different classification so these people that get charged for something they did not do. i have been on both sides, my nephew was sexualy abused at the age of 4 and there was proof of the offence. now my husband has to be marked because his daughter in law was abused and she was looseing her husband so she had her two daughter from a first marrige accuse my husband so that she could keep my stepson from leaving her. needless to say my husband is marked and she kept her husband by sending him on a guilt trip. i hope this helps i did not mean to go on and on i just needed to vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwife091572 View Post
something like this
The Following User Says Thank You to joanie63 For This Useful Post:
Star_Loving (08-28-2011)
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM

my husband also convicted so was granted parole after 14 1/2 years on a 25agg. it was his 4th time up. so's are not mandatory supervision eligible so they do their entire sentence unless paroled out, just means they don't get good time credit to lessen their time, sucks i know, he has to do the sotp program before release and that doesn't become available to an so until parole is granted, he was approved 3 months ago and still hasn't been transferred to the unit with that program. i know one who got an fi18r and he just transferred 2 weeks ago and when he got his slip for chain it had changed to an fi9r, on my mans parole granted paper it says fi18r, which class and the length of that class will be determined at a later date. hope his changes too.
The Following User Says Thank You to babyguz1 For This Useful Post:
hitulily (09-03-2012)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM

my bf is a registered sex offender who was accused in 1990 but on the advise of his court appointed attorney he accepted a plea deal 10 years probation - he did 8 years with no problem but was revoked when new judge assigned who thought he was taking too long to complete his community service - she sent him to prison for 5 years and he served all 5. This s.o. registration rule was not in effect when he went in but he was grandfathered in and now has to register. He had been out for over 5 years - registering and working as required. They caught him spending the night at my house one night and arrested him for failure to comply - his attorney told him no problem - he wouldn't serve one day - but after 1-1/2 years and 20,000 dollars he told him it would be best for him to accept a plea of two years since it would be impossible for a jury to give him less. So now he is again in prison and now has been in the review process since feb 16, 2010 and his interview was april 6 - still no decision - is this because he is a rso because I thought he would have a decision by now - any ideas?

Last edited by bojo1955; 06-21-2010 at 08:05 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM

My husband was interviewed Aril 21st and was moved on last monday. And now he's at the Bryd unit has been all over Texas and landed there. Has anyone expierence this He's done half but when I call they say it's still on the boards desk. So if anyone has info on maybe what going on it would be helpful. They have told me on other times it might be medical.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGTEXAS View Post
My husband was interviewed Aril 21st and was moved on last monday. And now he's at the Bryd unit has been all over Texas and landed there. Has anyone expierence this He's done half but when I call they say it's still on the boards desk. So if anyone has info on maybe what going on it would be helpful. They have told me on other times it might be medical.
Yea we got parole approval today. FI-4R - Looks like this means he will have to take the 4 month class. He took the class already on his original sentence - this was just the failure to comply. When will we find out if he gets in the class and does anyone know which units have he 4 month class. I heard it would be Huntsville or Dayton.
I'm excited but hope this class doesn't have a long wait list. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo1955 View Post
Yea we got parole approval today. FI-4R - Looks like this means he will have to take the 4 month class. He took the class already on his original sentence - this was just the failure to comply. When will we find out if he gets in the class and does anyone know which units have he 4 month class. I heard it would be Huntsville or Dayton.
I'm excited but hope this class doesn't have a long wait list. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated
First, congratulations on your loved one making parole. My husband got an FI-4R,too, and has to take a 4 month class as well. His will be at the Hightower Unit, I think it's in Dayton. I've been told there is a very long list. My husband is supposed to take the class in October, but I''ve been told they could change it to an FI 1 and send him home without the class if it's too full. Also, I called the unit and spoke to someone there and she told me the same thing. She also said since my husband is considered low risk then he has a good chance of being sent home early. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuffy79 For This Useful Post:
92lisamike (05-26-2012), bojo1955 (08-11-2010), DC2349 (03-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy79 View Post
First, congratulations on your loved one making parole. My husband got an FI-4R,too, and has to take a 4 month class as well. His will be at the Hightower Unit, I think it's in Dayton. I've been told there is a very long list. My husband is supposed to take the class in October, but I''ve been told they could change it to an FI 1 and send him home without the class if it's too full. Also, I called the unit and spoke to someone there and she told me the same thing. She also said since my husband is considered low risk then he has a good chance of being sent home early. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.
Wow that would be just great! I was getting a little nervous about the long wait list. Have they changed you man's release date on the locator site yet.
Glad you got good news - Crazy but after all the horror stories on this forum kind of felt a little guilty (briefly) since so many others are receiving bad new.
The Following User Says Thank You to bojo1955 For This Useful Post:
DC2349 (03-25-2013)
Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo1955 View Post
Wow that would be just great! I was getting a little nervous about the long wait list. Have they changed you man's release date on the locator site yet.
Glad you got good news - Crazy but after all the horror stories on this forum kind of felt a little guilty (briefly) since so many others are receiving bad new.
First of all, congrats to both of y'all who got good news!!! That is awesome!

And I want to second what you said about the horror stories - I think that there are a lot of folks who, for whatever reason, feel compelled to yank the rug out from under the feet of people who are hoping and praying for good news. I don't really understand that mindset, but I do see a lot - A LOT - of it around here. All in the name of having reasonable expectations, and "not getting your hopes up." I have to hope. If I don't hope, I don't have anything to keep going for, and I am not letting these bastards grind me down.

So congrats, and thanks for the info about the classes!!

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hallwaywalker For This Useful Post:
bojo1955 (08-11-2010), cristinas (01-19-2013)
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Donation Award 

There seems to be a lot of contrary information on this thread concerning SO's in Texas. My buddy is serving the first of two, ten-year stacked sentences for CP. He's receiving good time credits and work time credits- in fact they credited him his full 14 months in county, so his first parole hearing is next July. We are expecting him not to make his first parole as he's been bounced around from unit to unit so has taken no courses that would help him with the parole board.

In regards to SO's not having a chance at parole- That is 100% wrong, and people shouldn't make those kind of statements on here, expecially when the families of SO's come here looking for help. For more information on the number of SO's that are paroled, you should look at the following: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/publ...0FY%202009.pdf

Granted, the approval rate for parole for SO's is low- ranging from 21.44% to 17.11%. But it is not drastically lower than the approval rate for other offenses:

Violent Agg Non-Sexual Approval Rate: 24.29%
Violent Agg Sexual Approval Rate: 21.44%
Violent Non-Agg Non-Sexual Approval Rate: 20.91%
Non-Agg Sexual Approval Rate: 17.11%
Non-Violent Approval Rate: 35.76

Granted, I'm at a total loss as to why the percentage of approvals would be higher for Violent Aggravated Sexual than for Non-Aggravated Sexual. But SO laws in Texas make little sense anyway.The issue here is that Texas has one of the lowest parole approval rates in the entire U.S. (We also imprison more of our citizens- a full 5%) and hand out the longest sentences- go Texas- we're No. 1 (sadly.)

Last edited by TxHawker; 08-20-2010 at 02:30 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TxHawker For This Useful Post:
AngMaxRocks (07-14-2014), cristinas (01-19-2013), hitulily (04-05-2012), ilikbenme (08-20-2010), jade266881 (03-02-2013), leighcourty (06-28-2012), Star_Loving (08-28-2011), texaslady1959 (12-08-2013)
Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Waiting is the hardest

txhawker, i wondered why there were posts saying no parole and my man keeps telling me he's gone before the board twice with a third one coming up...he's been saying he'll be coming home one day before he has to serve all...just thought he was wishful thinking! Now, I understand that its never a guarantee for parole, but that's any sentence...I'm think in my head that it just might be a little bit harder for an SO, right?

Thanks for the information and the link...lots of help there!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Donation Award 

Yes- at least statistically it's harder, but a lot also has to do with what region they are in- some commissioners and board members are harder on certain types of offenses than others. But honestly we're not talking about a HUGE gap here for most types of offenses except the very lightest offenses. So keep your hopes up (and put together a killer parole presentation!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikbenme View Post
txhawker, i wondered why there were posts saying no parole and my man keeps telling me he's gone before the board twice with a third one coming up...he's been saying he'll be coming home one day before he has to serve all...just thought he was wishful thinking! Now, I understand that its never a guarantee for parole, but that's any sentence...I'm think in my head that it just might be a little bit harder for an SO, right?

Thanks for the information and the link...lots of help there!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TxHawker For This Useful Post:
cristinas (02-15-2013), DC2349 (03-25-2013), ilikbenme (08-20-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHawker View Post
There seems to be a lot of contrary information on this thread concerning SO's in Texas. My buddy is serving the first of two, ten-year stacked sentences for CP. He's receiving good time credits and work time credits- in fact they credited him his full 14 months in county, so his first parole hearing is next July. We are expecting him not to make his first parole as he's been bounced around from unit to unit so has taken no courses that would help him with the parole board.

In regards to SO's not having a chance at parole- That is 100% wrong, and people shouldn't make those kind of statements on here, expecially when the families of SO's come here looking for help. For more information on the number of SO's that are paroled, you should look at the following: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/publ...0FY%202009.pdf

Granted, the approval rate for parole for SO's is low- ranging from 21.44% to 17.11%. But it is not drastically lower than the approval rate for other offenses:

Violent Agg Non-Sexual Approval Rate: 24.29%
Violent Agg Sexual Approval Rate: 21.44%
Violent Non-Agg Non-Sexual Approval Rate: 20.91%
Non-Agg Sexual Approval Rate: 17.11%
Non-Violent Approval Rate: 35.76

Granted, I'm at a total loss as to why the percentage of approvals would be higher for Violent Aggravated Sexual than for Non-Aggravated Sexual. But SO laws in Texas make little sense anyway.The issue here is that Texas has one of the lowest parole approval rates in the entire U.S. (We also imprison more of our citizens- a full 5%) and hand out the longest sentences- go Texas- we're No. 1 (sadly.)
i think the non violent sexual is towards children whereas the violent sexual does not usually include a child. but im not sure about that
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Default mom searching for answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_survived View Post
Most sex offenses involving children are classified as mental disorders (Pedophilia or other such ailments) and these people are housed on units that provide psychiatric services and medications, and those that don’t the inmates are often considered depressed or housed on protective wings on units that at least provide medications. Yet the SOTP is not offered on these psychiatric units and therefore the SOTP program for sex offenders who are classified with a mental disorders who really need the program are not able to participate.

Anyone also on the psychiatric case load for any reason is often denied the program as being unstable enough to participate. If they are actually house on psychiatric unit like Skyview or Montford forget about it.

Ask the director of the SOTP program if inmates on medication or the psychiatric case load can participate in the program. There might not be a definite answer or you might get the run around. (This will prove my point)

Even if an offender completes the program the chances of getting early release or parole is slim. The political environment in the world today all but wants to hang SO’s and the parole board doesn’t want to be seen as going easy or helping even paroling sex offenders as its political suicide so even with the completion of such a program parole for sex offenders is very slim.

If people are asking questions regarding the SOTP the first question to ask besides what inmates actually qualify to participate, is how many who have completed the program have had any early release or have been paroled before their long way discharge?

You have to remember this is a state run prison program and that should speak volumes unto itself.

(I must note that I had a good cellmate who was a sex offender and we spent hours talking about the system and the double standards and the Catch 22’s)
That's just it. A SO can be a descent person,especially while locked up.But when it comes down to it, the sickness kicks in. and i don't think sickness should give them an excuse. My daughter's dad is in Marlin,Tx for child porn. They arrested him once for child porn and let him bail out. Then after the second arrest,they dropped the first count. He's supposedly looking at 2-5 yrs. I think that is horrifying. He needs a lot more help than that. He was always a terrible father,never around,always on meth and has many other suspicions over the years that have never made case. I think about this everyday. I don't know what to do.
So, how do i know if the prison he's in,in Marlin,tx will provide all the help he needs?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 PM

You shouldn't make judgements about all sex offenders based on what your daughter's dad did. There is more to some stories than is told or that people just don't want to hear about. Drug addicts and alcohols can recover so can murderers and sex offenders. You need to be careful about what you say. Not all sex offenses are committed with children but that's what everyone seems to think when they hear that word. And no, I don't think any prison can provide the all the help that ANY offender has committed. That's why there are so many that go back. Just my opinion.

Last edited by luvinhim24/7; 09-05-2010 at 12:43 PM..
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to luvinhim24/7 For This Useful Post:
anditcametopass (03-11-2013), bluetxsky (10-11-2013), bojo1955 (09-06-2010), cristinas (01-19-2013), Danigran (10-06-2014), DC2349 (03-25-2013), Gelmo13 (03-29-2013), Hallwaywalker (09-05-2010), HOLDINITDWN09 (03-16-2013), jdsgal (01-13-2012), leighcourty (06-28-2012), number one son (06-22-2011), patchouli (09-07-2010), roscoe1986 (03-13-2014), shyladybug20195 (04-08-2013), Slicksmom29 (11-11-2013), Tuffy79 (06-15-2011), waitingformyluv (01-02-2012)