Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > ADOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

ADOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Alabama Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the ADOC system should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,504 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Alabama Department of Corrections - Security Levels

This info is from the ADOC Inmate Handbook from 2004, but I don't think it's changed.

ADOC Security Levels:

Level I (one) - Community work release centers or SIR; part of Frank Lee

Level II (two) - Community work centers or honor camps; includes Red Eagle, Elmore, JO Davis, the cattle ranch, Childersburg CWC, Loxley CWC, & part of Frank Lee

Level III (three) - Kilby (permanent party only) and Hamilton Aged & Infirmed

Level IV (four) - Bibb, Draper, Staton, Fountain, Ventress, Easterling, Bullock, Limestone

Level V (five) - Holman & St. Clair

Level VI (six) - Donaldson

Last edited by Lysbeth; 01-09-2009 at 12:36 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lysbeth For This Useful Post:
Jason'sMama (07-18-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Part of Frank Lee has been transitioned to a level one
The Following User Says Thank You to 1quietgirl! For This Useful Post:
Lysbeth (01-09-2009)
Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Oh really? Thanks, good to know!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 PM

This may be a dumb question and it may not be the right "thread" or area to ask it, but I am new and don't understand alot of this stuff yet. So I ask for your patience and understanding. My question is, who or what determines an inmates security level? I have a copy of the inmates summary and under security level it says "no classification record found". So what does that mean? Again, I am sorry if this question is out of line for this area.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
GO Yankees!!

There crime and sentence helps determine there security level. When they go to Kilby they get classified with a security level.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 AM
shelby5103

how do you find out which facility vermont inmate go to in alabama
Old 07-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Rarely does anyone know what facility they will be sent to until ADOC gets ready to transfer them from Kilby (the intake center where all male inmates initially go).
Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 PM
★ஐWORTH WAîTTîNG FORஐ★

I think that its still like that back because my fiance was at draper and they sent him to elmore which is a better camp than elmore. His classification officer said that he will be goin on work release soon because of hi behavior. Thing is he has a 22 year sentence with only 4 years served wtf??? Good is working in our favor and we are not questioning anything.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Daddy's Home

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysbeth View Post
This info is from the ADOC Inmate Handbook from 2004, but I don't think it's changed.

ADOC Security Levels:

Level I (one) - Community work release centers or SIR; part of Frank Lee

Level II (two) - Community work centers or honor camps; includes Red Eagle, Elmore, JO Davis, the cattle ranch, Childersburg CWC, Loxley CWC, & part of Frank Lee

Level III (three) - Kilby (permanent party only) and Hamilton Aged & Infirmed

Level IV (four) - Bibb, Draper, Staton, Fountain, Ventress, Easterling, Bullock, Limestone

Level V (five) - Holman & St. Clair

Level VI (six) - Donaldson

What is a a Level IV - What does that mean?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Level IV facilities hold mostly medium security inmates and some with minimum security classifications.

Levels V & VI are maximum security facilities - maximum security inmates don't go anywhere but Holman, St. Clair, or Donaldson. Those facilities hold some inmates with lesser security, but usually only because the inmate has been sent there for a specific program or some such. Although lately with the overcrowding problem, those facilities are holding more medium and other security inmates than they once did.

Last edited by Lysbeth; 09-17-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Daddy's Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysbeth View Post
Level IV facilities hold mostly medium security inmates and some with minimum security classifications.

Levels V & VI are maximum security facilities - maximum security inmates don't go anywhere but Holman, St. Clair, or Donaldson. Those facilities hold some inmates with lesser security, but usually only because the inmate has been sent there for a specific program or some such. Although lately with the overcrowding problem, those facilities are holding more medium and other security inmates than they once did.

Okay, cuz Termaine just got classified to a level 4 facility... he's still in Kilby (which he has been since June 17th) and he doesn't know when he's going to leave. So is this going to be less security than Kilby? Or more? I'm so confused.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesGurl View Post
Okay, cuz Termaine just got classified to a level 4 facility... he's still in Kilby (which he has been since June 17th) and he doesn't know when he's going to leave. So is this going to be less security than Kilby? Or more? I'm so confused.

I have never personally visited Kilby and only know mostly minor stuff about it (since we have been in the system 20 years and I came along 10 years into it) but since Kilby holds ALL male inmates since it's the reception center where everybody goes at first, I would assume the security is a little heavier there (in most areas anyway) and probably on par with the Level V camps.

The actual "amount" of security measures and processes varies from facility to facility and the security level of the facility doesn't have much to do with an inmate's security level other than the fact that the facility security level generally dictates what kind of inmates it will hold (tho again with overcrowding that varies a lot these days).

Minimum custody inmates don't have many restrictions and are allowed to be around things and people that upper level inmates are not, and the restrictions and allowances increase with Medium custody and again with Maximum custody.

Level V & VI facilities are Maximum security facilities and hold mostly Maximum custody inmates, but can hold lower custody levels.

Level IV facilities are Medium security facilities and don't generally hold inmates above Medium custody classification, and can hold lower custody levels.

Level III (I'm not sure about this but pretty sure), since it's just for Kilby and Hamilton A&I (sort of the ADOC "nursing home") holds all custody classifications (since virtually all male inmates come through Kilby to begin with, and all custody level inmates except Death Row inmates can go to Hamilton A&I if their health requires it). I would assume that technically Level III facilities are "Maximum security facilities" but probably Hamilton A&I isn't run much like a max facility since there's mostly sick people there.

Level II and below hold Medium and Minimum custody inmates and those approved for work release/etc.

Anyway, again, to answer your actual question wherever he goes will probably be a little more relaxed than Kilby in some ways, but may be a little more strict in others, 'cos they're all different. But being new, Kilby is hardest on the new inmates for a reason and most usually find that Kilby's the worst they'll ever have it and that wherever they go from there is a piece of cake.

Lots of guys have to go back through Kilby when being transferred to other facilities and dread it when they do because it's just a pain, but they are always harder on the brand new guys to the system - with established inmates just returning on their way to a transfer it's not usually that bad. And actually permanent party at Kilby (the ones that wind up staying there and not sent elsewhere) is actually pretty nice and relaxed, my guy went to permanent party briefly during one of his travels.

It's just mainly for the new guys that Kilby is so hard and strict, but they're that way for a reason.

Last edited by Lysbeth; 09-17-2009 at 06:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lysbeth For This Useful Post:
godparent (10-18-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Daddy's Home

He went in for burglury for 8 years and got out in 2007. He then caught a DV case with me and violated, so he went back to prison for the remaining time, and THEN they added 3 months and 27 days to his sentence. So he finally just got classified and he should be moving (so he says).
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesGurl View Post
He went in for burglury for 8 years and got out in 2007. He then caught a DV case with me and violated, so he went back to prison for the remaining time, and THEN they added 3 months and 27 days to his sentence. So he finally just got classified and he should be moving (so he says).
Oh, it's pretty much 99% that he'll be moved elsewhere. Only a handful actually stay at Kilby permanently.

If he's classified as Medium then more than likely he will go to either Draper, Ventress, Bibb, Limestone, Staton, Elmore, or Easterling. Probably not Easterling, but possible. It's also possible he could go to Perry County but it's probably going to be one of the others.

Actually he could go anywhere, but if classified with medium security, those are the most likely.

The question is when, but there's just so many dozens of factors that can have a bearing on when they're transported there's no way to even begin to suggest when.

But if he's already been classified now, it probably won't be long 'til he's transferred. Depends on where beds are available elsewhere, but they also always need the space at Kilby for the never-ending line of new inmates coming in as well as non-new ones going through there to transfer elsewhere.

Last edited by Lysbeth; 09-18-2009 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM

So, is State (Farquhar) Cattle Ranch a level 1 or 2?
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 PM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,545 Times in 6,753 Posts

Farquhar is a Level II security camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhelton View Post
So, is State (Farquhar) Cattle Ranch a level 1 or 2?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
vamom

Default new classifications.

Are some prisons in the process of being reclassified?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 PM

I don't know if i am doing this right or not. My husband was just transferred to ATEF, but while he was at Kilby he had a charge pending and was classified as level 4. Was his other charge taken care of? I didn't think he would be able to get anything like this with a charge pending,
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Happy To Serve Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,095 Times in 518 Posts

to PTO! We're glad you decided to join us. This is a family where there is always room for one more.

My son went to ATEF and is helped him see himself and what he has done and he didn't like it one bit, but it started him to take a serious look at himself.

As for the pending charge, I guess it's possible that the charge was dropped, but I really don't know. I'm sorry. Anyway, if you can get him an incentive box for Christmas, that will help him as they don't get a tremendous amount of food at ATEF.

If I may be of any help to you, do let me know, OK?

Michele
lisainengland (10-04-2013)