Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TX State Jails, Private Prisons, Treatment & Parole Facilities Forums > San Saba Transfer Facility - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,157 Times in 2,583 Posts
Default San Saba Unit - Texas Prison - need general info

Does anyone have any info on San Saba Unit. The TDCJ web site shows it houses 44 offenders, has 7 employees, no medical, no programs etc and that it is a transfer unit. It says this about capacity.
Maximum Capacity:
44 (Work crew capacity only)
I have a friend whose son was just sent here. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Kay

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
here we go again :(
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,293 Times in 588 Posts

I have never heard of it. 44 people...wow thats not very many at all
Old 09-26-2008, 08:46 AM

San Saba Unit used to be used for TYC it is a new facility in the middle of no were. From what I hear it is just a transfer facility now. The town of San Saba has less than 5000 people.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Drifting on a memory...

San Saba started out as a TDC...J unit back in May of 1992....if my memory is correct...and it was a Transfer Unit then..in 94' it went TYC....and that did not work very well...and just recently it went back TDC..J...

...that might be a reason it has not that many Inmates yet...it is a very small Unit...and there is really not much there..so yes it can only be a Transfer Unit...the Unit can only hold about 500 or so Inmates...at least that's how many there were in 93'..

..it is of course in the middle of NOWHERE..about an hour from Brownwood..which is West of San Saba..and one hour 20minutes going West from Killeen...and an hour and a half or so from Gatesville..

...Hope this helps a little??

“I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Taty765 For This Useful Post:
Kay (09-27-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 PM

Default San Saba

Hey Guys,don't knock San Saba if you haven't haven't been to the Hill Country of Texas. I live about 30 miles from San Saba and yes we are all real small country towns.The deer hunters think it is wonderful.My town is the Deer Capital of Texas.There isn't much in San Saba,not even a hospital.It is mainly a ranching county,as is the county I live in.
I don't know much about the prison over there.I know it was built back when people started building these private owned prisons.I think it was closed for a good while.I saw a big prison bus just the other day headed that away.
I can find out more about it if you would like.I have a friend who works in the Sheriff's office. Just let me know what you need to know.Even us Rednecks have phones and computers.LOL
Let me know if I can help.
Barb57
The Following User Says Thank You to Barb57 For This Useful Post:
Kay (09-27-2008)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Donation Award 

You go Barb, there is nothing but wonderful things to say about living in a small town.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Barb Where do you live. Most of my family is from Brady and I lived in Rochelle for about a year. I have a cousin that works at the San Saba facility.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Default San Saba

Hi ! I live in Llano,pop.about 3,000 in the city. The Highland Lakes are also in Llano County. I was born and raised here and wouldn't change it for any place.
I know Brady well.Llano has always played football against Brady.
While everyone fights traffic,I can sit on my proach and watch the deer and turkey play.We have 3 stop lights but not many stores.
Barb.............. I will try to get some info. on the prison in San Saba.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barb57 For This Useful Post:
Kay (09-27-2008)
Old 09-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Texas Member
Donation Award 

It sounds like this Unit is going through a similar situation as the Marlin Unit went through back in July when hubby transferred there. If it is, the unit may stay small and be for low risk offenders (like Marlin). On the website Marlin is still listed as only having 44 inmates (I know there are 250 regular inmates and still about 150 evacuees from a HWH near Houston)and 17 emloyees. (LOTS more than that for sure)

It takes a while for these units to get all of the systems in place, but I would not trade hubby being there for the world.

"But seek first His kingdom and his rightiousness, and all these things will be given unto you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry abut itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Donation Award 

Growing up, we kept a deer lease near San Saba for years--I remember armadillos the size of an English bulldog--flippin' HUGE!
Later, after I'd married and had kids, we'd spend Thanksgiving week in Horseshoe Bay in Marble Falls and make day trips to all the surrounding areas. It was a tradition until I divorced in 2003.
ANYWHO--all this to say the Hill country is my favorite place in Texas. Dillon and I had talked of living there one day, but tdc may have ruined that for me--Dillon is at Lockhart and he said he wants nothing more to do with that area once he's out.
Just gotta give him some time, I reckon--wait, that didn't sound right, he's ALREADY been given some time...y'all know what I meant!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 AM

I like Llano also gotta have your COOPERS BBQ. Everytime I go visit my family down there I always have to stop and eat there. I spent all my summers in that area growning up. My dad used to cut fire wood in San Saba and Llano when I was growning up.

From what I hear the San Saba Unit is really laid back. I will try to get ahold of my cousin and see what all she has to say about it.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Unhappy

my husband was just tranfered over there i dont know to much about it either i was hoping to get some info on it but havent really gotten help either good luck 2 u
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM

I just receieved a letter from my son who just got to San Saba he said it is a college unit everyone there goes to school he also said no one over about 25 yrs old in there. I have yet to receive a call from him in over three months in tx prison in which time he is now in his fourth unit. Can anyone tell me if they have phones in prison in tx. I know other people who have gone to prison in many states and there was always ample opportunity to telephone people.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
missing my son

Default son got moved to san saba

i just got a letter from my son and he was transfered to san saba.. he said they dont have phones yet not till sept..i cant find out any info about visitations,,, does anyone know anything or where i can find something out????
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Default san saba unit?

so my boyfriend is currently in bonham texas and he just told me that he's being moved to san saba to take college classes.. does anyone have any info about this place? is it good? i really hope so cause he's really trying to better himself!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 AM
The Bird will soon fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaabc View Post
so my boyfriend is currently in bonham texas and he just told me that he's being moved to san saba to take college classes.. does anyone have any info about this place? is it good? i really hope so cause he's really trying to better himself!
Hey, I am sure you have gotten your answer yet, but if not - San Saba is actually a pretty good unit. My hubby is there and he is taking classes and is doing really well. He took English Comp and their book to read was Harry Potter! I told him I was not doing his homework for him but I would tell him what I thought of the movie! LOL
Anyways, PM if you have any questions...

The Following User Says Thank You to birdsgirl For This Useful Post:
mandaabc (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

thankk you veryy much !
because ihadn't gotten any answers until now! lol
he acatually just got moved about 2 weeks ago.. he said it was okay he just has to get used to it. He said there were more guys his age and he was used to being around the old guyss in the other one he was in lol and i'm waiting for him to write me back and tell me about the classes! i'm sure he'll get used to it tho. he's smart so he shouldnt have a problem with work and reading lol but thanks again
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
thankk you veryy much !
because ihadn't gotten any answers until now! lol
he acatually just got moved about 2 weeks ago.. he said it was okay he just has to get used to it. He said there were more guys his age and he was used to being around the old guyss in the other one he was in lol and i'm waiting for him to write me back and tell me about the classes! i'm sure he'll get used to it tho. he's smart so he shouldnt have a problem with work and reading lol but thanks again
Your boyfriend was moved around the same time period my husband was moved to San Saba. I don't know if you're boyfriend is taking classes but my husband is still in the process of whatever to start taking classes. I wonder if your boyfriend is in the process or actually taking classes because my husband told me that the next round of classes don't start until Late March. Hmm...? Keep us posted!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM

well i got a letter from him and ithink your husbands right lol cause he hasnt started classes yet but he said he was sometime soon. so im sure it probably is in march!
The Following User Says Thank You to mandaabc For This Useful Post:
JPrasil (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
well i got a letter from him and ithink your husbands right lol cause he hasnt started classes yet but he said he was sometime soon. so im sure it probably is in march!
Thank you for letting me know. Glad to know he's not alone on waiting for the classes to start. We're deciding if we want to have him start classes in March or wait until the Summer because he's up for Parole. Rumor has it if you're in classes at San Saba and go up for Parole you get a Set-off. We're not completely sure how true it is but we're afraid to do anything because of it. Nonetheless I'm happy you received a letter and good luck to you two and his classes!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 AM

by saying "set off", what exactly do you mean? lol but yeaa he doesnt see parole till may of 2012 so we still have a year to go :/ but thank you! and good luck to you and your husband as well
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
The Bird will soon fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrasil View Post
Thank you for letting me know. Glad to know he's not alone on waiting for the classes to start. We're deciding if we want to have him start classes in March or wait until the Summer because he's up for Parole. Rumor has it if you're in classes at San Saba and go up for Parole you get a Set-off. We're not completely sure how true it is but we're afraid to do anything because of it. Nonetheless I'm happy you received a letter and good luck to you two and his classes!
That is interesting...I wonder how much credit that rumor has. My hubby started classes in January but he is done in March so the classes don't last long at all. I think he decided to go ahead with the classes because even though he's waiting on an answer from parole, they said we won't have an answer until April so he figured he was OK to take the classes. He did say that the teachers are really cool and they work with you. If that gives ya'll any comfort! I hope he doesn't get a set-off because that would burst my big ole bubble but I guess we deal with it when it comes!

The Following User Says Thank You to birdsgirl For This Useful Post:
JPrasil (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsgirl View Post
That is interesting...I wonder how much credit that rumor has. My hubby started classes in January but he is done in March so the classes don't last long at all. I think he decided to go ahead with the classes because even though he's waiting on an answer from parole, they said we won't have an answer until April so he figured he was OK to take the classes. He did say that the teachers are really cool and they work with you. If that gives ya'll any comfort! I hope he doesn't get a set-off because that would burst my big ole bubble but I guess we deal with it when it comes!
I wonder that too. So far he's going by other Inmate's Parole experiences basically what the rumor is on the inside. This is specifically what we hear about San Saba, so if your guy is at another unit then there's probably a difference in opinion/view with Parole and classes.

We figured it has to do with the Grant he was eligible for through TDCJ. It makes sense because I talked with State Committee and they tell me they send Inmates to San Saba because they qualify for a educational opportunities and educational grant and to receive it you have to meet certain guidelines (be under a certain age, have a release date within a number of years, and so on). They emphasized the grant when I spoke with them. Also, they told me that it's rare to receive it. I think about it
especially with budget cuts going around this might be a bigger consideration with Parole. We think they want the Inmates to use up the grant and finish before receiving/getting Parole or being released--that's our guess. I don't know if your guy received the any grant to take classes (or is or will paying out of pocket).

We think once he applies for the grant and is granted then he's pretty much stuck until he finishes the courses and use up the money. The next round of classes start in March (which makes sense with them finishing in January). Afterward, my husband tells me the summer is when he can take classes.

I wish you two luck on Parole !

Last edited by JPrasil; 02-17-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
by saying "set off", what exactly do you mean? lol but yeaa he doesnt see parole till may of 2012 so we still have a year to go :/ but thank you! and good luck to you and your husband as well
A Set off is an informal term for Next Review Date (see "NR"). Parole vote on and set another Review Date to be between 1 year to 5 years which depends on a lot of factors--it's up to the Parole Board.

May 2012 is not bad! I wish you tons of luck and who knows by then he can have classes completed and be on his way home to you ! Good luck!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 AM

well ihope it works out well, i'm sure it will! as long as he's doing good in there everything should be good but idont like this whole set off thing lol