Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

OREGON Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Oregon - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Felon-friendly housing?

i am looking to move, preferably to the salem or portland area, but i need to find a felon friendly place. Anyone know of a resource or anyone I can talk to? my guys mom says I should just move in and when he gets out just tell them we just got together.....i'm not sure what to do. He's not going to be home for about 6 months, but I want to find an affordable place now, the place i'm at is with two roommates and is too far from work. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,777 Times in 4,313 Posts

If your name is on the lease and you are a good tenant, then it seems like the landlord would be more likely not to raise a fuss when he gets out and moves in - how long before he gets out though?? Z.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Boss

6 months, that is exciting!
Most apartment complexes, rental agencies and private owners do not run criminal backgrounds checks, only credit checks. If they do, they tell you upfront because they do not want to waste their time if this is a requirement. When looking for a place to rent, you can mention to the owners/agencies they you may be getting a roomate, and ask if there are any restrictions on that. I would not volunteer the info that he is an ex-prisoner. Good luck with your search!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM

thank you ladies, well, he was supposed to get out in 6 months with good behavior...we'll see...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM

*keep your fingers crossed* I am applying to places and just hoping that when he gets out they won't care or notice....either that or he really doesn't live there...he just comes to visit and sleeps over sometimes
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Please keep us posted on what you find out or PM me. I am in the same situation, i am looking to move from Montana to Oregon and am thinking of probably Salem. I have been looking at a lot of places but it will be good to know what you find out. Thanks, and good luck!! I have a little more time he won't be out for 18-20 months but still need to move out there to be closer to him.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM

My suggestion is to not volunteer the info unless they say that they do criminal background checks.. Besides if it's in your name you dont have to say anything until the time comes and if they dont live on site then it shouldnt be a problem..
If he is a sex offender then thats a different problem. I wouldnt worry about it.. Someday when he is back on his feet he may buy you a house...
Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmke08 View Post
I wouldnt worry about it.. Someday when he is back on his feet he may buy you a house...

Ha ha ha! I love it....I'm hoping the same thing! What he told me was that on their sheet they have to turn in is if you live in apartment you have to get permission from the property manager or landlord. So I got a house, well duplex and he's not a sex offender so i'm good on that. The problem now is getting him moved from polk county (code name for H*LL) to marion county. So again *cross your fingers*

Oh and if you are moving to Salem, sica_621, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT move to West Salem zip= 97304. It is in polk county and you do not need to be there. Its not a good place.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwk For This Useful Post:
sica_621 (08-18-2008)
Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,777 Times in 4,313 Posts

What, exactly, is not good about it?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Smile Here's a place you might want to check

Theres a place in dallas that takes felons. The place is relatively cheap for 2 bedroom apartments. ranges from 435-525. The place is in dallas though.
Heres the complete address:

Angor Realty,Inc.
375 Main St.
P.O Box 226
Dallas, Or 97338
Ph: 503 623-8133
Fax503)623-3512
Good Luck on your search.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Bonnie and Clyde

Arrow Felony Friendly housing in Portland area

Does anyone know where a good "FELONY FRIENDLY" appartment is in the Portland area?!

Ive tried asking places that have posts on like CraigsList..
All of them pretty much laughed at me..!!

All my Money is under the table so I dont have pay stubs..
And he has 6 felonies

Hes out September 2nd!!
Has a job lined up and a place till he has money to get a place with me..

Anywhere from Oregon City to NorthWest Portland, Not NE or Vancouver however...

By the way, I just got my Bonnie and Clyde Tattoo!!
YEYY me!

Thanks in Advance !!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Boss

You just need to find a place that doesnt require income verification (this will be the hard one) or criminal background checks (not so hard). I would not ask "Do you do a do criminal background checks?", I would ask "What do you require from prospective renters?" Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one_luv For This Useful Post:
miss k_0836 (06-05-2009), TrueToMyLove (06-04-2009)
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

There are a couple of places to check:
-Local housing authority
-The prison chaplains office sometimes has a list
-Local DOC office - they know where offenders find housing
-Local prison ministries sometimes have housing contacts
Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Bonnie and Clyde

Talking Thankkk You

Thankkk You PHILB!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Donation Award 

Very helpful information PhilB. Thank you. I am in the need for just such information for something I am working on.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Default Felony housing

Hello,
I work for a large property management firm out of Portland, OR and thought I'd shed some light. Unfortunately, most companies do screen for criminal backgrounds anymore. I would also say sneaking him in would be a bad idea. Trying to find a place with a felony and an eviction would be near impossible in Oregon and many companies will evict you for keeping this information from them; I know ours does. Right or wrong, this is how many companies work. Do not fret, you do have good options! Many duplexes and privately owned/operated properties don't do criminal background checks, only credit. So, if you can look up craigs list, I would try looking into private owned rentals.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM

I guess I am ignorant on some of this stuff, but why don't they rent to felons? Do inmates get some sort of sheet when they are released saying for the last 3 years or whatever they have shown improvement or has been problem free or something to show that they have made changes? Seems to me that second chances are really hard to come by.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sosw50 For This Useful Post:
grannyG (06-11-2009), miss k_0836 (06-11-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
JEFFS LADY

Default Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmke08 View Post
My suggestion is to not volunteer the info unless they say that they do criminal background checks.. Besides if it's in your name you dont have to say anything until the time comes and if they dont live on site then it shouldnt be a problem..
If he is a sex offender then thats a different problem. I wouldnt worry about it.. Someday when he is back on his feet he may buy you a house...
Dosent the parole officer have to inspect the premisis? Talk to the landlord? I heard that you should have a place 6 months before so they can inspect. Is this True? Because im thinking in my case my man gets out in 18 months and im trying to get him to parole to douglas county vs. montomah county and I am hopeing he can I think if I have a stable place for him it might be easier and also enrolling him in college here . Or maybe I should marry him?

Last edited by kat39; 06-11-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Old 10-03-2009, 07:26 PM
JEFFS LADY

Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosw50 View Post
I guess I am ignorant on some of this stuff, but why don't they rent to felons? Do inmates get some sort of sheet when they are released saying for the last 3 years or whatever they have shown improvement or has been problem free or something to show that they have made changes? Seems to me that second chances are really hard to come by.

It goes with employment also. I know with my man he is hard working and determined NOT to go back so any employer would be lucky to have his dedication and strength. As far as Felon friendly housing. Im looking in washington county and yamhill county. Dont these property companies realize that alot of these men are wanting a second chance and do NOT want to go back. Making harder for them to live increases their chances of returning. I think it should be on a case by case basis. Not automatically shut someone down because they are on Parole. There are law abiding citizens out there who are not work oriented or create drama where they live. Just cause you have a clean background or great credit dont mean ur shit dont stink,, JMHO. I just get frustrated with people who dont belive in second chances because of what? is there data to back up their concerns or just BIASES?? Im talking companies mostly.

Last edited by kat39; 10-03-2009 at 07:27 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Boss

Parole officer will not talk to landlord. It's only an issue of property management/owner running a criminal background check.