Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Default Federal holding facilities

does anybody know about federal holding facilities before being sent to your major prison for the remainder of the sentence?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM

My friend has been at a detention center run by CCA and now GEO for 9 months. He will be there until sentencing and then transfer to a federal facility after that.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Fairy Fed Mother

Thanked 3,219 Times in 1,391 Posts

What exactly do you want to know?

GO BULLS!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM

If I could jump in here with my own question...? Is it pretty standard that you would always be sent to a holding facility? I just assumed you were sentenced and shipped where you are going? I guess I have alot to learn....
Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Mrs Kelley

My husband was housed at a county jail utilized by the feds before he was transferred to his final destination
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedOffMom View Post
If I could jump in here with my own question...? Is it pretty standard that you would always be sent to a holding facility? I just assumed you were sentenced and shipped where you are going? I guess I have alot to learn....
It really depends on where you are and where you are going. When I was sentenced for a violation of my supervised release the US Marshalls put me in a local county jail before I was transferred to BOP. I went straight to my destination because it was close by. (In fact, I was transferred from the Marshall's van to the BOP bus on the airport tarmac with Con-Air in front of me.)

If someone were being transferred far away they would probably get a trip to a holding facility.
The Following User Says Thank You to TreyGeek For This Useful Post:
PissedOffMom (11-18-2008)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 PM

My friend was in the County jail for 5 months after violating his pre-trial release agreement, now he is in a CCA, federal holding facility. I think he had it better in County. He has been in Segregation and lockdown since he got there 3 weeks ago. What is the usual length of stay at the holding facilities before they move them to their designated facility?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:55 AM

It depends on the situation. If he is currently in a facility contracted by the feds, such as the county jail, and his designated facility is close, they will bus him straight to his designation. Otherwise, he will get "processed" at one of the federal transfer centers, such as Oklahoma, and then get shipped by plane or bus to his designated facility.

It's more about relieving the pressure from the county jails than anything else. It opens jail space at the county jail, and allows time for the designated facility to create bed space.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 PM

He thought he might go to OKC next to the transfer center. Does that mean that he won't be designated at Leavenworth USP? I was hoping that he would just move over there after being at the CCA, but for some reason when he moved from County he thought he might go to OKC after being at CCA Leavenworth for about 2 months. If they move him to OKC and then bus him or fly him somewhere else that will mean it is going to be farther away than we hoped.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGogh's Girl View Post
He thought he might go to OKC next to the transfer center. Does that mean that he won't be designated at Leavenworth USP? I was hoping that he would just move over there after being at the CCA, but for some reason when he moved from County he thought he might go to OKC after being at CCA Leavenworth for about 2 months. If they move him to OKC and then bus him or fly him somewhere else that will mean it is going to be farther away than we hoped.
Has he been sentenced yet? If not then he has not been designated. If yes, then they are in the process of designating him, or waiting to transport him, and he won't know where until after they tell him to bunk and junk and the Marshals have him cuffed.

The transfer centers like OKC only kick in after BOP designation. Where he is locked up prior to that has no relevance on where he is designated, only on how he will be transported there.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM

He was sentenced on September 8. He was already in the County jail at that time.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Federal Probation

County Jail with a Federal contract or an MDC. In NJ you goto County > MDC Brooklyn
And the wisdom to know the difference...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM

my son was held in county jail for 2 mons. where he committed the crime, then the u s marshall's came and got him and put him in a federal holding jail for another 4 mons. then
29 days after he was sentenced he was sent to federal prison.

Dear Lord,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things
I can not change, courage to change the things
I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 AM

Thank you for alll the replies. We are actually working on a plea agreement and I think his lawyer is not very good....were gonna get screwed in all sorts of ways on this deal, I am afraid.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I love him with my all!!!

Thanked 2,053 Times in 945 Posts

my man is at holding at butner,nc fci 2
Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Another one of the guys who worked at my old company who refused to co-operate (he ran) has been in Brooklyn MDC since January and is being sentenced this week. I've heard a lot about it through him if you want to know anything.

Last edited by johninnyc; 11-11-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Old 11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
waiting for transfer

Papi is being held at Atlanta City Detention Center (ACDC) awaiting federal trial, which is currently scheduled for March. It is my understanding that he will be held there until trial and sentencing are over. I've heard that even after sentencing, it can take a while to be transferred to prison.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Federal holding

What if you have a friend arrested for a federal crime and your not sure where he is. How can you find him or can you?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris'_girl
What if you have a friend arrested for a federal crime and your not sure where he is. How can you find him or can you?
Should be able to go to the bop site & use inmate locator. If he's not being moved right now it'll tell you. If it says he's in transit he is in the moving process.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM

My love was held in a county jail almost a year, then went into transit. The Feds lease bed space all over the country in county jails and privately ran prisons.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,937 Times in 4,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris'_girl View Post
If you know the location where he was arrested/charged, you could call the U.S. Marshals' office in that location and ask them where they house their pre-trial detainees. It could be a federal detention center or could be a county jail that contracts with the U.S. Marshals.