Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona subforum.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default Cooking Their Food With Stingers??

Anyone know what a stinger is? My hon. said on the 3 yard they were given stingers to heat up water to warm their store food.

Curious how that works...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 AM
...and the plot thickens.
Donation Award 

it's basically just a heating element like you would find in a water heater, on the stove, etc. when you plug it in and stick it in the water, it heats it up

I'M STILL A MAD, MAD WOMAN.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Yep pretty much a gotta have item once you make it to a 3 yard or below.

They have a tendency to burn out and Keefe raised the price last year on them from like 3.75 to almost $19 bucks for the same thing.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Yes they did raise the price, I bought my boyfriends for him last year for 3.75 and he says now that they are around 19.00 for one---I am truly hoping that his will last until he comes home next April so that we dont have to buy another one! My babe would be lost without his, he has to have his coffee!!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Donation Award 

Yikes!!! $19.00!!! That is a prime example of how greedy AZDOC is with their store items!!! Thank God they have microwaves available where my honey is housed.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM

Yep I had a Microwave in my run at Gila, pretty nice perk. Had my own room, A/C cold enough to freeze you out not to bad a lifestyle if you gotta do time. A world of difference from my days a Kiabab and Rynning. Sure made me appreciate it when i made it down there, sure didnt want to screw up and get bounced back up.
I think everybody should start on the higher yards so they knew what they had going for them instead of taking it for granted like so many do..
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersGal View Post
Yes they did raise the price, I bought my boyfriends for him last year for 3.75 and he says now that they are around 19.00 for one---I am truly hoping that his will last until he comes home next April so that we dont have to buy another one! My babe would be lost without his, he has to have his coffee!!
That's what Bry just told me last weekend. But they are now selling adapters for the CD players. Get this they are selling those for $5.00 but a flipping stiner is $19??? He expects those prices to go up here shortly...just a matter of time.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ2010 View Post
That's what Bry just told me last weekend. But they are now selling adapters for the CD players. Get this they are selling those for $5.00 but a flipping stiner is $19??? He expects those prices to go up here shortly...just a matter of time.
Brian grabbed his at that price for the same reason....he thinks they're going to catch on and raise the price of that too!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Well, I guess you guys don't have worry about stingers any more. Someone at Lewis complained about not being able to get a stinger to heat up food so effective yesterday at 9:30 p.m. it was announced in my hon's yard that the inmates are not able to buy any kind of food any longer (through their commissary) which requires heating, including freaking coffee!!! Sorry, folks but I am really ticked off right now. I just found out about this a little while ago.

What are the guys supposed to live off during the weekend when they don't get any cooked food? Cookies, chips??? Those folks who come up with those kind of rules should get a dose of their own regs. That would be my suggestion.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Forever His ♥
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,249 Times in 2,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim's gal View Post
Well, I guess you guys don't have worry about stingers any more. Someone at Lewis complained about not being able to get a stinger to heat up food so effective yesterday at 9:30 p.m. it was announced in my hon's yard that the inmates are not able to buy any kind of food any longer (through their commissary) which requires heating, including freaking coffee!!! Sorry, folks but I am really ticked off right now. I just found out about this a little while ago.

What are the guys supposed to live off during the weekend when they don't get any cooked food? Cookies, chips??? Those folks who come up with those kind of rules should get a dose of their own regs. That would be my suggestion.
I'm sorry to hear about this, but there's more than one way to heat it up.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 AM

Tims Gal
Not that I doubt what you heard, but I highly doubt that what you heard is fact. just a rumor to get people fired up. Dont see them taking coffee away. and a lot of guys just use the hot water out of the tap to drink theirs. If I am wrong I'll say sorry but I doubt I'll have to apoligise.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcon196548 View Post
Tims Gal
Not that I doubt what you heard, but I highly doubt that what you heard is fact. just a rumor to get people fired up. Dont see them taking coffee away. and a lot of guys just use the hot water out of the tap to drink theirs. If I am wrong I'll say sorry but I doubt I'll have to apoligise.
i would agree with that! the c/o's probably just said that just say they quit acting up and realize what they might lose but hello this ain't no kindergarten to play that kind of deals with them. shyt that kind of stuff can call a riot. Coffee and food to them is something they look forward to having.

HE IS COMMING HOME ON AUGUST 1, 2008 .. YEPEEE
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM

I should have mentioned this information came straight from the D.W. who had a meeting with the inmates. I think this is pretty severe. Maybe Briandi can confirm this. Her man is in a different unit but she always hears what's going on at that place. I'm always looking forward to my daily phone calls from Tim but hearing about the food situation has me bummed out.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Patience Sucks!

Default Stingers - Immersion coils

I've eaten food made by the inmates for a feast after one of our Pagan Rituals, again, I was a volunteer there. I asked Stephen how he cooked the green chili meat in his house. He said that they put all the ingredients in a plastic ice bag and submerged it in water they'd put in a styrofoam cooler. They then put a stinger into the water until it boiled long enough to cook the meat. pretty ingenious.

I can't post hyper links yet....guess I need to post more but here's a link for those of you who don't know what one is.

http:
//zenstoves.net/Stove Selection/ImmersionCoil.jpg

I do know that if you plug in the stinger without it being immersed in liquid, it will more than likely short out, melt the aluminum and render it useless. That's what mine did in my dorm days.

Hope this was of some help

Old 06-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Donation Award 

I'll see what I can find out.....seems to me like they threatened this once before and it actually resulted in a riot.....it was a 4 yard though...is Tim at a 4 yard Ute?

Taking away coffee and heated food would be a bad decision on the DW's part....he must be looking to start crap....

I will talk to my baby tomorrow and see what he's heard....I read something on the DOC web site about them not getting heated food from the quarterly package only on 4 and 5 yards, but not from regular store!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Donation Award 

My man told me today that they were told that all max and closed yards are going to have items needing heating removed from their store list. He was told that the warden is going to try to get coffee back. The upsetting part is that they send guys to dinner as early as 2pm...since they only get two meals on weekends, it just doesn't seem right.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
almost home
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh View Post
My man told me today that they were told that all max and closed yards are going to have items needing heating removed from their store list. He was told that the warden is going to try to get coffee back. The upsetting part is that they send guys to dinner as early as 2pm...since they only get two meals on weekends, it just doesn't seem right.

My husband hates chow time anymore - I mean really - how many times can you eat eggs ...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Yes, he is still at a level 4 yard for a few more months. He said all ADOC level 4 & 5 yards are affected by this new reg. I see that dlh has confirmed the story with her man. So, what can be done about it from the outside? I know a lot a grievances will be filed by the inmates. Their meals supposedly have been switched over to a healthier selection and now ADOC takes food items away (without alternatives to replace them) which the guys need to survive the weekend.

I heard the best place to contact is the Central Office. Does anybody have a point of contact there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandi View Post
I'll see what I can find out.....seems to me like they threatened this once before and it actually resulted in a riot.....it was a 4 yard though...is Tim at a 4 yard Ute?

Taking away coffee and heated food would be a bad decision on the DW's part....he must be looking to start crap....

I will talk to my baby tomorrow and see what he's heard....I read something on the DOC web site about them not getting heated food from the quarterly package only on 4 and 5 yards, but not from regular store!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Donation Award 

It was confirmed only that Stinger's are not allowed at 4 & 5 yards....about them taking coffee...now there's something that needs to be done about that before all hell breaks loose....it's really NOT hard at all to make a homemade stinger. Although it's considered contraband the guys do it all the time.

As far as a point of contact there....the inmate & Family liaion is the only place I have ever really called about complex issues. Other than that I have only called the complex. Ask for Ms. Pena...she is pretty helpful.

Last edited by briandi; 06-30-2008 at 10:15 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to briandi For This Useful Post:
Tim's gal (06-30-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 02:38 PM

There havnt been Stingers allowed on the 4/5 yards for a long time. Plus you can't by soups there. Roast beef and Stew have always been available. Coffee being taken away is total crap I hope that whoever is threatening that thinks it through. At Rynning the water out of the faucet was plenty hot enough to make a good cup of instant Keefe coffee or Folgers crystals. As for improvising a homemade stinger I can tell you 5 different ways and the all work pretty good, just don't let the CO'S find them cause they love to write you up for dangerous contraband tickets.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

My husband told me about them taking several things off their store list too...they always seem to be taking, taking, taking from the guys!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 AM

Default Good News

Just wanted to let you know that Tim called me last night and told me that the guys got their food back (meaning that they can order the commissary items again which were just taken away a few days ago)...

Yeah! That makes me feel so much better.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Donation Award 

that is great news! I hope it's for all yards.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

That's good news...!!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Arizona Inmate

A lot of us cook with stingers. MOST level 3 yards let you have a stinger. We can buy a stinger here in WILMOT.

A Stinger is a little metal loop with white cord that plugs into the wall. The electric charge heats up the water. Now when i was up in Winslow, 4 yard. I used fingernail clippers with a cut cord. and wrapped that around and plugged it in. Worked just the same.

So the boiling water can be used to steam our bagels, or put it in our tamales to heat up, etc.