Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Illinois General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Illinois that do not fit into any other Illinois subforum.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 AM

Default How much money does an inmate need?

Hi!

I am Luus (Lucia) from the Netherlands and I write with an inmate in Menard who does not have anyone to financially support him.
I'm willing to send him $50 monthly, but he suggests he would need $150 to live comfortably.
Can anyone give me some advice on this?
Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 AM

Default How much money does an inmate need?

Luus,

The answer is "it depends." The prison provides the minium and with budgets crumbling that isn't much. I don't know how well or how long you have known the inmate you are writing to, but if $50 is what you can afford, then just send that much. I send $100 a month, magazines and books, but that is to my ex-husband who I have known for 50 years.

Just be careful with your money. There are prisoners who solicit women pen pals, have several of them who they take advantage of, and ask for money from each of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olddominion For This Useful Post:
Illinois (01-12-2009), kylee23 (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Default thank you

Thank you so much for your advice. I also write with an inmate in California and also send him $50 a month and he's happy with it, so I will also send the one in Menard the same amount for he has no one else to support him.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

jail's not supposed to be comfortable.$50 will allow him to buy toiletries and some extra food. he needs to be thankful for what you can do
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Vanquished
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,573 Times in 2,177 Posts

If i am not mistaken they get paid for working in the Il prisons don't they?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM
funny how the tables turn

They do get paid for working in IL prisons, and I also agree with what was said previously.. If he has noone else to help financially then he should be grateful for what he can get.
"... I was planning on this being something worth mentioning, energy invested in someone I saw potential in.. who killed chivalry, they need to get their sentencing.. meanwhile we argue and I can’t get a sentence in, and just as I predicted here we go again.. they always say the hottest love has the coldest end"
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

it would depend because my boyfriend does not like to eat the food that they provide and he aslo needs money for toiletries and writeouts but he knows that i can't afford to send him money like and he understands becasue i'm not going to go steal and end up ijn prison myself becasue then who's going to take care of who. he has to be grateful that he has someone that in willing to send him anything and he has to make the best of it and get what he needs not what he wants.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 PM

Luus

Not all inmate woke in prison but the state give each inmate $10.00 a month to buy things they need what ever you give he should be thankful for it
jew
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 AM

This is crazy, cause me and my man just had this conversation. He wants me to send him $75 a month, so that he can get food and etc that he needs. He is very picky and i do not want him to starve, but that is a lot of $, and i explained that i would send what i could. But was unaware that the state gives them 10.00/month and that he could get paid to work, so we will be having to discuss this!!! This is my first time having to go through any of this, but regardless of my love for him i did not put him in there. I will support him as much as i can but can not lose the roof over my head and etc while he is gone either. I mean it used to be us splitting mostly down the middle and now there is only me tryn to pay everything, so i tried to remind him of that and the fact that he wont be there forever and will need something to come home to....
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Vanquished
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,573 Times in 2,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL'S ANGEL View Post
This is crazy, cause me and my man just had this conversation. He wants me to send him $75 a month, so that he can get food and etc that he needs. He is very picky and i do not want him to starve, but that is a lot of $, and i explained that i would send what i could. But was unaware that the state gives them 10.00/month and that he could get paid to work, so we will be having to discuss this!!! This is my first time having to go through any of this, but regardless of my love for him i did not put him in there. I will support him as much as i can but can not lose the roof over my head and etc while he is gone either. I mean it used to be us splitting mostly down the middle and now there is only me tryn to pay everything, so i tried to remind him of that and the fact that he wont be there forever and will need something to come home to....
I was like this when my brother and sister in law went into IDOC. I was already to send money cause I thought it was the same as Tx where they don't get paid at all they just work. Thank god for PTO cause it helped me realize that if and when i do send that i dont need to go over board. I send my husband (in tx and doesn't get paid) maybe 150 for xmas, his birthday and a little something for father's day. He makes it last .

As far as your loved one let him know that he need to remember taht just because you are in the free world nothing is free. You have bills that will not wait for you to come up with money if you send him too much .
Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM

State pay is supposed to be $10 a month and has been, for years. They have raised the prices at commissary but state pay actually went down a little to $9 something. Also, when the prisons are on lockdown ( menard is on lockdown OFTEN) they do not get the per diem for that time. If you have a job that pays anything you don't get the state pay. My husband was working full time for years and got under $30 per month. If you are taking a class, you can't work. Often there are waiting lists for jobs and only some inmates are eligible to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to tweedybird For This Useful Post:
~inmates_wifey~ (11-30-2009)
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM

My son said the same thing. By the time he gets his money for his job, he may be home! I do $50.00 because the phone calls and visits are a small fortune too!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 AM

Some state pay is 14.80 a month and others get 28.80 a month, unless you are lucky and work in the industries program. Most offenders get either the 14 or the 28 dollars per month.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Standin by my Man

Thank u so much for ur guys posts i am new at this and my husband was completly supports us i get a lil from unemployment but is not near enough to pay our bills and i was so worried about him if i could not send him enough i was afraid that he would have nothing not even enough to write me
Old 03-19-2009, 06:30 PM

Hi,
I don't want to come off negative but I have worked in IDOC since 1983 in several positions. First I noticed that you said you were sending 50.00 a month to another person in CA as well as this person in IL. I would recommend that you keep your 100.00 per month in the Netherlands and find you someone local. There are way to many people who are locked up that use pen pal sites to get money from good hearted people. Imagine if the person your are sending money to in CA or IL has 10 people just like you that are sending them 50.00 a month. When they get out they will have money for a car or apartment with some left over. Obviously you are an adult and free to do what you want with your money but I would caution you to expect that you maybe dissabointed with your investment. God Bless and Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
Henna (04-01-2010)
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM

I was in IL DOC 3 times...15 months for burglary 1989...36 months for residential burglary in 1992...and 6 months for damage to state supported property in 2004...been all over the IL DOC landscape and never ever heard of any state pay that is less than $15 per month

fact is an inmate recieving $50 a month from outside is in the top 1/3 to 1/4 of the income bracket....they would be comfortable...as for the "jobs", at least 90% of the inmates make $15/month...and of the 10% who hold higher paying jobs most of them make 20-45 with the majority being closer to 20 than 45...hope this helps

i plan on sticking around to help provide insight into what is fact and what is fiction
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeenThereIL For This Useful Post:
DianeDavis (12-14-2009), Henna (04-01-2010), saradee13 (08-11-2009)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Luus, it is outrageous for that menard inmate to ask you to send $150/mo. I do have a lot of penpals and might occassionally send $10 or $20 for their birthday. I send a few stamps to my FL penpals who do not get state pay.

As far as lots of people sending them money, ask for a print out of their account for the last year or two!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereIL View Post
I was in IL DOC 3 times...15 months for burglary 1989...36 months for residential burglary in 1992...and 6 months for damage to state supported property in 2004...been all over the IL DOC landscape and never ever heard of any state pay that is less than $15 per month

fact is an inmate recieving $50 a month from outside is in the top 1/3 to 1/4 of the income bracket....they would be comfortable...as for the "jobs", at least 90% of the inmates make $15/month...and of the 10% who hold higher paying jobs most of them make 20-45 with the majority being closer to 20 than 45...hope this helps

i plan on sticking around to help provide insight into what is fact and what is fiction
In have seen accounts from stateville , menard and tamms and it was $10 a month or less.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedybird View Post
In have seen accounts from stateville , menard and tamms and it was $10 a month or less.
Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances that create this or even budget tightening in the 5 years since my last incarceration...I take you at your word that you know for certain that the $15/month minimum that I was familiar with is no longer the rule...nonetheless, I'm sure you agree that asking for $150/month is ridiculous
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 PM

i send my fiance what i can i work some over time sometimes to try and support him he doesent wasnt me to send anything but i do, but when he gets out he will be taking care of me so its an even exchange , but yes your friend should be happy you send anything if you didnt he still wouldnt have anything lol
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 AM

my bf works in there at sheridan and makes 14.80 a month! thank god for his mom sending him money! cuz otherwise he would be broke! :-)
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
President, IL CURE

$50.00 a month will allow him to be comfortable and if he needs something, ie clothes or shoes in winter he can tell you
Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Always & Forever His

My man is in Danville and i send him $200 a month so he can buy food and whatever else he needs.And that sometimes isnt enough. Its hard in there.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM

An inmate gets up to 50 dollars a month for pay so i advise 50 or less and he'll be fine.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:43 AM
waiting for my baby

My husband Kemo is also in Danville and I send him $100 a month and that's still not enough