Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Federal Student Aid money IS available for felons

I have seen some discussion here, and it looks like there is a lot of confusion on this subject. Here is some clarification.

First, the Federal Student Aid program (called "Title 4" or "Title IV" by college financial aid folks) includes free money from the government in the form of Pell Grants, as well as subsidized and unsubsidized federal student loans (which must be repaid after graduation).

There are three situations which could render a person ineligible to receive any Federal Student Aid:
1. Not a US citizen
2. Defaulted on a previous student loan
3. Convicted of a felony drug crime while enrolled as a student, and while receiving federal student aid money.

YOU ARE STILL ELIGIBLE FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID MONEY IF:
1. Your felony conviction is not drug-related, or
2. Your felony drug conviction happened while you were NOT a student, or
3. Your felony drug conviction happened while you were a student, but during a time in which you were not using Title IV money (if you paid for your classes using cash or private scholarships).

The law on this is very specific. If you were arrested and charged for a drug crime while you were in college, but not actually convicted until later (during a semester when you were not enrolled), you are still in the clear. Even in the rare situation where someone was convicted of a drug crime while receiving student aid money, you can still become re-eligible for future aid if you completed an approved treatment/rehab program and successfully graduated from it (RDAP qualifies).

I hope this clears up some confusion, and encourages more people to seek out higher education. Let me know if you have more questions on this topic.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ericjourney For This Useful Post:
alwaysgrateful (11-10-2008), boflipflops36 (09-30-2008), eveym08 (03-19-2009), jeswannabhiswyf (09-28-2008), KennyKamm (10-27-2008), Maushel (09-04-2013), moma k (12-01-2008), reisro (12-12-2013), smfm (08-19-2009), space tourist (01-01-2009), T'sBabygirl (09-27-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

The only people who cannot get FEDERAL aid are felons convicted of a drug offense.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

So this is probably dumb but can he get it while he's in? What about when he's out but on probation?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

No, he Bif his crime was drug releated then no and if itis drug releated there are certan conditions he must meet like the original posted posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'sBabygirl View Post
So this is probably dumb but can he get it while he's in? What about when he's out but on probation?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Donation Award 

Federal aid is not available to inmates who are incarcerated. However, as long as their conviction is not drug related they are eligible while on parole or probation.
T'sBabygirl (09-30-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,030 Times in 528 Posts

This was a very useful post. My brother is in on a drug related conviction, but if I'm understanding this correctly, because he has never been to college before (not convicted while receiving aide) he should qualify for student aide when he is home in 2011. Sweet. My fiance too, but his crime is not drug related.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Banned

That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeswannabhiswyf View Post
This was a very useful post. My brother is in on a drug related conviction, but if I'm understanding this correctly, because he has never been to college before (not convicted while receiving aide) he should qualify for student aide when he is home in 2011. Sweet. My fiance too, but his crime is not drug related.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 712 Posts

ok, i am confused. some posts are saying that a felon with a drug convicted offense cannot get federal student aid no matter what, some seem to be saying that as long as he or she was not convicted of the offense while they were a student in college or recieving federal student monies, they can recieve the aid.

please clarify one more time for those of us who are stupid, which is it?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

If they were a student and WAS not receiving federal aid when they got convicted they can qualify for federal aid.

eXAMPLE, HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT GRADUATES HIGH SCHOOL AND GOES ONTO COLLEge, parents paid cah their first years. Student decided he wanted to sell drugs and got caught, got prosecuted. Since his parents paid cash he qill qualify for aid because he was not reciving any federal funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschris View Post
ok, i am confused. some posts are saying that a felon with a drug convicted offense cannot get federal student aid no matter what, some seem to be saying that as long as he or she was not convicted of the offense while they were a student in college or recieving federal student monies, they can recieve the aid.

please clarify one more time for those of us who are stupid, which is it?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM

justvicki--
You mentioned that federal student aid is not available to prisoners while they are incarcerated. What is your source for this information? The FAFSA website, and my training as a college admissions officer, contradict this, indicating that student aid IS available regardless of whether you're incarcerated.

Only if you were convicted of a drug felony while currently receiving federal aid would you be excluded. You would however become eligible after completing RDAP, even if you were not yet released from prison.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
True Love Waits.......

Okay so my fiance just asked me about a week ago to look into getting federal student aid money for when he is released. Where do I go to get more information on this? He will be getting out on Jan. 8, 2009. His charge is not drug releated. He is currently working on getting his GED right now and will have it by his release date. Can someone give me the website I can go to so I can look into this right away for him. He wants to start classes in the spring semester so hopefully I can get information for him so he can do that. Thank you
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

First you need to start at fafsa.gov and fill out the forms. This can be done online if you know his social and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamietrevino23 View Post
Okay so my fiance just asked me about a week ago to look into getting federal student aid money for when he is released. Where do I go to get more information on this? He will be getting out on Jan. 8, 2009. His charge is not drug releated. He is currently working on getting his GED right now and will have it by his release date. Can someone give me the website I can go to so I can look into this right away for him. He wants to start classes in the spring semester so hopefully I can get information for him so he can do that. Thank you
Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM

This is very helpful. I was unclear of this. My boyfriend is currently in prison for a felony drug conviction and is interested in taking correspondence classes. I told him I didn't think he was eligible for financial aid because of his conviction. I am now researching to help him receive an worthy education while incarcerated. Do you know where I could get information on what colleges/universities offer correspondence classes to prison inmates??
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM

What is RDAP?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Lightbulb Rdap

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmama View Post
What is RDAP?

That is the Drug Program. Successful completion will reduce the time on one's sentence.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Donation Award 

While incarcerated, I was always told that I was not eligible for any type of student loan until after my discharge. I was told this time and again and at more than one facility. Once paroled, I did apply for students loans and was able to complete my degree.

Just tonight I found the attached information that is distributed by the US Department of Education and it is dated December 2007. It seems there is limited availability of funds to incarcerated individuals. Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion regarding this matter.

Last edited by justvicki; 11-19-2008 at 03:43 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justvicki For This Useful Post:
alwaysgrateful (11-19-2008), reisro (12-12-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM

My son is in Wheeler Unit in Texas and wants to go to community college but someone there told him that TDCJ does not do college anymore.We know of some people who got an associate degree while in Texas prison. Where and who could he write to find out if he can go to community college? Thank you, Sgranny
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM

They still do college. My guy is in his now. Im sure he has to be approved for them. I would say he should submit an I60 to his unit and ask what the process is to get started.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Stmpnk.dad

Thank you for your research. You saved me so much time. God bless and Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.