Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Default paternity testing of an inmate

my brother is locked up but recently found out that the daughter of one of his ex girlfriends could be his, is there anyway he can get a paternity test done? he was told he had to contact someone outside of the prison, but wasnt given any information on who to contact. she's willing to take the test but im not sure how he goes about giving a sample of his dna to be tested. if anyone knows, please let me know asap! thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM

I believe it needs to be through a court order. Usually the court orders the DNA test

The Following User Says Thank You to pristock230 For This Useful Post:
LadyRevlon (05-22-2008)
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Donation Award 

If she is going to paternity court, they will probably order all possible fathers tested, anyway. That is what happened with my ex. Otherwise, I'm not sure, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to redhaired_dolly For This Useful Post:
LadyRevlon (05-22-2008)
Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Default My experience...

When I got on DSHS assistence they proceeded to require the father's info on the girls...when I informed them that their birth certificates were not correct they forwarded this to the local Prosecutor's office (strange how it went through them) which has a Child Support Enforcement Division. They did all the paperwork--we both cooperated and he, myself and the girls were all tested, the court order was put through and now the birth certificates are being corrected per the court order and he's on the hook for child support (but not upset about it). We didn't have to pay for the process, the filing or the DNA testing since it was in the States interest to pursue the girls father in order to recoup some of the money their "giving" us while he's inside.

The short answer then is; Have the girlfriend contact the Support Enforcement Division of whatever state...they'll get the ball rolling and it won't cost them anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeesyAdams For This Useful Post:
LadyRevlon (05-22-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM

oh thanks. but how do i get information and the contact information for the support enforcement division? would he end up having to pay child support and all that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaElise2007 View Post
When I got on DSHS assistence they proceeded to require the father's info on the girls...when I informed them that their birth certificates were not correct they forwarded this to the local Prosecutor's office (strange how it went through them) which has a Child Support Enforcement Division. They did all the paperwork--we both cooperated and he, myself and the girls were all tested, the court order was put through and now the birth certificates are being corrected per the court order and he's on the hook for child support (but not upset about it). We didn't have to pay for the process, the filing or the DNA testing since it was in the States interest to pursue the girls father in order to recoup some of the money their "giving" us while he's inside.

The short answer then is; Have the girlfriend contact the Support Enforcement Division of whatever state...they'll get the ball rolling and it won't cost them anything.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Here is the link for your State...

Yes, he will be on the hook for child support...but it's calculated based on his income which is negligable while he's incarcerated. In WA state the minimum is $25 a month. If he wants to be the kids Dad then he shouldn't have trouble supporting the child financially!

www.childsup.cahwnet.gov Just click on the "Establish Paternity" tab on the left hand side of the main page there and all the details should be there. Good luck!

GiaElise
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,099 Times in 217 Posts

They should have his DNA because he is in the system. Love Barb