Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Default "Best" & worst FL prisons

hi all... i was wondering with everyone having ppl in diff FL prisons, which are better or worse than others? Im sure theyre all horrible in one way or another, it is prison after all, but are some better/worse than others?

thanks for all your input in advance
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart.-s&tc
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Justin~Dylan~Damian

Well I know that Florida State Prison was one of the rougher ones my husband was in and also Tomoka C.I. I also know that Avon Park C.I. was very laid back. All have pros and cons.

The Following User Says Thank You to maria3lynn For This Useful Post:
IrishFire (03-16-2010)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Account Closed

Bay CF is pretty good...its an inside camp and the gurads are fairly laid back...its ran different than state prisons because its privately owned and they have really good programs and the food is great!!

My boyfriend is at Santa Rosa right now and it sucks!!!! Its a maximum security prison and the gurads are very petty...they get on them about all kinds of retarded junk...many of them have the power trip thing going on! @ visitation though they're okay...some of them have their moments but my bae says the food really sucks there and the dorms are hot as hell!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM

my husband was in Taylor which was horrible and now Union which he says is better than Taylor by very high security.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 AM

One inmate I know who had been in multiple facilities in N. Florida said that Gulf Annex was the only place he didn't have access to drugs and alcohol.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
strong enough

My husband said Gulf CI and Santa Rosa were the worst he has ever been too, he said even though it is a lockdown prison the most violence he saw was at FSP!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
kellyj91982

my man is at franklin c.i. and it is awful! the officers are very petty and they won't even let them sit down when they are on the telephone. they must stand! that's not even a rule! he was at everglades with his last bid and that camp is very laid back and much better than where he is now.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
<3 my man!!!

My hubby has been in several institutions. I like Everglades and Martin the best. The only bad thing about Martin is a CO named Mrs. Poston. (she is rude and no help) but for the most part the guards left you alone. Glades CI where he is currently housed is the worst. The CO's their are just ignorant.

My hubby has been to Everglades, SFRC, Martin, Columbia, Glades and Charlotte. I would love to go back to Everglades or Martin.

Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamidolfangirl For This Useful Post:
MikesKitty (08-25-2008), nightbird (07-31-2009)
Old 07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Im lost without him..

Man oh man, glades c.i...my boyfriend was only there for a short period of time and told me how bad it was...i hope your husband is doin alright!

good luck miamidolfangirl!!
miamidolfangirl (07-08-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Glades CI where he is currently housed is the worst. The CO's their are just ignorant.

That is what my buddy Stacii told me about GLADES CI.
He said the guards are so incredibly rude. I am suppose to be visiting soon and I am a little nervous about that.?????

KIMI06
Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 PM

My husband is in Madison Work Camp. He says that it's pretty laid back. He's been there since 3/5 and has 1yr more to get out. Madison is like almost Georgia and is about 5 1/2hrs away but I'm afraid to wish him anywhere closer because I don't want him to go somewhere worse. The main facility there is called "Maxed Out Madison" because the guards will give you a DR for nothing but the work camp seems to be okay. I've only visited once so far because he's so far away but will going back next week when I'm on vaca.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Polk CI is supposed to be a good facility. There is usually a 2 yr waiting list to get into that facility as most inmates will tell you that it is an easy going and laid back facility. Many, Many ages ago my dad worked at Polk CI and a few other surrounding facilities and still says Polk is a better facility. Yvonne
Old 12-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Century CI is pretty decent across the board...
Franklin was the worst in my experience....
RMC West Unit was also decent- Except that they put my fiance's medical problems on the back burner for the longest- When that was the reason he was at that camp to begin with. But its FL DOC ... what else is new!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Not Sure Why This Time

Well, Okeechobee C.I., visitation at least, can be really laid back depending on the officers working that day. The people at the front where you check in are jerks but the one's in VP are okay.

You are watched like a hawk, of course, and there are officers everywhere most times. As long as you aren't being too affectionate they don't really bother you.

The visitation is in and outside and is pretty small.

Note: there are a lot of cameras at the outside area of visitation and they DO watch the tapes later on.

The actual prison itself sucks of course. Lock-downs for everything you do...not a lot of ventilation...officers working the prison are the type to pick on inmates, etc...it depends on how you present yourself and get along with them...
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 PM

My man has been in both Gulf Annex and Gulf Main. He says they are full of some of the most hateful racist guards you may ever encounter. I live in NYC and have not yet been able to visit him... so I cannot say for sure as I have had no dealings with them. One thing I will say tho, when I call I am most of the time treated with respect... except for one Classification Officer he had who ignored my calls and would never call me back and after I e-mailed the warden he answered me very abrubt and short-like... but did not cross any lines (remember it was an e-mail, which would mean I would have had proof of any unprofessionalism on his part)... funny thing was that I could not believe that he signed his e-mail "Buster"... not Mr. so & so... or Officer whatnot... just "Buster". I was laughing so hard as I couldn't even believe that was somebody's real name... let alone the way they would sign a professional e-mail. Go figure.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
ForeverFrankie

My fiance just got transferred out of MooreHaven-what a hell hole they are a private prison but they are so petty there he got in trouble for really stupid things and we were being harassed there and basically when i spoke to the warden his response was that my fiance needs to follow rules...which has nothing to do with the fact that the guards threatened me or him. Don't even think about calling either because they will be of ZERO help-half the time I was like do you even work there?! because they had no idea what i was even asking. Visitation was bs they basically stared at us all day long, and if you look good-forget it you are getting harassed....and they are super strict like once they yelled at us because my shoe was touching his under the table-not like rubbing or anything we didn't even realize it. I just pray he goes to a better camp now-currently we are at SFRC waiting to be transferred.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do!"

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankieswifey For This Useful Post:
Flagirl1960 (06-01-2012), nightbird (07-28-2009)
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Mrs E missing her Mr E

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieswifey View Post
My fiance just got transferred out of MooreHaven-what a hell hole they are a private prison but they are so petty there he got in trouble for really stupid things and we were being harassed there and basically when i spoke to the warden his response was that my fiance needs to follow rules...which has nothing to do with the fact that the guards threatened me or him. Don't even think about calling either because they will be of ZERO help-half the time I was like do you even work there?! because they had no idea what i was even asking. Visitation was bs they basically stared at us all day long, and if you look good-forget it you are getting harassed....and they are super strict like once they yelled at us because my shoe was touching his under the table-not like rubbing or anything we didn't even realize it. I just pray he goes to a better camp now-currently we are at SFRC waiting to be
transferred.

My baby is currently at SFRC waiting to be transferred also, what dorm is he in, mine is in J if I am not mistaken, how are you with the phone calls and what have you.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
ALL ABOUT MY HUSBAND

My husband is in a new camp and its so hard even when i go to visit him its so stressful. You think they would make it less stressful
Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM

...My husband was at apalachee c.i....and we thought that place was the worst, til he got transfered to holmes c.i.!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 PM
HE'S ALMOST HOME!!!!!
Donation Award 

My husband is at Hamilton Annex and IT IS THE WORST prison in all of Florida. The gaurds are Very Vindictive.

He's been at Gulf (Bad), Tomoka (Alright except for a couple of inmates and crawling with drugs...not good), Lake Butler (All right), Union (All right except for a certain now ex female officer ), Cross City (GOOD), and like I said Hamilton Annex (THE WORST)

I mean he said he would actually take Taylor over this place.

~SPIKESWIFE~

Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

I sm not really sure what we all want to know. My husband would sugar coat everything---for me not to worry. My dad was a marine in WWII- never heard any war stories. (WOULD NEVER UPSET HIS WIFE AND KIDS FOR WHAT HE WENT THROUGH) Their job as men are to protect us. I just spoke to him, and says gulf ci is ok----but he is not in there for a long time. He said Lake Butler much worse with all the pills and stuff----go figure they give the free range of pills.
Old fashoined as it may be----a man is to protect a woman it is nature. They will fiGht their war and come home---I am lucky mine is enlisted for a short time.
They are men---they will survive!!!! But will we----YES WE WILL.
If this is a repeat for your man---think about not giving him stuff--money--phone calls--tough love I will tell you this is the 1 and only time I will deal with this.
Good luck and God Bless you all!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Moore Haven Correctional is pretty good...my husband's been there for two years and it's not bad... It's one of the safest ones...the guards ARE petty but that's because nothing major really happens there. I think it's one of the best ones in the state...it's air conditioned and the inmates don't have to worry too much about fights.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Stayin' Down

My man is at Columbia Annex in the re entry program there... It's pretty laid back... visiting there was actually really really nice. The guards were friendly and very helpful. His CO is a wonderful lady who is sooo helpful and even came out to meet his mom, sister and me when we arrived in Florida and then let him know we arrived safely. He's been at Calhoun and Taylor, and he will take Columbia any day

Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

My man is in Baker CI.. I actually like it.. its laid back... i have not been to visit yet, but i heard a lot of good things about it.. he use to be in golf he said it was bad in there, the mail is pretty fast in baker and the phone lady is super nice
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
keljoe4life

Default best and worst florida prisons

can anybody tell me what are good and worse prisons are in florida? my husband wants to transfer to region 3 or 4 to be closer to home any ino would be appricated?