Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Georgia Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
loving my lifer

Default Parole for LIFE sentence in GA??

I'm wondering what the probability is of my bf being paroled on the first try, or even ever. He's serving a life sentence for murder. He's up after serving 14 years next year. I know it's a long shot...I think I read somewhere that only 3% of lifers are paroled?? Does anyone have any idea of stats on parole for lifers....
How many are actually paroled and how long they have served?
How long the average set off date is after a denial. I think the max is 8 years??
He is so ready to make a difference in the world...to try to help people (especially kids) avoid the mistakes he's made. I'm trying so hard to encourage him but all the stats I see are most certainly NOT in our favor.

My strength-o-meter today is at about a 2.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 PM
waiting for him

I wish I knew. Its rare. Hubby is in for life too. Try to hang on there..
pray...
wish i could advise more..
Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

average is 17 -21 years for lifers....the first time is always denied.....but to get a clue how the future will be ...IF he gets less than the 8 years max for next parole time.....then it is a good chance then...i know in my experiecne...MY SO(a woman) had done 14(twice denied) but the second time she was given 3 years(this coming JUne) instead of 8 and PB stated it wa sa good thing , though of course there are no guarantees, but she already has had early parole interview(actually with a member which is rare), so iyt looks good....but nothing is positive til they are out the gates...too many false hopes.....take care and keep us in your thoughts....
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Mine is doing life also and was denied the first time up. Have a plan and everything set up. I had a job with a letter of guarantee from the employer who wanted to hire him, letters from people in the church who were willing to help him with adjustments once paroled, family members wrote letters of support. I had counseling set up in case he was paroled and they could see that all of us were really doing all we could to make sure he would succeed and he got a 4 year set off. This was very encouraging, because it give me hope that next time up, when I do all the same again for him, he will make it. Of course I know there is no guarantee, but I will do all I can up front to help and let the parole board see it's not just a one time thing. Plan and keep planning. Document and send letters.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 AM

Default one year set off

As some encouragement. My husband had two consecutive life sentences for murder and he was only set off one year his first time up. I will tell you this regardless of what people say--a parole attorney is a great investment--the proof is above...we are up again later this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to alongtimeago For This Useful Post:
southerngrl4luv (06-07-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Josh's Mom

Wow it does vary. I've been watching the DOC website for the past 8 or 9 years and it seems like the average time spent is about 20 years. I "think", if the crime occurred and a person was convicted up until 1996, the 7 year (before eligibility) rule was in place. From 1996 until 2006 it was a 14 year (parole eligibility) rule and after 2006 it is 30 years before eligible. Under the 14 year rule, if you do not make parole it is my understanding you are set off for 8 years. If you do not make it the second time then you come up every 2 years after that. Of course being paroled has a lot to do with the nature of the crime and how it was committed. I have seen some spend 30 years on a life sentence committed back in the 70's. So I am sure it also has to do with their prsion record. I often wonder why some get paroled a lot earlier than others. After reading this post it gives me encouragement.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
loving my lifer

Thanks all for the advice. Some days I feel like there's hope; others I sure don't.

He was sentenced the first year of the 14 year rule, and will come up in about a year. We're going back and forth about a parole attorney. Money aside, I can't see that it would hurt.

Jsnake....what was the 'early parole interview about'?

I'm confused about many things in this process....one being I know it's rare to have a meeting with an actual member but others meet with the inmate? I read something about a hearing examiner doing all the investigation?

I'll keep you all in prayer.