Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Info & Self Surrendering
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal Prison Info & Self Surrendering Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Estill, SC Federal Prison Camp

Does anyone have any information on the Federal Prison Camp in Estill, South Carolina? Any information at all would be very much appreciated. Pretty much anything that anyone knows about this FPC is needed because I know very little about this FPC. Does it have a fence, what type recreation, anything bad about this particular FPC etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Hey there,

I just returned home from FPC Estill. Are you still around? If so, I'd be happy to answer your questions. Take care.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Maryweather View Post
Hey there,

I just returned home from FPC Estill. Are you still around? If so, I'd be happy to answer your questions. Take care.
I, too, find very little information on Estill and would like some information. My loved one was just transferred there. I would like to know what to expect. Can you help me?

Last edited by jlb1326; 05-31-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1326 View Post
I, too, find very little information on Estill and would like some information. My loved one was just transferred there. I would like to know what to expect. Can you help me?
Absolutely. I'm happy to help. Is your loved one headed to the camp? I was in the camp, so that's really all I can tell you about.

I had never been to prison before ( I don't recommend it ) but many guys told me that the camp there has basically become a low or even medium. The place has huge barbed wire fences all around it, which I wasn't expecting. There is absolutely no weight lifting equipment there, so you're forced to walk the track or do pushups to pass time. It's unfortunate because a lot of guys do their time by working out. The odd thing is that the Medium across the way still has weights.

The library is a total joke. Though a lot of guys get various magazines and are good about sharing em. There are NO education programs there. I met a lot of guys who didn't even have a GED. They basically just give you a GED book and let you study it all on your own. There are no real classes to speak of. The food is, well it's indescribable. I worked in the kitchen and it was quite common for us to only have 3 of 10 ingredients a recipe called for. Again, the medium has all of the ingredients they need. The thinking is that nobody in the camp will do anything, whereas the medium guys will raise hell if they aren't treated right.

The medical there is downright criminal and I've heard it's being investigated by the FBI. I saw and heard some pretty awful things in that " medical department " If your loved one has any ongoing medical issues, I'd recommend trying your best to get them transferred.

The place is peaceful and I only saw one fight during my 6 months there. That only occurred because some guys had smuggled some booze in and were getting a little too tipsy. I found that they usually kept the temperatures really nice indoors. Though if you're not one who uses AC alot at home, you'll find it cold.

The real problem is there is just NOTHING to do. The " jobs " they give you are like busy work for children. I feel like the lucky ones are the guys who happen to make friends with a few good people. I wasn't so fortunate but had a bunkmate who kept me laughing.

Due to our crazy drug laws, there are a lot of black people there. If you're a white person who hasn't spent much time with black people, it can be an odd transition. But again, everyone gets along pretty well and it's peaceful.

Hmmm, what else? Well, the staff is woefully incompetent, but I suppose it's like that all over. It takes a special kind of person to want to do a job like that.

Well, that's about all I can think of. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Default PLease help

My brother justed entered into that camp & I have a ton of questions Maybe you can help, please. How do i send hime stuff, books, money etc... How do I get his inmate number so I can write him. He is in for 5 years and has never been in a facility before!! What can I send that would ease his time there.

Thank you so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Maryweather View Post
Absolutely. I'm happy to help. Is your loved one headed to the camp? I was in the camp, so that's really all I can tell you about.

I had never been to prison before ( I don't recommend it ) but many guys told me that the camp there has basically become a low or even medium. The place has huge barbed wire fences all around it, which I wasn't expecting. There is absolutely no weight lifting equipment there, so you're forced to walk the track or do pushups to pass time. It's unfortunate because a lot of guys do their time by working out. The odd thing is that the Medium across the way still has weights.

The library is a total joke. Though a lot of guys get various magazines and are good about sharing em. There are NO education programs there. I met a lot of guys who didn't even have a GED. They basically just give you a GED book and let you study it all on your own. There are no real classes to speak of. The food is, well it's indescribable. I worked in the kitchen and it was quite common for us to only have 3 of 10 ingredients a recipe called for. Again, the medium has all of the ingredients they need. The thinking is that nobody in the camp will do anything, whereas the medium guys will raise hell if they aren't treated right.

The medical there is downright criminal and I've heard it's being investigated by the FBI. I saw and heard some pretty awful things in that " medical department " If your loved one has any ongoing medical issues, I'd recommend trying your best to get them transferred.

The place is peaceful and I only saw one fight during my 6 months there. That only occurred because some guys had smuggled some booze in and were getting a little too tipsy. I found that they usually kept the temperatures really nice indoors. Though if you're not one who uses AC alot at home, you'll find it cold.

The real problem is there is just NOTHING to do. The " jobs " they give you are like busy work for children. I feel like the lucky ones are the guys who happen to make friends with a few good people. I wasn't so fortunate but had a bunkmate who kept me laughing.

Due to our crazy drug laws, there are a lot of black people there. If you're a white person who hasn't spent much time with black people, it can be an odd transition. But again, everyone gets along pretty well and it's peaceful.

Hmmm, what else? Well, the staff is woefully incompetent, but I suppose it's like that all over. It takes a special kind of person to want to do a job like that.

Well, that's about all I can think of. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Donation Award 

I live in NC and Estill SC is about four 4 hrs from me . A guy who works with my husband was in fed Prison and was in Estill and told me that was one of he best places he went..
My son is Going from NC to Calif.this makes me sick with worry