Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Prison Phones
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Phones Discuss problems, solutions and other issues relating to institutional phone systems here

Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM

Question My V Connect Prepaid Account

HI EVERYONE, I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD ANSWER A QUESTION FOR ME. MY BOYFRIEND IS CURRENTLY AT ATLANTA USP AND I HAVE A PREPAID ACCOUNT WITH V CONNECT BUT HE IS AWAITING TRANSFER TO MCCREARY USP IN KENTUCKY. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT ACCOUNT WILL AUTOMATICALLLY TRANSFER AND IF THE MONEY ALREADY I N PLACE WILL STILL APPLY TO THE NEW FACILITY. I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND I AM WONDERING ALSO IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A CHEAPER AND PERMISSABLE WAY I COULD COMMUNICATE WITH HIM CHEAPER AS OF RIGHT NOW I AM ABOUT 5 DOLLARS PER CALL. I DONT WANT TO TRY THE VIRTUAL NUMBER THING AS I HAVE READ IS NOT ALLOWED AND COULD LEAD HIM TO LOSE HIS PHONE PRIVILEGES. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS, LOVESLADY
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm moving on!!

Hey there..I am here in colorado and when they transfer and such, your number don't...you have to set up a new account with VAC...because the number that is being used is a land-line or whatever, and of course, they go by the number entered...so good luck...they will refund what you have on the account but they don't transfer...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Default VAC Phones

The money will not transfer automatically because they do not know where he is. You of course can change the location on line, but you actually have to call VAC and have them transfer the funds to the new institution.

If he is transferred to a location where you can not do pre-paid, you will need to set up an inmate debit account. If you still have money on your prepaid account, they will transfer that for a one time courtesy and once he receives his PIN number he will be able to use those funds. It doesn't limit him to only call your number however. That money can be used to call whoever he wants on his calling list.

If you want to try and get cheaper calls, you can always sign up with a cell phone company and ask them to give you a local number to where he is located at. For instance, you can live in Virginia, he can be in Dallas, Texas and you can tell the cell company when you sign up that you need to have a local Dallas phone number. Then when he calls you at that Dallas number, you could be anywhere in the US.

I hope that helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fidelsgirl For This Useful Post:
cutiemix1985 (02-22-2010), loveslady (06-25-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 11:51 AM

Hi Loveslady,
I don't know about the account being transfered..but what I do know is it is CHEAPER for him to calll you prepaid than it is for him to call you collect....they get 300 minutes of phone time a month ( that is not beginning on the first it goes by the last digit of their social and then they add 2 to it or something like that) mine get's his minutes validated each month on the 10th.
They get 300 minutes and 400 in November and December for the holidays this total does include collect calls as well.
It cost a little over 2.00 a call when he calls you and the calls last for 15 minutes before the call is ended and then they have to wait 30 minutes before they can call you back again if they want, so that others can use the phone as well and everyone gets a turn.
It would be cheaper for you if you can afford it to put money on his books for him to get prepaid calls instead of calling you collect.
The prepaid calls are also really nice because he can call you on your cell phone too or anywhere really, which takes the pressure off of you feeling like you have to be at home all the time or at a certain time to catch his calls mine catches me on the weekends on my cell while I'm out at the mall etc. It's really nice just walking around talking to him on my cell..I know it's weird but n a small way it makes me feel closer to him like he's close by ..and then reality hits!....LOL
We talk almost everyday and we are getting ready for June to do one call a day for 10 min and then this way he can call me everyday. I have a timer on my cordless phone so that helps keep track of the time and they also sell stop watches for them in McCreary although they are expensive at 63.00 a piece but very helpful if he wants to just call for a few minutes just to hear your voice or tell you something important etc. Good luck.

Last edited by Destiny111; 05-27-2008 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: add more info
The Following User Says Thank You to Destiny111 For This Useful Post:
loveslady (06-25-2008)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny111 View Post
Hi Loveslady,
I don't know about the account being transfered..but what I do know is it is CHEAPER for him to calll you prepaid than it is for him to call you collect....they get 300 minutes of phone time a month ( that is not beginning on the first it goes by the last digit of their social and then they add 2 to it or something like that) mine get's his minutes validated each month on the 10th.
They get 300 minutes and 400 in November and December for the holidays this total does include collect calls as well.
It cost a little over 2.00 a call when he calls you and the calls last for 15 minutes before the call is ended and then they have to wait 30 minutes before they can call you back again if they want, so that others can use the phone as well and everyone gets a turn.
It would be cheaper for you if you can afford it to put money on his books for him to get prepaid calls instead of calling you collect.
The prepaid calls are also really nice because he can call you on your cell phone too or anywhere really, which takes the pressure off of you feeling like you have to be at home all the time or at a certain time to catch his calls mine catches me on the weekends on my cell while I'm out at the mall etc. It's really nice just walking around talking to him on my cell..I know it's weird but n a small way it makes me feel closer to him like he's close by ..and then reality hits!....LOL
We talk almost everyday and we are getting ready for June to do one call a day for 10 min and then this way he can call me everyday. I have a timer on my cordless phone so that helps keep track of the time and they also sell stop watches for them in McCreary although they are expensive at 63.00 a piece but very helpful if he wants to just call for a few minutes just to hear your voice or tell you something important etc. Good luck.
thank you so very much you are so helpful, actually my boyfriend must have found out about the 300 minutes per month b/c he told me he was going to stop calling me collect b/c it would be cheaper. i didn't really understand but i told him i would let him decide what he felt was best for both of us. thank you again for all your help

You come to love not by finding the perfect person but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly
Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Riding This Bid Together
Donation Award 

My husband just arrived to USP McCreary and I have three phone numbers, one is my house landline , my cell phone is the other and then I have one cell phone that I get a local phone number to it from around whereever he is at. So now that he is at McCreary I will change it to the local number there, it is cheaper that way. But the account still works no matter where he is if you do not change your phone number. The only way that it is affected is if you change any of the numbers. By the way, most cell phone and landline companies have call forwarding included in their pay plans. You can forward your house phone to your cell when you leave the house and vice versa so no matter where you are the calls will follow you. Now that he moved from Big Sandy to McCreary I am changing the extra cell phone number to a local number, Big Sandy had the same area code so it is not much of a difference but i live in New Jersey and getting a number with the same are code made a big difference. I paid $7 a 15 minute call pre-pay VAC to my jersey number, but only .90 a 15 minute call to the local number. Add it up, it makes a big difference. Cell phone company do not care what number you pick and most digital landline (Voyage, Optimum voice and Comcast Digital) phone let you pick the area code and are you want. So unless you changed your phone numbers, the VAC account is still effective no matter what Federal facility he is at. If you notice on the VAC page it says "any federal institution" in the location area. Getting a local number also helps with the prepay account that they have at the facility if you make the account that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Su Corazon For This Useful Post:
sharonda (07-11-2011)