Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Florida facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM
strong enough

Default Clear Purses For Visits(Diaper Bags)

I usually buy makeup travel bags at the drug store for me that are relatively small. The dilemma is since my daughter is having a baby we are trying to find a BIG clear bag she could bring the baby stuff in. I have seen purses at the mall but if they are clear most have a bunch of metal on the outside (saw some XOXO bags like that), didn't know if they would be allowed.
What are you carrying for a Clear Diaper Bag/large purse and where can we find one?????
Old 12-31-2008, 06:38 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,473 Times in 3,665 Posts

Since most schools (atleast here in AL) have to use clear backpacks now, why not see if you can find a child's backpack? The straps will not be clear, but maybe that will not matter.

Also, I've seen one girl using one of the bags that a comforter comes in. It is rather large, but by the time she puts a change of clothes, blanket, etc it actually works for her.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 AM
strong enough

Cool ideas thanks!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
He's My Son

Thanked 1,469 Times in 432 Posts

Since most schools (atleast here in AL) have to use clear backpacks now, why not see if you can find a child's backpack? The straps will not be clear, but maybe that will not matter.{quote: ben'sgirl}

This is what my son's (daughter's mom) and my daughter used at visitation. There was never a problem at the facility they visited, and they're big enough for what's needed and easy to carry.

Home Is Where The Heart Is
&
He's Home!!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM
mccuneday

walmart has what they call clear totes for 8.00 that's what we use the handles {straps} are blue but they don't seem to care as long as you can see through the bag they are in the purse section i would stay away from the ones with metal one time you go it may be okay but the next time it might not they may think they could be pulled off and used as a weapon who knows what they may say but i would be on the safe side and say no
Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM

for diapers, etc...you can just use a freezer size storage bag by Glad or Ziploc or the grocery store brand. They are the perfect size AND are cheap.

I wish someone had told me not to use sandwich bags when I first started visiting to hold my money. Damn bag tore and coins spilled out. Luckily, at the time it happened, I only had about 45 cents left or it coulda been real bad.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM

I use a clear bag as a diaper bag that I bought at Walmart in the makeup bag section. It is the perfect size. It comes with like 3 smaller bags in it that are not see through. I think it was only like $10 or something. I can fit formula, bottle, 4-5 diapers, wipes in a clear baggy, a change of clothes and a blanket in it. Good Luck. Hope it helps!!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Default what baby items are you allowed to bring in?

When visiting with a baby what items are you allowed to bring in and how many of each? Can you go in with a baby carrier? how about a stroller? Would love to know so that when it's my turn to visit I can be prepared....
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,473 Times in 3,665 Posts

This is from the FAQ section on the DOC website:

A maximum of five (5) diapers, three (3) clear baby bottles or two (2) sipper cups for toddlers, three (3) clear, plastic jars of baby food with the original seal intact, and baby wipes or towelettes (in a clear plastic bag). Also, you may bring in an infant baby carrier (subject to search), one (1) set of infant clothing, and one (1) non-quilted baby blanket to keep the infant warm.

I've never seen anyone attempt to bring in a stroller and anywhere I've been there really isn't room for it.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
nightbird (01-19-2009)
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
mccuneday

Where my son is at Lake city c.f. no strollers and sometimes no baby seat sometimes they don't even let you bring a bag with items they give you a locker and you have to go to the locker everytime you need something. One time they even made us leave the stuff in the car and someone went with us to get what we needed. It all depends on who's working that day there.So we pack for every situation. we bring a clear bag with 5 diapers a sippy cup and 3 bottles with powder formula and buy the water in canteen . we also leave items easily accessable in the car never have they allowed us to bring in a change of clothes or a blanket we dress him in layered clothes so we can adjust to the temperature inside. We don't make a big fuss so it won't interfere with our visit we just adapt and if it gets too much we cut our visit short or I leave with the baby and go to the mall and come back at 3p.m. to pick up my son's girlfriend and sometimes I stay and she comes back to pick me up it's hard for a 10 month old to stay there with no toys ,teethers and any of that stuff .So like i said come prepared for anything. I saw a lady there once with a bib that was a teether what a great idea.