Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Donation Award 

Default Who hires felons in Memphis

Does anyone in the Memphis, Tennessee area know of any employers that don't make a big deal about felony convictions? Or better yet, know of any companies that do not bother with background checks? I got laid off from my last job in January and I have not found another yet that will give me a chance in spite of my record. I have 3 children I'm trying to support and state assistance is not even enough to pay rent.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Hi actually just today I was LOOKING for information on jobs for person whom have served time and I found something in Memphis called Second Chance Program try goggling it and see if you can pull it up if not I will try to get you the website info. I was actually looking for jobs in Arkansas when I found this.Good luck to you,Kitty
j chalet (05-14-2008), MissingMike87 (05-13-2008)
Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Donation Award 

Hello Kitty,

I heard about the Second Chance Program a couple of years ago. They accept apllications once or twice a year and they screen folks to get a job with the city or county. They actually have a few companies they contract with as well. The thing is you can only have 1 felony conviction to be eligible for the program. Doesn't matter if you have 2 felonies ten years apart. Ineligible. But for those with just one.It's a great opprotunity for Second Chances.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM

I have a friend in Memphis that owns a logging business. They are always hiring. But, the work is very labor intensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vertical Smiles For This Useful Post:
cameronjones720 (12-07-2011)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Just don't want 2 b alone

Hi Kitty:

We're neighbors. Have you heard of Ablest Temporary Service? It's located in Southaven, MS. Which is maybe 5 miles from Memphis. I'm oh so bad with the direction thing til it's ridiculous but if you're fimiliar with this area, just go down Goodman Road. You will notice the car dealerships. On the left you will see the Malco (theatre) entrance. Keep going. You will see Schnucks grocery store on the right. Keep going. You will also pass by Kohls which will be on your right. Just keep going on until you see a a Wal-Green. Please stop by a service station and ask where it is l
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 AM

Do anyone know if the second chance program here in Memphis help people that is in a diversion program??? Because i only have this one felony...and i am in the diversion program for it. But any job i apply for they tell me that you have a felony. So its confusing. I have a pending Felony on my record...but once the diversion is over it will come off.....but i can't pay for my restitution because i don't have a job.....so its like i will go to jail soon......?????? HELP HELP HELP
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM

Default Needing a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical Smiles View Post
I have a friend in Memphis that owns a logging business. They are always hiring. But, the work is very labor intensive.
Hi my name is Cameron and I am currently looking for employment.I have been home now for a little over a year.I have successfully completed my year of parole & severly needing to re-enter the work world.I was employed at The Crock Pot 2 where I worked aggressively starting as a dishwasher and within a month moved up to a cook then to head cook.I am able to catch on to anything quick yes I am good with my hands.Looking to hear from you soon..Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Default Wanting to work

My name is Cameron and Im looking for an employer that needs a dependant and hard worker.I have been out a year now, did my time with no problems and successfully completed a year on parole with no problems.I was employed at The Crock Pot 2 were I started as a dishwasher then within a month proved myself to be a cook which then lead me to become a lead cook.My infant took sick which enabled me to continue to work so now I am in search for a new beginning...The second chance program will not help me because I am a repeated offender.Im here just needing some help and a chance...Thank you!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Contact Adecco in Hickory Hill. They may be able to place you also. Another suggestion would be to go to TN Technology Center and pick up a trade, the people at the unemployment office or your case worker can tell you how to get this paid for for free. People in areas like HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Carpentry, Brick Masonry and Concrete work are in high demand right now. People arent able to buy houses due to the economy so they are updating and fixing up the ones they have. Even if you cannot become a licensed plumber you can call around to different plumbers and electricians and Heating and Air folks because they are ALWAYS looking for helpers to help them and if you help and learn more about what they do then they may even be willing to make you an apprentice which makes it easier for you to get a license of your own and make yourself even more money. I hope this information helps and is a blessing to each one of you. I have said a prayer for each of you to find work and I wish you all the best of luck.