There will indeed be a new Transitional Center at Phillips State Prison in Buford Ga. They are in the process of tranferring several inmates to other prisons around the state. The Annex building will be utilized as the TC. As many as 30 - 40 inmates have already been transferred out of Phillips. I'm not sure what the time frame is on moving inmates into the TC or getting it up and running, but it sounds like they are well underway.
If anyone finds out any more info on this let please let us know! If this opens soon it might help some of our loves that are waiting. But I read the profile on phillips and they offer good programs and this is probally the closest place to our home but the part about problem inmates and closed prison I don't get. Is this a good place or bad ?
My son indicated to me that the inmates that they were moving out to other prisons were the problem inmates. As far as I can tell Phillips is one of the better prisons. I know I like it better than I did Smith. My son said one bad thing is they do not have cable! Can you imagine in this day and time, no cable. I don't know what they will do next year when everything goes digital. Maybe they will get it then. I think they do not have cable because they are close enough to Atlanta (and up on a hill) that they can get the channels "off-air". Other than that, my son says it is okay.
As far as all of the basic information, they do not have it up on the site yet.
So far, they have a good amount of inmates "residents" there, but are still expecting quite a few more to come in.
THE EXPERIENCE SO FAR HAS BEEN GREAT! (Even though he has only been there a week, we are super exceited about the possibilited of this place).
I havn't went to visitation yet, that will come soon. BUT here is what I do know:
- The Persons in Charge have Officers refer to them as "residents" NOT inmates.
- Approved Visitation List go with them and they are able to have visitation after being there 1 full week.
- You can bring them a roll of quarters and they are allowed to use payphones (for $0.50) OR they can also make the standard Collect Call (if they are out of quarters). We broke this down to see how much money we would be saving This means they can make 10 calls for $5 with their quarters OR 10 calls for $27 (collect).
- The first couple of weeks they are in orientation and other classes.
- The Transitional Center is contracting with different companies for the inmates to work. Currently they have one with a Chicken Plant BUT hey, the way we look at - something is better than nothing and at least he will begin bringing in some sort of income.
- After so many days (i think 30) then they are able to wear "street" clothes.
I know there is so much more, and as I come accross them I will be sure o let you guys know.
If in the mean time you think of any questions, let me know and i will me happy to try and answer.
Note: The above is regarding the Transitional Center at Phillips. NOT Phillips State Prison.
Hi everyone. I posted this in the DOC board, but then figured maybe it would be better to post this here. My bf has been at Phillips TC for almost 3 months. He wants to be transferred to Clayton TC because his mom can provide him transportation if he can get work. She's elderly and just recently had an operation so it's somewhat difficult for her to visit and help him with transportation. If he were to be paroled it would be to her home, which is in Clayton Co. anyway. Besides, 3 other people that came to Phillips after him have already been transferred to Clayton. That's not fair. So what do I do? Who do I need to speak to? Thank you.
You likely already know, but the first weekend they do not get visitors. Then it is by last name, twice a month. A-L is the 1st and 3rd weekend. The other is 2nd and 4th. After 21 days they are allowed a pass to go on a job interview. After 30-45 days (after classification) they are to be granted a 6 hour pass to a spouse or blood relative. I understand that they cannot travel more than 45 miles from the TC and need to have a land line phone at the house. I hope this helps.