Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Weddings
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Weddings Everything about prison weddings - notices, stories, what to expect!

Old 11-24-2003, 04:51 PM
happy pto member

Default MINNESOTA marriage Q&A thread

anyone with questions about getting married in minnesota or anyone with information please post here. i will answer your questions or help you find your answers.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

sue

Last edited by TNC; 01-02-2004 at 11:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to E1950 For This Useful Post:
ilyloco17 (02-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2004, 06:48 AM
where is my mind....

Question

Hi there. My fiance is being sent to St. cloud soon, the being transferred to Stillwater most likely after his eval. We cant get married for a little while now but we were bot wondering what you need to do in order to get married in state prison. And the rules for it, like what you can/cant wear, how many guests you can have, photos, how much a liscense is, oh i feel so confused... i havent been able to find any information on anything, and neither has he, they wont tell him anything, or me anything, i dont understand...but please any help is greatly appreciated. thanks much -jennifer
Old 04-19-2004, 11:59 PM

We have recently submitted a series of questions to the MN DOC and here are the answers we received back

1. Does the State of Minnesota have a marriage packet that each partner
needs to complete in order to be eligible for marriage?---NO

2. Does the inmate or the future spouse contact the Warden for
permission to marry?---NO

3. Does the prison provide counseling through the prison chaplain or
does the couple have to provide proof of counseling from an outside source?---NO

4. Does the prison chaplain perform the marriage or does the couple
have to provide their own pastor and/or notary?---Provide their own officiant

5. Once approved, does the couple have the opportunity to spend a few
moments "alone" or does the wedding and all activities associated with the marriage take place in the visiting room?---Routine visit in visiting room

6. Does the couple have the opportunity for photos from a disposable
camera or does the prison provide any sort of pictures for the couple?---No photos

7. Does the prison provide a notary or does someone from the local
county clerks office come to the prison to make sure all paperwork is properly completed?---NO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNC For This Useful Post:
sadiesgram (10-14-2011), scorpiomom (09-02-2009)
Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Cheyenne

Default How to get married in minnesota

I need any information on getting married in minnesota prison? My boyfriend and i have been trying to get married since may but we can't find any information on how to do it...please help!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 AM
mary77

iam sorry to say that only 5% marriages make it when they are in prision
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Mrs. Hoffmeister

Default Need Wedding Official

Can you please tell me how or where I can find a wedding official????

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1950 View Post
anyone with questions about getting married in minnesota or anyone with information please post here. i will answer your questions or help you find your answers.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

sue
Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Mrs. Hoffmeister

Default To chev

You need to obtain a marriage license at any county court house in MN, you need to provide a wedding official (this is where I am stuck), you need 2 witnesses (they do not have to be on the visitor's list but it is easier that way), and it takes place during visiting hours! That's the info I got from the warden at Stillwater prison!

Last edited by Mrs.Hoffmeister; 09-05-2009 at 05:44 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.Hoffmeister For This Useful Post:
ilyloco17 (02-01-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 AM

I am so happy to see this post.
I have been trying so hard to get any information on marriages in minnesota.My fiance is in stillwater.I dont know where to start.We were minutes away from marriage befor incarceration.Long story but it was terrible for us.I need all the help I can get.In order to get a marriage license from the county recorders office what do i need from my fiances end?Do i send that into the prison after I get it?What can i wear the day of the ceremony?I am so confused on what I will need to do.What if i am unable to come across his birth certificate/ssc.His mother had all his personal belongings before he got sent to prison and I never thought to ask for them beings I never imagined I'd need them&with all the fraud now a days.I didnt want to lose them!Help,help..helppp me please!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM

Default Marrige????

[quote=E1950;335799]anyone with questions about getting married in minnesota or anyone with information please post here. i will answer your questions or help you find your answers.

Hi, I am new to this sight and I have been looking all night for someone that knew these answers please help. We want to get married as soon as possible.

Lonely but anxious
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 PM

my boyfriend is in faribault prison and we have been tryin to get married since jan. but i keep gettin stuck when i try to look for a minister....can someone help me with this?? and what is the price range that we will have to spend one one?HELP
Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbangel_23 View Post
my boyfriend is in faribault prison and we have been tryin to get married since jan. but i keep gettin stuck when i try to look for a minister....can someone help me with this?? and what is the price range that we will have to spend one one?HELP
Try calling the county clerk in the county that you'll be married in and ask them to send you a list of them. I'm in Arkansas, but that's what i just did and they were really nice and are sending me one!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM

has anybody here gotten married in a MN prison? What was it like? Where did it take place? Could he have a ring? Did you get to kiss him after being pronounced man and wife? Just curious, we are thinking about getting married in prison and wondering about the details. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
Hi there. My fiance is being sent to St. cloud soon, the being transferred to Stillwater most likely after his eval. We cant get married for a little while now but we were bot wondering what you need to do in order to get married in state prison. And the rules for it, like what you can/cant wear, how many guests you can have, photos, how much a liscense is, oh i feel so confused... i havent been able to find any information on anything, and neither has he, they wont tell him anything, or me anything, i dont understand...but please any help is greatly appreciated. thanks much -jennifer

jennifer you can get married at the st. cloud prison my fiance was just there he got transferred to faribult. but in order for you to get married in st cloud who ever is going to merry you to has to get on his visitation list and any guests that you want there they do it during a regular visiting time. you have to but these stupid photo cards from a vending machine they have they are $3 each picture. you can call the prison for more info there number is 320-240-3000-----jazmyne
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
lostgurl

hi I'm new to the site, my fiancé and I were planning to get married on April 1st however we ran into an issue. We found an officiant but apparently in Oak Park Heights they don't provide a notary. Does anyone know of a notary that will travel to the prison and notarize the supplemental application for marriage license for non appearing party? This is the only thing standing in our way. Thank for any advice.
Tia

Last edited by lostgurl1969; 03-23-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM

Tia
Hi,I am the mom of an inmate.My son and his girl have their date set for July 8th.The rings are bought.The license has been gotten.His girl went to the Faribault Court hse,got the license.Had his Birth Certificate and hers.She then mailed it to my son at Faribault,his case manager Notorized it and all is falling in to placeExcept!!!
Where did you find someone to marry you?Please help us!!!!As for your thing,both parties do not need to be present,for notary.Get your license,send it to your guy,have him fill out all necessary info.Have him mail it back to you,and you take it to the county registrar where u purchased the license and have it notorized,with his
Birth Certificate with you.Or call them first,and make sure this is all good.Are you sure his case manager cannot notorize your license??Please feel free to contact me
if u need to and I,m hoping to hear from you about who can marry couples in prison?
Thanx
Joni
Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 AM
iheartsjc

Default Duluth FPC

my fiance is in the duluth camp and i would like to know if anyone here has information on getting married there. thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Does anyone know how Moose Lake facitlity works? I have the lic. all completed, have the officiant and the date is set, I have no idea what happens once in the visiting room, and how we sign it agai, or if we do have to sign lic. once married? any help would be great. As Moose Lake is not the most user friendly!!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM

I am having problems being able to visit my fiance since i am on probation at the moment, my p.o. wont approve me to visit so does anyone know if I could even marry him in this situation?..
Old 07-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Default Wanting to get married at St cloud

Me and my guy want to get married but I have no idea where to begin. I got the info to apply for a marriage license online from the county. Does anybody know who could come and marry us. Also what documents do I need of his to obtain the license. I know St cloud does pictures its 3bucks if we on the outside get them and a Buck if they get them. Do they allow a regular kiss on the lips instead is the routine one hug n kiss on the cheek before and after the visit
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Default po problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnk2121 View Post
I am having problems being able to visit my fiance since i am on probation at the moment, my p.o. wont approve me to visit so does anyone know if I could even marry him in this situation?..
hi i am having the SAME problem please let me know what you find out!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM

hi i am having the SAME problem please let me know what you find out!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Alright, so my situation is more.... unique. My bf and i lie in different states. he was stationed in Washington and moved back to Minnesota with out me, and then he went to prison. We want to get married while he is in before I join the Navy. How do I go about getting a Minnesota marriage license while in WA so when I go out to visit him we can get officially married?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amllll93 View Post
Alright, so my situation is more.... unique. My bf and i lie in different states. he was stationed in Washington and moved back to Minnesota with out me, and then he went to prison. We want to get married while he is in before I join the Navy. How do I go about getting a Minnesota marriage license while in WA so when I go out to visit him we can get officially married?
You can go oline and get the marriage application..they have instrustions on thier site .. minnesota marriage licence .. youll have to get it done 5 days prior to whatever date the prison allows marriages
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Not prison-County Jail;

I'm wondering how I can go about marrying somebody who has been incarcerated in a county jail, well- a "government waiting center" type of deal. The person is most likely going to prison, but I'd like to marry him before he leaves county. We have our marriage license, we just have not made it official in front of an ordain minister. Is it possible to do in a county jail?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Smile Marriage question...

My fiance is in lino lakes in minnesota...we have the marriage license but looking for an officiant....how do we go about getting married?How many visitors are allowed to be on his list?can you just have the guards be a witness or do you have to have two people come in?we were planning to get married april first but all of this happened...i am just confused as to what to do...and do you get married in front of everyone in the visiting room or is it private?any help would be great. thank you so much