Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Indiana Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Indiana prisons.

Old 12-21-2003, 10:47 PM

Question Wabash Valley worst prison?

Hello..I posted a thread earlier about the visits at Wabash Valley Corr. Fac. but I just heard some things from one of my friends that used to be there. He said Wabash Valley was the worst prison he's ever been to {and he was moved to 4 different prisons during his 4 year incarceration}. But I want to know if it was just him, or people you know feel the same way. My boyfriend used to be in Pendleton, which I guess was ok, but just a few weeks ago he got moved to the SHU for some stupid stuff. Pendleton *sometimes* treated him like a human being. I know Indiana State Prison in Michigan City is called the "Blood Bath", but now i'm hearing from a lot of people that Wabash Valley is almost as bad as I S P. If anyone could give me any info on that, I would really appreciate it. I just don't know anything about that facility, and it just scares me not knowing how my boyfriend is living, and hearing they are strict and more mean than any other prison. Thanks!

Jen

Donny will be incarcerated until 2011, unless he goes back to court and beats his case.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2003, 11:19 PM

LOL blood bath huh? well, my husband spent 7 years in indiana state prison and the CO's were less uptight than they are at Pendleton (which he is at now). I also feel Michigan City was so much better at visitation than Pendleton could think of. as for the SHU my brother inlaw was there and it was no fun and games, i know pretty much a majority of people get sent there for security reasons, so i am sure they are more strict there, sorry i wasn't much help.

Robin
Old 12-28-2003, 10:52 PM

Jen hi i myself havent visited SHU but i have heard some horrific stories about the place.I recently found out a old childhood friend of mine was sent there,so i researched so i could find out more.I have a link from a human rights watch site that i read.As for really knowing the conditions i cant say for certain.I hope things are much better then what i have heard. http://www.hrw.org/press97/oct/indiana.htm
Old 01-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Everything you heard about WVCF is most likely true. I was just there on New Years Day 2004, and it was so bad that I couldn't stop myself from crying. Of course my guy is in the SHU, which is what they call a "prison within a prison". Administrative Segregation means prison officials can put someone in the SHU for anything they deem to be a threat to the facility.......including Intelligent, conscious men who are respected by other inmates. Locked in a dull colored cell for at least 23 hours daily, unescapable lights, no human contact, besieged with dozens of petty regulations, racism and more RACISM, they are subject to "arbitrary and excessive use of force by guards". This is the wretched life facing men imprisoned, sometimes for many years, in the Secured Housing Unit (SHU) at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in Carlisle. The Human Rights Watch studied this facility and concluded that conditions reflect an excessively punitive approach to "problem" prisoners that does nothing to encourage their ability to reintegrate successfully into the general prison population or society.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info Carla. My man just called me for the 1st time since he's been there last night. He said it is pure hell there and he would do anything to get sent back to Pendleton, but unfortunately..he has to stay in the SHU until Nov. of this year. I heard the visits are really strict too..is that true? A woman told me they have a guard on each side of the glass, and they only gave her a 20 minute visit one time because the guard said he had other things to do "besides babysit." Can he do that??? how long are the visits supposed to be? If I have to drive 4 hours to get an hour visit, then I'm gonna get my hour visit. not a minute less then what they are supposed to be. He also said all people 13 and over have to have ID just to get through the gates!! but people under 18 don't have to have a notarized paper. thats messed up to me. Thanks...Jen!

**Not too long ago, my nigga caught a case. And I really don't know the next time I'll kiss his face. Even though ur gone. This relationship lives on. Being without u, is too hard to see. All u niggaz trying ta holla. Save my time and ya dollaz. Cuz I'm saving all my loving for my g.**
Old 01-06-2004, 08:42 AM

Hi Jen,

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news :-(
But I think sometimes not knowing is worse than anything the truth could possibly hold.
What unit is your guy on? Mine is on A-110. If they are on the same unit, PM me with his name and I'll talk to my guy. Though they can't SEE other people on that unit, there is enough of a vent that they can holler at each other. A lot of the men housed on that unit are intelligent men that the other prisoners respect. Respected conscious men are feared by the DOC. Is your guy being released in November? If not, do not count on your guy getting off the SHU, because they will keep him as long as they feel like it. And they don't have to have a real reason. Some people have been on there for 10 or more years! My guy has been on there for 14 months.....and there is no end in sight.....though I am presently writing letter after letter trying to change that.

Yes, they do have guards on both sides of the glass.....and they watch you closely. I don't know what they think we are going to do through 3 inches of plexiglass! And as far as the guard restricting the visit to 20 minutes.......I don't think that is common, but they can basically do whatever they want to do! And that doesn't surprise me......it was probably a payback measure on the guards part. They limited my visit to an hour, as that is the limit on weekends and holidays. I don't know about weekdays, but I can find out.

I generally don't talk like this or make judgments about people, but I have to say that I was totally shocked at the guards there. I mean they reminded me of Boss Hog and Sheriff Rosco P Coltrane and the whole gang......Good ole boys.......no too bright.....gettin their jollies from causing other people grief! Power mongrels, who have no way to feel good about themselves except from trying to make others SEEM or feel inferior. It is sickening!

I'll be thinkin about you and your guy and hope everything goes well. Keep in touch :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 PM

WVCF - is a real nightmare? My guy is in MCF he wants to get out there but the only other place he can go they say because he is level 3 is WVCF - I am scared now I pray he doesn't request it until after they do a new security review on him.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:50 PM

Smile wabash valley the SHU

The shu,My husband is currently in the Shu and yesthe gaurds there will put them men in there for the stupidest stuff.... I was just there on Saturday and I only got to stay on hour....No guards in the little room with you but the gaurds walk back and forth outside the door.My husband is in the shu becausehe wouldnt nark out someone.Like you said what do they think you will do with 3' of glass. As far as Wabash valley is the prison does really treat the men in there like dogs,They just like to see how the can make them mad so they can just push there power as they think they have.HA yes I to think alot of the gaurds really look like Boss Hog or his sister...My husband is in a-701.This prison time is almost over and soon I can bring my husband home. Take care all and I hope this helps
Old 01-27-2004, 05:28 PM

To anyone, what does SHU mean? Is wabash valley a level 2? I had a friend who worked at carlisle Plus my best friend son was a in law enforcement or something there, he is at another corrections up North now. we live close to that place I hope step son does not go there. Is That place bad? please let me know because my step son often times has problems with authority, I have told his Dad that i hope he gets better with his attitude. He has a disability manic depressed possible learning problem I have heard they don't have much for people with problems... thank you all this helps to have someone to vent to.
Thank you, Leather Green
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 PM

Default Wabash Valley, the SHU

Hi Leather,
SHU means Segregation Housing Unit, which is a level 4 or 5. They house Administrative Segregation and Disciplinary Segregation inmates. Well Disciplinary Segregation is obvious, they got busted for some type of behavior infraction....could be as minor as having contraband of any type or gambling or something more serious like fighting, etc. Administrative Segregation is the killer....they can put someone in there because they think they might be a threat to the prison or staff. For example, with my guy, he was in Disciplinary Segregation for a year. The day he got out of there and back into General Population they cuffed him and changed his status to Administrative Segregation. He hadn't done anything to warrant that. It was just that he had the maximum allowable time in Disciplinary Segregation and they thought he needed more punishment. In my opinion, they are afraid of the influence he has because other inmates highly respect him. So off to Administrative Segregation he went. They can keep them in there indefinitely....my guy has been in there for 15 months, but I know one of his friends has been there for over seven years! I believe Wabash Valley houses level 2's also yes. In my opinion Wabash Valley is probably the worse prison in the state. Even the Human Rights Commission has investigated them and found conditions there to be atrocious. There have been several documentaries outlining the inhumane treatment inmates there receive. If I were you, I would do my best to see that your son is placed somewhere else. If he suffers from mental illness it will most likely escalate there. There is no treatment for mental illness, and unfortunately most of the time these inmates end up in the SHU, where their conditions worsen. People die on the SHU. Several inmates have had mysterious deaths there, including recently some young man tragically burned to death....they called that a suicide! Crazy huh! Good luck with your stepson Leather. Keep him away from Wabash Valley.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Default shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Hi Leather,
SHU means Segregation Housing Unit, which is a level 4 or 5. They house Administrative Segregation and Disciplinary Segregation inmates. Well Disciplinary Segregation is obvious, they got busted for some type of behavior infraction....could be as minor as having contraband of any type or gambling or something more serious like fighting, etc. Administrative Segregation is the killer....they can put someone in there because they think they might be a threat to the prison or staff. For example, with my guy, he was in Disciplinary Segregation for a year. The day he got out of there and back into General Population they cuffed him and changed his status to Administrative Segregation. He hadn't done anything to warrant that. It was just that he had the maximum allowable time in Disciplinary Segregation and they thought he needed more punishment. In my opinion, they are afraid of the influence he has because other inmates highly respect him. So off to Administrative Segregation he went. They can keep them in there indefinitely....my guy has been in there for 15 months, but I know one of his friends has been there for over seven years! I believe Wabash Valley houses level 2's also yes. In my opinion Wabash Valley is probably the worse prison in the state. Even the Human Rights Commission has investigated them and found conditions there to be atrocious. There have been several documentaries outlining the inhumane treatment inmates there receive. If I were you, I would do my best to see that your son is placed somewhere else. If he suffers from mental illness it will most likely escalate there. There is no treatment for mental illness, and unfortunately most of the time these inmates end up in the SHU, where their conditions worsen. People die on the SHU. Several inmates have had mysterious deaths there, including recently some young man tragically burned to death....they called that a suicide! Crazy huh! Good luck with your stepson Leather. Keep him away from Wabash Valley.
We are not for sure what will happen to chris, Today we went to visit and he had been put in the hole , He was gripping about the prices. we are not for sure though, He has the Mental level of possibly 9th grade , he can write but very hard to read it.. We think he is bi -polar . we live close to wabash valley which I guess is the carla prison. The Attorney said he should not let them get him for his disability which is a learning disability because often times they put them in and lock the key.... I hope he can get in a place that will understand his condition.. It sounds like to me That county may be the best place for him..I have heard that Branchville is very good place( well if there is such a thing) What determines which prison he is placed in? Thank you so much ,you have been so nice to take time and write to me.
Bless you, leather green