Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Mississippi News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Mississippi prison system.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Inmates write to pass an appropriate bill/and or re-instate s.b.2030,1993

The following posts are a cover letter and plea several inmates at Parchman are sending out to the Ms. State Senate,Gov.Barbor, american Chuck Middleton(rep), Bennett Malone (rep) chairperson over M.D.O.C. and the Senator in your area. Thank-you in advance for your help!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 AM

Default cover letter

The following letter of appeal to all government officals is in regard to allowing all M.D.O.C. who are serving mandatory sentances, and life sentances for crimes such as,first time armed robbery, first time burglary, first time sex offenders, first time murder,first time arson,first time kidnapping,sale charges,aggravated assault,to be allowed to have one chance at parole,probation,earned time credits (both work related and meritorious).And allow all if these first time offenders to have the chance to participate in alternative sentencing programs of house arrest,probation,early release (ERS) and parole.
A society that condemns a man on his first felony offense conviction to madatory sentences and/or madatory life sentences for any crime eliminates any chance for reform,or a chance at society,life liberty,and freedom,proves that society and its lawmakers have failed.
These new mandatory sentencing laws (SB 3028 1994 and SB 2175 1995) were implemented to severly punish repeated sex offenders,child molesters,serial rapist,serial murderers and other violent offenders.These laws were not implemented to condemn a man on a first time felony conviction to a mandatory or life sentence. To do so would be vindictive and ludicrous lawmaking.
The money spent to house an inmate at M.D.O.C. is estimated to be in excess of $25,000.00 dollars.This money is out of the taxpayer's pockets. We realize there is a need for the penitentiary system,but to house inmates at this cost,who with reform programs,fines,and probation fees, could be useful respectable citizens of this state,and who could add money to the state of Mississippi's already overblown budget, is insane.
Help us repeal these laws and to put the former laws regarding sentencing back into effect, retroactively from the date that they were stricken from the statue.
Please carefully concider these arguements.If you feel as we do that this is the time to do something about this situation then you must act now! Write your representative and to the Governor.Let them know that the money spent because of these laws could be better used elsewhere,or better yet kept in your own pockets.
Please pass an appropriate bill and/or reinstate S.B.2030,1993 retroactive back to August 23,1994,and please include in S.B.2511 all violent crimes first offenders mentioned above and in letter of plea,so all first time violent crime offenders can be eligible for parole. Thirty for thirty time credits and all prison reform programs.May God bless and protect you.
Sincerely,
the inmates of M.D.O.C. and their family,friends,and many concerned tax paying voters of the State of Mississippi.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,587 Times in 3,621 Posts

The link would not work for me
Old 10-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Formal plea

A FORMAL PLEA TO THE GOVERNOR AND LEGISLATORS OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI
FROM THE CONCERNED IMPRISONED MEN IN M.D.O.C.
Comes now the entire prison population (offenders),and their families,before the honorable Haley Barbour,Governor,and the M.D.O.C. administration,Mr.Christopher Epps,Commissioner,and the Mississippi legislature,congressmen,lawmakers,etc. and submit their humble plea to request that these lawmakers please reinstate the old ten year madatory sentencing law statute S.B.2030 supp. 1993,1972 cade ann. M.C.A. state statute 47-5-138,139. which allows certain violent crime offenders with charges of possession of controlled substances with intent to distribute,sex crimes, murder and robbery crimes etc. and other violent crime offenders especially first time offenders violent crime offenders and offenders with life sentences, to enjoy and exercise the Alternative sentencing prison reform programs,such as parole and probation.And the earned time credit 30 days earned for 30 days worked, and educational and work programs.The reinstatement of this old law S.B.2030 1993 1972,M.C.A.47-7-3. M.C.A. 47-5-138, 139 1993 will also alleviate the ever present inmate population prison overcrowding situation, and the tax burden on the citizen of Mississippi as well as eliminate the double standard that exists in these new violent crime offenders act. S.B.3028 supp 1994, violent crime offenders mandatory sentencing and M.C.A.47-7-3 supp 1994,M.C.A.47-5-138,139 and the S.B.2175 supp 1995 (85% truth in sentencing bill) which create a double standard between the sect of non-violent crime offenders,and the sect of violent crime offenders.By allowing these "non violent" crime offenders to enjoy alternative sentencing, prison reform programs such as parole,probation,house arrest, work and educational programs, and the 30 for 30 earned time credit which the mandatory sentencing act law and statue S.B.3028 1994,M.C.A. 47-7-3 supp 1994,M.C.A. 47-5-138,139 supp 1995 eliminate any possibility for the following violent crime offenders,carjacking,murder,robbery,armed robbery, sex crimes and manufacturing and possession with intent to distribute etc. to recieve or exercise or participate in any prison reform programs, no parole,no probation,no house arrest,no 30 days for 30 days program and also prohibits sex offenders and first time offenders of violent crimes or first time offenders with a life sentence from enjoying and participating in any prison reform programs etc. which create the inmate prison overcrowding present situation and a tax burden on all citizens of Mississippi.
certainly the lawmakers of Mississippi did not intend for these new mandatory sentencing laws to prohibit a first time offfender,even a first time violent offender,and habitual offenders a chance at parole or probation.Or to be able to prove themselves worthy of release by participating in the earned time,good time credit program,or to keep them from any educational benefits,which would surely prohibit them from a chance at society or life, freedom,family,loved ones or church family. Or to prevent them from learning a new carreer.What about the 3 strikes law for first time violent crime offenders?
Most of us who are incarcerated know that we did wrong.We simply want and need the chance to prove not only to you but to ourselves that we can change and become good citizens of this our State.Wouldn't our citizens rather have released felons who had a chance to prove themselves worthy,and who stayed out of trouble who participated in educational,work,and earned good time programs successfully,than to have released prisoners who just sat back and did their time,learned nothing and achieved nothing.There is no incentive to change or to be a responsible citizen.
we humbly ask that you review this problem,and use common sense to realize that as of now there is no incentive for rehabilitation,but that most of us are just like you.We messed up and we had to be punished for it. But when does the punisment end? when do we get to be productive citizens again? Or are we doomed to recidivism and go through all of this again.We hope that you will reconsider the eligibility of offenders of sex crimes,robbery,possession with intent,murder, and habitual offenders to participate in earned time programs.After all we are all convicted felons.Please help pass S.B.2511 and any/or appropiate bill that would include all prison reform programs,parole, and earned time that keeps the prisons from being overcrowded.The present laws and MDOC procedures are ambiguous,thus creating an unequal application of the law guaranteed by the US constitution 14th amendment and 5th amendment,disenfranchising these inmates and creating a miscarriage of justice,which would be in the public interest to correct.
Respectfully and Humbly submitted by:
Author Ken Radalair
and
(your name here)
Old 10-12-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickletone View Post
The following posts are a cover letter and plea several inmates at Parchman are sending out to the Ms. State Senate,Gov.Barbor, american Chuck Middleton(rep), Bennett Malone (rep) chairperson over M.D.O.C. and the Senator in your area. Thank-you in advance for your help!
Don't know what the problem is~it worked for me yesterday when i tried it but today it won't!?! Hopefully I'll get to talk to him today and see what the problem is.As soon as I find out the problem an how to fix it I'll post
Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM

Okay talked to my son last night and the inmate who gave him the info got sent to the hole so can't get correct info about the link yet. He's gonna ask around and see if any of his cellies know the correct one. Hopefully Jonathan,Glamma, or Kat can come by soon and delete that worthless link for me! If any of you would atleast copy the letters and send them to your local Reps,Gov. and Mr. Epps maybe (i know a way long shot!) someone will listen. Just gotta pray God will unplug their ears! Thanx Fam!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,587 Times in 3,621 Posts

I removed the link hon
Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Matt's mom

This is the first time I have been on Prison Talk in several days. When I read this I think my heart was overwhelmed. Yes I will definitely write to whom ever I can. My son will surely be able to have a second chance, someone will look at his record and his behavior since being in jail and prison, and realize he made a horrible decision and followed the wrong people which sent him to prison for the rest of his life. I believe he can come out of there and never make these mistakes again.
I have some hope again, it has been very hard to accept this for my son and our family.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:11 PM

chickletone I'm already copying them! This too will give my son a second chance that we have been praying for for 9 years!!!
"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...to bind up and heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the [physical and spiritual] captives and the opening of the prison and of the eyes to those who are bound."
Isaiah 61:1
Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Here's a list of Representatives on the Corrections Committee 2008-2011.

Tracy Arinder (Dem)
1792 Kalem Road
Morton, MS 39117
601) 732-2626

Lester "Bubba" Carpenter (Rep)
8 Carpenter Drive
Burnsville, MS 38833
(601) 359-3374

Linda F Coleman (Dem)
1389 Cedar Road
Mound Bayou, MS 38762

Reecy L Dickson (Dem)
P. O. Box 293
Macon, MS 39341
(662) 352-6582 *Kemper, Lauderdale, Noxubee

Frances Fredericks (Dem) public health and corrections
p.o. Box 2305
Gulfport, MS 39505
(228) 864-9319 (601) 359 9466 hfrierson@house.ms.gov

Andy Gipson (rep)
414 Holly Grove Circle
Braxton, MS 39044
(6091) 949-4789 (601) 359-9488 agipson@house.ms.gov

Robert Huddleson (Dem)
p.o. Box 426
Sumner, MS 38957
(662) 375-8692 (601) 359-3363
rhuddleson@house.ms.gov

Sherra Hillman Lane (Dem)
p.o. Box 971
Waynesboro, MS 39367
slane@house.ms.gov
(601) 359- 2861

Bennett Malone (Dem)
p.o. Box 528
Carthage, MS 39051
(601) 298-9576 (601) 359-3367 bmalone@house.ms.gov

John M. Mayo
803 West second Street
Clarksdale, MS 38614
(662) 902-8633 (601) 359-3321 jmayo@house.ms.gov

John L. Moore (rep)
p.o. Box 20
Brandon, MS 39043
(601) 591) 4100 (601) 359-3311
jmoore@house.ms.gov

Russ C. Nowell (Dem)
4226 N. Columbus Ave. *corrections & *Juv Justice Commettee
Louisville, MS 39339
(662) 779-4113 (662) 773-4702
rnowell@house.ms.gov

Deryk Parker (Dem)
168 Easterling Road
Lucedale, MS 39452
(601) 359-9486

Omeria Scott (Dem)
615 E. 19th street
Laurel, MS 39440
(601) 359-3362 oscott@house.ms.gov

Sara Richardson Thomas (Dem) *Sunflower County
512 BB King Road *education
Indianola, MS 38751 *corrections
sthomas@house.ms.gov

J Shaun Walley (Dem) *Bank and finance
2043 Herndon Road *corrections
Leaksville, MS 39451 *education
(601) 606-5603 (601) 394-2985 (601) 359-2425
jwalley@house.ms.gov

Linda Whittington (Dem)
P.o. Box 185
Schlater, MD 38952
(662) 658-1241 (601) 359-2845 lwhittington@house.ms.gov
"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...to bind up and heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the [physical and spiritual] captives and the opening of the prison and of the eyes to those who are bound."

Last edited by patticake; 11-08-2008 at 05:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to patticake For This Useful Post:
chickletone (11-13-2008)
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Can anyone advise on the status of this Bill

Can anyone advise what I need to do to get on board with this Bill. I have been trying to work with some of our Senators and House members to get a similar Bill passed in Mississippi but have not had much luck. Someone please tell me what to do to help with this!

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Sondra4Thalia, all I can say is make mulitple copies of the letter and mail mail mail,and have as many people you can sign and mail them also! We really need to make an impact on everyone or this will just get showed to the side again.The inmates are hoping they will address this before they go on their holiday break.If not atleast the first part of the year. I've sent copies of the letter to several inmates in Parchman so they can sign and mail. The more mail the harder it will be to ignore.Patty~ bless ya girl! Didn't even think about posting the addresses for everyone else,since they get mail from me every week I jus (like a dummy)assumed everyone already knew where to send the letters! Again thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM

At the care and share Mississippi Cure meetings , thurs nights 6:30 p until 8 p, we are organizing a big mail out for every monday from dec 4th thru mon march 30th...they go back into session on Jan 5th, 2009 and we want their mail full when they go back and every mon we mail again, so they don't forget us the whole time they are in session!!!
My whole extended family are helping send out mine, so they can count on at least 10 every monday with my son's name and mdoc # on it! Any one that wants to jump on board with this is more than welcome, pm me for more details or show up at the meeting...cure 800 # is currently out of connection at this moment. Hope to be up and running soon.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Emails for each ( except Arinder ) following in order as referenced above:

lwhittington@house.ms.gov,
jwalley@house.ms.gov,
sthomas@house.ms.gov,
oscott@house.ms.gov,
rnowell@house.ms.gov,
hfrierson@house.ms.gov,
jmoore@house.ms.gov,
jmayo@house.ms.gov,
bmalone@house.ms.gov,
slane@house.ms.gov,
rhuddleston@house.ms.gov
agipson@house.ms.gov,
lcarpenter@house.ms.gov,
lcoleman@house.ms.gov,
rdickson@house.ms.gov

My attempt to email all resulted in a return of R Huddleston.
The Following User Says Thank You to msearp99 For This Useful Post:
patticake (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM

That's great! thanks for the e-mail list...more information given the better!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Mississippi needs to do something to clear up their prison budget.