Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Laws & Legislation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Virginia Laws & Legislation Post all legal information and questions here about laws and legislation in Virginia.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Crying for her

Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,480 Posts
Default Need info on Detention & Diversion

I was wondering if anyone remembers back in 2005 (I think) where Virginia inmates were getting time credited to their sentences for doing a program such as Detention Diversion. If so, I would really like some information. I am trying to help a friend at VCCW who spent 5 months in the Detention Diversion Program, but never got credit for it. Any help would be appreciated. I hope I am in the right place as I am new to this. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Did They Complet the program
\

Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Crying for her

Yes, she did 5 months in the diverson part. I was in prison in 2005 when everyone was getting their time credited for doing residential programs. Who, if you know can I write or contact about her time?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM

she will only be able to get credit for her time in diversion IF it is the same crime time she is serving now ( make sense?) You can call downtown and ask for Time Computation person.. If you do write make sure you certify the letter so you have a copy of who got what. I too was there in 2005 and wrote many letters for some of the girls who got 3-9 months back yes!!! ( do I know you?)
Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Crying for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisacg View Post
she will only be able to get credit for her time in diversion IF it is the same crime time she is serving now ( make sense?) You can call downtown and ask for Time Computation person.. If you do write make sure you certify the letter so you have a copy of who got what. I too was there in 2005 and wrote many letters for some of the girls who got 3-9 months back yes!!! ( do I know you?)
Yes this makes sense and I did send a certified letter out. It is for the same crime, however, originally they only gave her 3 of the 5 months she served. I am beginning to think we know each other.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 AM

She is entitled to her full 5 months,,, stay on them and send another letter with attached law where GA changed so inmates would receive credit. Isn't it a damn joke of how time is computed.
Believe we may know each other... have you ever heard of Legal Justice ( charlottesville, va)? they contacte me last nite ( via-Frank Green) so they are coming to Souhtwest VA to interview me. you can e-mail me at (email removed per PTO policy)

Last edited by dwfighterva; 06-19-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Myersp you'd have to contact DOC, the offender management section or time computations and explain to them the situation and they should be able to credit the time, and yes it should be credited if the program was completed and there should be some record of them completing the program....

Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM

call 804-674-3563 and after the recording press 0 to speak to an administrator

Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Crying for her

thanks ctzgirl, I will do that on Monday.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanked 2,531 Times in 2,415 Posts

The same thing happened to my husband. He did 5 months at a detention center back in 98 and they didn't want to give his time off for whatever reasons, to sorry to do the paperwork, I figured.... Anyway, I called the detention center that he was at and asked about it and explained the situation to them and they contacted his counselor at the prison and he got credit for his 5 months..... "there is more than one way to skin a cat", as my grandmother used to say, lol and no I'm not a cat hater, just an expression...... I hope this helps........
Old 07-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Crying for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmyhusbandto View Post
The same thing happened to my husband. He did 5 months at a detention center back in 98 and they didn't want to give his time off for whatever reasons, to sorry to do the paperwork, I figured.... Anyway, I called the detention center that he was at and asked about it and explained the situation to them and they contacted his counselor at the prison and he got credit for his 5 months..... "there is more than one way to skin a cat", as my grandmother used to say, lol and no I'm not a cat hater, just an expression...... I hope this helps........
Thanks alot for the info. I have written downtown and am awaiting an answer. Best believe I will be calling the Diversion center on Monday. Did you have to wait very long for an update to the credit of time?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM

Default Detention and Diversion Time Credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersp0870 View Post
Thanks alot for the info. I have written downtown and am awaiting an answer. Best believe I will be calling the Diversion center on Monday. Did you have to wait very long for an update to the credit of time?
I am still a little confused about how the detention and diversion time credit works. My husband got a probation violation charge in 2007. He was sentenced to a year and that year was suspended on the condition that he successfully complete detention and diversion. He did and was released in Feb 2009. In March of 2009 he violated his probation again. He was sentenced to a year in prision last week. Does he get credit for the year that he spent at detention and diversion?
Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Nvr find a love like this

I have been told by DOC, lawyers, and jail employees. That they will ONLY receive the credit if the JUDGE specifies. Which means it has to be written into the sentencing order. You can call down to DOC, and ask for the court and legal dept. Ask if they have received the court orders(they'll ask what day he was sentenced), it takes anywhere from a few weeks, to 60 days for them to be received. They can tell you if the sentencing report specifies.

OR

you can call to the court he was sentenced in, and they can tell you.

Hubby was sentenced to 3.5 years prob. viol. for the same crime he served detention/diversion time for. We haven't actually gotten his release date yet, but I've called the courts AND DOC to confirm that they know he gets time served for it. That's a year off, so I'm not taking ANY chances!!!

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!! 10.12.10
Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing4him View Post
I am still a little confused about how the detention and diversion time credit works. My husband got a probation violation charge in 2007. He was sentenced to a year and that year was suspended on the condition that he successfully complete detention and diversion. He did and was released in Feb 2009. In March of 2009 he violated his probation again. He was sentenced to a year in prision last week. Does he get credit for the year that he spent at detention and diversion?
I would think that if he was given suspension based on completing D&D, that was for that first violation. Since he violated again, that would be a new charge and has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do on previous charges. Usually, they will add new time on and add back in any time suspended on the first charge. Maybe I am wrong, but I think he will have to serve this last year since it is new and if he just got a year, they didn't add anymore. Hopefully someone else can come along and give you better news.