Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Drug War
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Drug War A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Xanax and stealing?

My boyfriend was arrested last year for breaking into a house. He was on a handful of Xanax (10-20 pills) at the time. I haven't seen much posted about this drug in here. And was wondering if anyone else has experience or seen people steal things when on the drug? He never steals when he's sober, but as soon as he's on pills, he has no morals. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Son my Pride and Joy

I know we have talked before about xanax. Here's the link http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...ighlight=xanax

Wow 10 to 20 pills at once is a lot I think. Maybe he is having blackouts and not knowing what he is doing.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 AM

sounds just like my boyfriend. he'd never steal when sober, but when he's been on xanax, maybe 15-20 pills, he's been arrested for stealing, and he has also been breaking into houses a couple of times to steal more pills.

another thing i've noticed is that he get kinda violent, the few times he been into fights, he's been on xanax.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 PM

luckily Bret has never been violent. Although I'll admit, I've gotten a little fiesty with him once or twice. After so many times of pleading with him to stop, my worries turned into anger. He held me back the time I did that though. (Only happened once).
Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 AM

Xanax makes my son do some really stupid things....stealing is one of those things. I absolutely HATE that drug.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM

I have ask this question before but, I guess i will ask it again you get locked down they put you on the most expensive drug they can find to treat you then you get out you have to have it and your broke? the only reason i say this is because they had put my brother on elavile (i believe thats the way its spelt) anyway he was down for about 4 years and took it everyday then released and nothing.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Default Been there done that and don't wanna go back

xanax are very addictive and they sometimes make you do stupid things(first hand exper.)and i also know alot of people that have been on them...for me i was able to get off them but while i was on them i was very forgetful not like forgetting things for a few mins but more like i couldn't remember almost anything that happened the night or day before...it was crazy I also remember waking up one morning not being able to find anything i had the night before...xanax are the cause of my phone being stolen and misplacing 100 dollars for several hours which could have been stolen with my phone if i wouldn't have found it...Im just going to cut this short for now but if you have any ?'s about Xanax im here Please no rude remarks anyone...

Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Justin~Dylan~Damian

My Son, my Sister, and Sister in-law all get very mean when they are coming down from them......I am prescribed them and only take them when I need to, but even then I have never acted like that....I have a girlfriend who took 90 in 2 days and had a seizure, her husband took her to the e.r. and they did absolutely nothing. They are sopposed to be dangerous to just go off of them cold turkey also.....

Old 08-10-2008, 03:48 AM
wha'happen?

10 or 20 Xanax? What are these people, buffaloes? One puts me to sleep for 10 hours. The only thing I could steal would be some Z's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faddy555 For This Useful Post:
ChicosgrrlinCO (08-19-2008), Mz.MM (07-22-2011)
Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 AM
HeTaughtMeHow2Love

That wasnt very nice. Try to remember why we are all here.

My love is home...it's still a rough ride but here I am and here I will stay.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
replanted cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by faddy555 View Post
10 or 20 Xanax? What are these people, buffaloes? One puts me to sleep for 10 hours. The only thing I could steal would be some Z's.
That's what I'm sayin' cause I have a prescription for the .50mgs of the stuff. My BF Chico, even, (back in Chicago now living at home for the duration of his two year probation), who has ALWAYS done everything in full-blown excess, I don't think can imagine himself doing that many Xanax in one swallow (then again, he's done psychedelics in excess at once so who knows)

Overdose of anything, pills particularily, as we all know are a very bad thing and people react differently to how their drugs (alcohol included) do in their systems.

Last edited by ChicosgrrlinCO; 08-19-2008 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: needed to ad something
Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Banned

Xanax does nothing good for us, it makes my brother...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Donation Award 

Like any narcotic drug, the body develops a tolerance to xannax the longer you take it. A first time user will get the same effect from a .5 mg dose as a long time user will from 10-15 mgs. I found it helpful during our trial and when my baby was in the hospital because it does have an initial calming effect, however the potential for abuse is high and I found myself falling asleep at the wheel and being really irritable with family and friends. I got really obsessive about everything too. My house was immaculate down to cleaning the baseboards with a toothbrush. I switched to valium which is a better choice for me because I forget to take it all the time so I'm obviously not addicted to it. With Xanax, I was counting the hours until the next dose.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:10 PM
My Baby is finally Home!!

Default Missing him

I have taken a half of a .05 and it knocked me out..only time i ever took it.. I know alot of people that use and abuse it but have never heard of anyone stealing from taking them..
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Missin my Wishbone

I have more experience with the effects of abusing this drug than I care to.
My daughter was taking 15 white bar Xanax a DAY when she went to rehab after wrecking my mothers Trailblazer at a pill house.
The drug and alcohol abuse counselor told me that next to heroin it is the hardest drug to come off of and has a high relapse rate.
It kills your ability to feel which in turn makes you have no moral compass. My daughter stole it all............money, from stores, her grandfathers fathers day gift card.
It also steals days from your life and when they lie...........they are convincing because they honestly dont remember doing it therefore they didnt.
It alters peoples behavior seriously when it is abused and it is dangerous to quit all on your own. One time she tried and her pulse got down to 19. Very scary!
After rehab she had a baby and still ended up relapsing once and got caught with 5 pills and is now on felony probation for 4 years. I pray every day she never takes another one.
They are too easy to get. People everywhere sell these things!
Her cousin who was her partner on crime just got sentenced to 4 years for stealing while on xanax. He doesnt even remember doing it. They used surveillance tapes to finally convince him it was him.
I hope he gets the help he needs finally!
Carrie
Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,328 Posts

I had no idea that xanex was so bad and addictive. I had a couple of prescriptions during the legal issues but was taking it only occasionally. I thought it was one of those "safe" drugs- not that any really are, but one that wasn't prone to abuse. My bad.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Xanax is exactly the reason my husband is in prison. HE has been arrested 3 times for burglary/robbery. Every time, he had taken xanax. I was prescribed xanax to help with sleep anxiety, and after we got married and i discovered his problem, I stopped getting my Rx filled. He tells me it makes him feel "10 feet tall". while taking xanax, he has robbed a bank, a McDonalds, grocery store, shoplifted from Walmart.. that I know of... it's a bad thing. Well IT is not bad, but the abuse is bad. People who are addicts find out every drug that can get them high. What's next, my birth control pills???? Its frustrating..

Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Come Rain or Come Shine

xanex is very addicting and i had to get off of it, i felt like i was loosing my mind. i have severe anxiety, so i went to the dr and told them i wanted to be treated for the long run, not just temporarily. since then i have been taking busbar daily, i have not had an attack in 2 weeks, and this has been probably 2 of the worst weeks of my life. so just to let you know, if anyone is really interested in treating their anxiety, that is the one that has helped me and i don't crave the other feeling of the euphoria.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 AM

first off, for a regular user, 10-20 xanax can be NOTHING to them. Also, there are different amounts of xanax out there. coming from personal experience, i used to steal random, stupid stuff while on xanax. um hello? salt and pepper shakers? ya! did it! haha but Xanax can be really addicted and very very hard to come off of!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:27 PM

I am in the same situation...the man I've been wih for 3 years and have 2 beatuiful baby boys with is now in prison in Oklahoma for burglary and yes, he was on those stupid pills. When he takes xanax he turns into a whole diffferent person. Infact, he was arrested June of this year on a whole other case...he called me and told me that he was going to buy some pills and I told him not to because he always does stupid things when he does...and sure enogh he did. He was arrested for stealing a womans purse out of her car at a gas station. Xanax have been a problem with him ever since his mom was released from prison and began to feed him the pills as she did the same for herself...why would anyone want to set their child up like that?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 PM
carole54frogs

Unhappy

I have been reading these posts for quite some time, I am confused as to why an anxiety pill like xanax, would be the reason to make a person commit crimes...

I know I am older but, I just don't understand....I take this drug for panic attacks and it calms me the hell down..

so explain to me please...are they taking too many or stealing to get them?

I assume they are not under a drs care so therefor are getting them any way they can...do they react differently on different people ?

Last edited by carole54frogs; 12-12-2008 at 11:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to carole54frogs For This Useful Post:
Hinky (10-19-2010)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole54frogs View Post
I have been reading these posts for quite some time, I am confused as to why an anxiety pill like xanax, would be the reason to make a person commit crimes...

I know I am older but, I just don't understand....I take this drug for panic attacks and it calms me the hell down..

so explain to me please...are they taking too many or stealing to get them?

I assume they are not under a drs care so therefor are getting them any way they can...do they react differently on different people ?
just like it is perscribed to you to calm your nerves, that is exactly what it does. It in a way takes the edge off and calmes their nerves taking away some of the nervousness that sometimes prevent those urges to do those sorts of things...like when I was taking them it kind of gave me the confidence and took away the control I had and I would say whatever was on my mind without thi nking about it...you kind of feal fearless in a way. Then magnify that by the insane amount of those pills that they actually take.
The Following User Says Thank You to lnh_ok For This Useful Post:
carole54frogs (12-13-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Wide Awake Site Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,164 Posts

Hi, Xanax, taken as prescribed can help to alleviate anxiety or panic. I believe that it comes in 3-4 different strengths; .25, .5, .75 & 1. They are scored and can be split and are ususally not prescribed more often than 3 x per day--over a short period of time (a month?). Xanax is REALLY dangerous with alcohol--it intensifies the effects. Here's what drugs.com says:
What are the possible side effects of Xanax?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
  • unusual risk-taking behavior, decreased inhibitions, no fear of danger;
  • depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
  • hyperactivity, agitation, hostility, hallucinations;
  • feeling light-headed, fainting;
  • seizure (convulsions);
  • urinating less than usual or not at all;
  • muscle twitching, tremor; or
  • jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Since we are talking about people taking this drug in much greater rates than prescribed, and taking the med when it is not prescribed for them, the danger is great. Also, for people who started to take them through their doctor, then found their stress was great and the pill not so effective, it's easy to start taking 2 or 3 pills...Prescription meds can fool you into thinking they are safe. Your doctor may not be prescribing the best thing, which complicates the whole picture. Let's face it, if we take something when the world sucks and we start to feel better, there's a good chance we'll do it again. The problem is, we ge too relaxed about it (don't use as prescribed), have a glass of wine, too, then another...all of a sudden sleep isn't so elusive...but the EMT's can't wake us up.

Last edited by InsomniaCT; 12-13-2008 at 01:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
carole54frogs (12-13-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Xanax is a very horrible drug if it's abused.My best friend had a problem with them,the bad thing is that when they are taking them they have no idea what they are doing and won't even remember it when they come down,atleast that is the way he was.I would tell him what he had done and how he was acting and he would be so ashamed of himself.When sober he was the nicest guy in the world but after a few Xanax he would become an ASS and think he could take on anyone.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM

I have taken xanax off and on for about 5 years for anxiety which leads to sleeplessness. In a correct dosage and for the person who needs it medically, its fine. For a drug addict (or anyone who wants to "party"), they may take 5 or 10 and wash it down with beer or liquor. That's where the bad stuff happens. My husband has been put in prison 3 times. EVERY time he had been drinking and taking someone else's xanax. I told him when he comes home, I will NOT be getting any more even if my dr continues to prescribe it. There are alot of drugs that have ill effects when taken NOT as directed or as recreational. And Xanax so far seems the worst of them. It makes my husband into a different person. Bold, loud, like he can do anything and there's not a care in the world. That is what led him to rob a bank, a McDonald's, a grocery store, and tried to break into a pharmacy. I wish Xanax would be more controlled (or off the market).