Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Whoever said LUV was easy

Default SafP - Gateway Philosophy??

My husband is being sent to SafP and I've read some real horror stories and others that are better, just depending, so I'm a bit scared for him.

I did read though when they first get there before they can get out of orientation they must memorize the Gateway Philosophy, does anyone have this Philosophy?? I'm interested in reading it and since he's just sitting in County it would give him something to do to get a head start.

Thank you for your time! Any help or stories about SafP would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 09:15 AM

Hi and welcome to PTO!

Yes, there are many opinions about SAFP. My son's experience is one of the positive ones. Even though he says there were many, many things he did not agree with regarding the program he had the mind set that he was the one that made the mistake to get himself sent to SAFP and he had to deal with it. You are correct about the orientation phase and I will ask my son if he can remember the philosophy and I will PM you. He is still sleeping! He stayed up to late with his little brother who is home for the weekend from college playing Wii! SAFP is a behavior modification program not a drug rehab. The client as they are called learns what their triggers are that bring upon negative behavior. My son advice when asked is to try and stay to yourself, follow the rules, stay out of the drama that can be stirred up my other clients and take the time to self reflect. My son has been home now for over two years and is doing wonderfully. I will get back to you soon, so my son can give you the first hand experience.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BB's Mom For This Useful Post:
Kay (09-28-2008), mamajmg (09-28-2008), martica (03-31-2009)
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 729 Posts

Welcome to PTO ~ a wonderful place for support, info and friendships!

As BB's mom has already explained - SAFP is a behavior modification program and some of the methods can be challenging. My son was in safp also. As he explained some of the more questionable practices, we tried to look beyond the surface and look for an understanding to how it was to benefit him. And though SAFP is not a cure all it is a beginning for changing our loved ones addictive behaviors.

The Gateway Philosophy is part of the orientation phase. It's not a long piece to memorize and I believe it's part of what they study as a group during the phase.

I would like to add that to benefit from the program you have to be ready and open to make the changes. I can't tell you how many times my son would tell me "Mom, not everyone is here for the same reason - they're just doing their time" . And being open to the program doesn't guarantee full recovery from ones addictions. But as I said, it is a beginning and for our situation it helped my son tremendously. He will be an addict for the rest of his life but he is drug free and works at staying that way each and every day.

If I can be of any help please feel free to let me know!

Janice

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamajmg For This Useful Post:
Barb57 (09-28-2008), BB's Mom (09-30-2008), Kay (09-28-2008)
Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Missin my Wishbone

My hubby is in SAFP at Jester I. He has been there a month and still in Phase I. He has told me quite a bit about their group sessions, "encountering" "pulling up" etc. I asked him lots of questions. He said he has learned some good things so far. He does think some of the methods are crazy and he was snickering about a couple of them that he thinks are just down right silly.....but he has an attitude of "hey whatever it takes" so he says its not too bad. He said there is a zero tolerance for acting out and that people do try pushing your limits but he said no one there is worth him having to stay longer. His overall attitude is good and he seemed to be doing fine. He has gotten FAT though....he has gained about 30-40 lbs since JUne when he first went to county. Part of that is from not smoking and eating snacks from commisary and part of it is his meds. Depekote has that side effect sometimes.
I dont doubt that some of the horror stories are true but I really think its personal attitude that makes the most difference in their recovery and outcome!
I hope he continues to stay positive. Im not sure I would be able to.
Carrie
The Following User Says Thank You to wishbonesgirl For This Useful Post:
harper506 (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Hi Carrie,

Glad to hear your hubby is doing well. My son who is at Estelle just got to Phase III. He has his ups and downs, but like your husband, he realizes that no one is worth getting kicked out of the program.

I pray our loved ones will continue to do their best.

Take care and stay strong.

Fran
Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Here is the Gateway Philosophy statement:

We are here because there is no refuge, finally, from ourselves.
Until people confront themselves in the eyes and hearts of others, they are running.
Until they suffer others to share their secrets, they have no safety from them.
Afraid to be known, they can know neither themselves nor any other; they will be alone.

Where else but in our common ground can we find such a mirror?
Here, together, people can at last appear clearly to themselves-not as the giant of their dreams, nor the dwarfs of their fears – but as individuals, part of a whole, with a share in its purpose.

In this ground we can each take root and grow, not alone anymore as in death, but alive to ourselves and to others.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kwolf150 For This Useful Post:
ADGJJT (10-05-2008), mamajmg (10-04-2008), martica (03-31-2009), richsgirl_4life (03-29-2009), tabu71 (10-11-2008)
Old 10-04-2008, 07:12 PM

They also have to memorize the first three steps of AA:

1) We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2) Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwolf150 For This Useful Post:
ADGJJT (10-05-2008), mamajmg (10-04-2008), tabu71 (10-11-2008)
Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
keepn home fires burning

i want to leave a comment so maybe others may follow here in search of what treatment our boys are receiving.. . i think this is very important to us as well. i have faith that mine is learning his mistakes were his own and that he has the power to make his life as wonderful as God planned it to be from the start. God bless us ALL in our search of understanding what we have become and what we will be.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Missin my Wishbone

I saw my husband yesterday...he has 60 days left of his 9months at SAFP. We talked about his "treatment" a lot yesterday. He said in 7 months all he has heard is the same thing over and over. He said its becoming like BLAH BLAH BLAH when they talk. He said everything useful he learned he applied and throws the rest away. I truly believe he will stay clean when he gets home. I attribute that to the seperation from his family and 2 deaths of loved ones he never got to say goodbye too. It has been so hard for him he NEVER wants to go back and the fact that he has come to terms with his addiction and how it has afffected his and others lives. Did Gateway teach him this? I have my doubts but certainly him being forced to confront the issue sober has given him lots of time to think things through. I wish them all great success after SAFP.
I hope the awfulness of being there is forever burned in his brain so he will stay clean but I pray that all the brainwashing crap they put in their heads just fades away
The Following User Says Thank You to wishbonesgirl For This Useful Post:
tabu71 (03-30-2009)
Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I walk by faith

My daughter s in Halbert, We have seen here twice since she has been there which in now over a month, It is strict and somethings I dont agree with but she is very upbeat, She says she can learn something where ever she is, She is helping to teach some to read, and she really likes that, I Know she will do fine as long as she keeps a postive outlook, Even though I miss her with all my heart. I hate that its so far away, My heart goes out to all those that have to deal with this in there lives. May God bless each of you and your loved ones

always Renee
Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away.

God does nothing in vain.

He knows what he is about.